What do we need in the January window?

Well either or, we need another experienced holding midfielder.
We need another striker(s) and before the summer. Michut is supposedly able to play a deeper role. But principal of my statement holds true, buy players for first 11 everything you bring someone in and you'll improve. Only exception to that rule is when buying youth to develop.

We need another striker(s) and before the summer. Michut is supposedly able to play a deeper role. But principal of my statement holds true, buy players for first 11 everything you bring someone in and you'll improve. Only exception to that rule is when buying youth to develop.
Look at the Cardiff game, starts with Neil and Ba. We got totally overran in midfield that day, an awful performance. We desperately needed someone sitting in there with a bit of nous.

Unless we have leavers, I don’t see that we will bring anyone else in. To be honest, I don’t see the need for a club aiming for 5th / 6th at best. We’re looking to consolidate in mid table this season, and the squad is plenty good enough for that.

If ever there was a way we shouldn't be looking at things its that.

if we dont bring players in then we wont move on next season or do as well as this season "this squad is good enough etc etc" - it might be if we get lucky, but that's not how anyone should be looking or thinking. What we've seen at the moment is some weakness at the back, being short on strikers of our own and quite reliant on the like of Evans, who if he gets injured we'll be in trouble.

Every single window at anytime at a football club you have to be continually having an eye on the next season, next window and weeding out the surplus and bringing in new. That keeps things fresh and it gets some integrated now rather than introducing everyone in the summer and having to balance that.

And if we're doing our scouting and recruitment right it might not be big fees and being extravagant, it'll be taking advantage of situations like we did last Janaury.
Could agree but we've barely seen michut so can't comment on him. Could be answer if not an Evans replacement not understudy.

He looks very slight, talented, but not really ready for the rigours.

And saying that when we're almost half thenway through the season - it doesn't give you confidence he's suddenly going to be ready second half of the season as TM has shown confidence in others but not really utilised him much.

Last edited:

if we dont bring players in then we wont move on next season or do as well as this season "this squad is good enough etc etc" - it might be if we get lucky, but that's not how anyone should be looking or thinking. What we've seen at the moment is some weakness at the back, being short on strikers of our own and quite reliant on the like of Evans, who if he gets injured we'll be in trouble.

Every single window at anytime at a football club you have to be continually having an eye on the next season, next window and weeding out the surplus and bringing in new. That keeps things fresh and it gets some integrated now rather than introducing everyone in the summer and having to balance that.

And if we're doing our scouting and recruitment right it might not be big fees and being extravagant, it'll be taking advantage of situations like we did last Janaury.

And saying that when we're almost half thenway through the season - it doesn't give you confidence he's suddenly going to be ready second half of the season as TM has shown confidence in others but not really utilised him much.
Just gotta hope he comes good. It's clear where we need new players and they should never again be squad fillers.

We’ll see.

We’ve got 25 first team squad players. To progress we don’t need more, we need better (in every position) - that will only happen if there are outgoings from the current 25.

People seem to think that we’re a team full of potential premier league players, rather than a team who has spent 4 seasons in L1. We need to steadily build and grow the club over the course of a few seasons so that when we go up we have a good chance of staying up - Brentford / Leeds and not Norwich / Fulham.

Considering we should hopefully have the squad mostly back to full strength by the end of December (pending any new injuries), what position(s) do we need to invest in?

Additionally who can we afford/need to offload?

In
1x young promising striker to play third string and learn from those ahead of him.

Out
Hume, Sohna and Spellman loan to a league one team
Dajaku loan out to a league one or another championship club assuming we get a young promising striker in

That’s it for me unless something special came up. I appreciate saying send spellman out on loan while saying we need to sign a young promising striker seems a bit contradicting but it’s clear Mowbray isn’t gonna give that lad a chance here, so he needs to get out somewhere else and get some goals to get himself in the bosses thinking.

Those three young lads have the potential to break into the first team but they really need minutes this season and it’s clear they won’t get them here.
Why would you want rid of Hume when he is our only right back and starting to impress?

January is often a hard window to bring in any quality. Maybe an experienced CM from the Prem on loan who's out of favour at his club and a young striker in if we're lucky.

I think we'll also need to make a bit of room in the squad to accommodate a new signing or two so Dajaku, Hume and Matete/Ba could be loaned out.

Good thing is we're not just needing numbers anymore, anyone we look to bring in now should be of a certain calibre to improve us or we just shouldn't bother and leave it till the summer.

January is often a hard window to bring in any quality. Maybe an experienced CM from the Prem on loan who's out of favour at his club and a young striker in if we're lucky.

I think we'll also need to make a bit of room in the squad to accommodate a new signing or two so Dajaku, Hume and Matete/Ba could be loaned out.

Good thing is we're not just needing numbers anymore, anyone we look to bring in now should be of a certain calibre to improve us or we just shouldn't bother and leave it till the summer.
Till one of the strikers gets injured. Back to square one. Good to get excuses I'm nice and early though.

Yeah, why would they recall him to play in their U23 team, when they can keep him in the shop window. Will never make it at Man Utd.

Loved the window under Keano when we brought in Carlos Edwards....will go down as one of the best short term signings the club ever made.
We signed defoe the first time I'm January, and tallal el taltouri 😊

Yeah, why would they recall him to play in their U23 team, when they can keep him in the shop window. Will never make it at Man Utd.

Loved the window under Keano when we brought in Carlos Edwards....will go down as one of the best short term signings the club ever made.

Think the best Jan I seen for us was under big Sam and the 3 K's coming in. Total game changers them for that 2nd half of the season.

We'll only be playing with one upfront anyway so unless both get injured, we're not back to square one at all.
So your saying you don't need a player on the bench. If simms went down tomorrow you'd be happy with Stewart for rest of season! I'm starting to wonder if your mentally ill as anyone can see that's leaving us too short.

So your saying you don't need a player on the bench. If simms went down tomorrow you'd be happy with Stewart for rest of season! I'm starting to wonder if your mentally ill as anyone can see that's leaving us too short.

I've already said I'd be looking to bring a young striker in if the right player is available. Diallo has started getting amongst the goals and getting more confident too. All 3 are fit now, no need to be wishing anymore injuries on the lads especially when none of them are known for being sick notes.

No mental illness here btw, but that doesn't make you any less of a tit for trying to imply it.

I've already said I'd be looking to bring a young striker in if the right player is available. Diallo has started getting amongst the goals and getting more confident too. All 3 are fit now, no need to be wishing anymore injuries on the lads especially when none of them are known for being sick notes.

No mental illness here btw, but that doesn't make you any less of a tit for trying to imply it.
Diallio is not a striker. Everyone has seen how playing without one has effected team shape and results. We've 2 strikers, neither of whom are fully fit and one who's notbeven ours. We need someone for rest of season and we're in desperate need before the summer, no matter how much you'd like to cover for speakmans mistakes

Depends how ambitious we are for this season. If we want to have a real crack at promotion then I’d say a centre forward, central midfielder and maybe an experienced keeper. The first two should be long term first choice options and the latter at least good enough to put serious pressure on Patterson for his place.

Back