What crackdown? Hospital car parks raked in a record £175m last year

I'm sure there is a way around it. They already do find the way around for blue badge holders.

However, I think really hospitals like the income. And without it the public would still have to make up the shortfall via increased taxes anyway. So I'm not too fussed. Why should those who can/will walk or use public transport have to subsidize those who drive there? It's not ideal, but neither is telling the country income tax is going up by 1%, or the NHS is getting less funding and services will be cut.

Our hospital parking is getting ridiculous - it'll cost me £5 to get the bairn to her appointment this afternoon and she's got multiple appointments at the moment because of various issues she's got wrong with her. They touted the tram stopping at the hospital as the solution to all our problems with hospital parking but it's so bloody unreliable (car's got stuck on the tracks and blocked the service again which means we're going to have to car it in) that there's no alternative but to pay it (our part of town doesn't have a bus service at all now).

Don't think we have parking eye or anything running through - just an overworked bloke with a bag of parking tickets running around getting all the medical students who just leave their cars wherever they can get away with leaving them.

I chose to single it out as it was mentioned by another poster as the police being the same as NHS. Obviously its not
Fair.

There are major parking issues at Police sites. Similarly to NHS staff there are people coming and going to Police sites 24 hours a day. Not all officers. Expecting staff members to park and walk in the middle of the night in proximity to some police stations isn't ideal, especially considering Police Officers and Staff are at greater risk than pretty much any other profession at the moment.

Fair.

There are major parking issues at Police sites. Similarly to NHS staff there are people coming and going to Police sites 24 hours a day. Not all officers. Expecting staff members to park and walk in the middle of the night in proximity to some police stations isn't ideal, especially considering Police Officers and Staff are at greater risk than pretty much any other profession at the moment.
All sites should be adequately secure for staff

Well the hospital has hundreds of free parking spots at night so it's not really comparable mate. ;)
Haha, I know it's not a direct comparison, sorry if it came across like that. Was just making the point hospital staff are far from the only ones who might have to / choose to walk to their car in the hours of darkness.

After Brexit it'll all be free what with all the money going into the NHS every day and that.

Nurses and hospital staff are being charged to park it' disgusting...

That’s if they can even get a permit to park in the staff car park in the first place. It took three years for my daughter to get hers.

I appreciate there will be exceptions. I am going to assume most car parking used at hospitals is not by people who need their car for work though.

You would be wrong. Visitor parking is only a small, transient amount of the parking in most hospitals. The bulk of hospital parking is for staff, many of whom travel large distances to work.

Last edited:
That’s if they can even get a permit to park in the staff car park in the first place. It took three years for my daughter to get hers.
The best system is not to have a waiting list and do it by proximity and availability of public transport. So it is a simple yes or no regardless how long you have been there.

A waiting list just creates a them and us situation!

Took the bairn to the pictures at the Metro Centre yesterday, was absolutely rammed and the only space I could find was over the retail park near Pizza Hut, wasn’t until I got back to the car that I’d noticed it said 4 hours max stay, recon i was 4 1/2 hours, I’m expecting a fine through the post at some point as sure it’s monitored by cameras in and out.

Keep your cinema tickets and any receipts to show that you were there on lawful business and they should waive the fine.

Half a weeks worth of the money promised to the NHS every single week by Brexit campaigners. Once that comes through they can presumably scrap the charges. Will look forward to it.

That article is a load of rubbish, I’d be willing to bet the figures quoted are top line figures. That is the amount of money taken from users of the car park, not the amount actually received by the hospital after taking off the parking eye company fees and profits.

I also strongly disagree with this idea that cancer patients and disabled badge holders be singled out again. Why should they get free car parking when others don’t? When I was receiving my 6 weekly Infliximab infusions I used to go to the same unit as the cancer patients, and be sat there just as long. Under those suggested guidelines I would pay for the parking, but they wouldn’t. We can both die from inneffective treatment, so where is the difference? When I’m having a flare up of Crohn’s I can be extremely fatigued which makes even standing cooking a simple meal a trial of endurance, let alone walking all round a car park, and yet I don’t qualify for a blue badge - nobody with Crohn’s does.

We have got to stop singling out one condition for special treatment, and acknowledge all conditions that have an impact on people’s health. Not all cancer patients require chemotherapy, and not all people with Crohn’s are badly affected by it. If you’re going to assume worst case scenario then do it for all conditions. Don’t even get me started on prescription charges!

That article is a load of rubbish, I’d be willing to bet the figures quoted are top line figures. That is the amount of money taken from users of the car park, not the amount actually received by the hospital after taking off the parking eye company fees and profits.

I also strongly disagree with this idea that cancer patients and disabled badge holders be singled out again. Why should they get free car parking when others don’t? When I was receiving my 6 weekly Infliximab infusions I used to go to the same unit as the cancer patients, and be sat there just as long. Under those suggested guidelines I would pay for the parking, but they wouldn’t. We can both die from inneffective treatment, so where is the difference? When I’m having a flare up of Crohn’s I can be extremely fatigued which makes even standing cooking a simple meal a trial of endurance, let alone walking all round a car park, and yet I don’t qualify for a blue badge - nobody with Crohn’s does.

We have got to stop singling out one condition for special treatment, and acknowledge all conditions that have an impact on people’s health. Not all cancer patients require chemotherapy, and not all people with Crohn’s are badly affected by it. If you’re going to assume worst case scenario then do it for all conditions. Don’t even get me started on prescription charges!
Its almost like cancer is the only cohort of patients that require special treatment (not detracting from it seriousness). It is done due to being an emotive subject whereas other diseases will be just as serious but not receive the headlines such as dialysis patients.

I know some hospitals have addressed it with issuing permits to patients with long term conditions like @becs mentioned earlier but i dont think it is publicised enough for people to know.

In terms of the revenue the situation is complicated further by PFI projects including car parks. Who gets the revenue then? the trust or the PFI contractor?

Having worked within the parking industry I'm on the fence with this to be honest. Without charging people to park where does the money come from to maintain and build the car parks, pay the staff and pay for very expensive barriers and ticket machines etc. Without any proper parking spaces and or enforcement it would be chaos, there'd be cars parked all over, blocking ambulances etc etc. However Prices should be set just to cover cost and not to profit. Parking eye etc should be banned
Are you thick?

If we don't charge, where does the money to pay for very expensive barriers and ticket machines come from?

Think about what you just wrote!

They cant be driven at the same time but could be all be parked at the same time ;)
how would that work? Does someone drive to hospital park their car, get the bus home and drive car no.2 in????

Last edited:
I know some hospitals have addressed it with issuing permits to patients with long term conditions like @becs mentioned earlier but i dont think it is publicised enough for people to know.

We only found out about the permits because someone on here told me. None of the hospital staff told us about it and there's nothing on the car park signs about it.

Are you thick?

If we don't charge, where does the money to pay for very expensive barriers and ticket machines come from?

how would that work? Does someone drive to hospital park their car, get the bus home and drive car no.2 in????
Wow pipe down. Its the way these things work, everyone has a slice

Are you thick?

I was merely pointing out to the thicko poster that the 600,000 new cars registered bore no correlation to the number of driving license holders

So you think blue badge holders shouldn't park for free because you don't qualify for one ? also a Blue badge isn't awarded based on what condition you have it's how it affects you, though as you know everything you already know that....

I was merely pointing out to the thicko poster that the 600,000 new cars registered bore no correlation to the number of driving license holders
No mention of how many cars are scrapped, crashed, stolen and sent to a different country either.

Back