What a great idea. Gardening for food

The introduction to HF-W's first book is fantastic. Although he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and was sent to Eton with the rest of the privileged generation, the book is superb. He writes about self-sufficiency. It's not all or nothing, there is a spectrum.

At one end are the lazy or ignorant who believe ready meals and take-away are cheaper or more convenient. The throw-away society.

At the other end are the hippy vegans who don't go shopping.

(Both comments with tongue in cheek)

I like being able to creep up the spectrum. Bee hives for honey, chickens for eggs. We grow dozens and dozens of tomatoes. We have a sweet corn patch that yields starters all through summer. Beans, parsnips and leeks. Blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, plums and apples.

I'd never buy a ready meal. Where's the fun in that? I love cooking meals from scratch and always make dinner for the family. Doesn't take long and chopping stuff up with a very sharp knife, Absokute 80s on radio and a glass of wine is both fun and hazardous.

The introduction to HF-W's first book is fantastic. Although he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and was sent to Eton with the rest of the privileged generation, the book is superb. He writes about self-sufficiency. It's not all or nothing, there is a spectrum.

At one end are the lazy or ignorant who believe ready meals and take-away are cheaper or more convenient. The throw-away society.

At the other end are the hippy vegans who don't go shopping.

(Both comments with tongue in cheek)

I like being able to creep up the spectrum. Bee hives for honey, chickens for eggs. We grow dozens and dozens of tomatoes. We have a sweet corn patch that yields starters all through summer. Beans, parsnips and leeks. Blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, gooseberries, plums and apples.

I'd never buy a ready meal. Where's the fun in that? I love cooking meals from scratch and always make dinner for the family. Doesn't take long and chopping stuff up with a very sharp knife, Absokute 80s on radio and a glass of wine is both fun and hazardous.

I do forage where i can. Certainly summer fruits.. I have bags of blackberries still in the freezer for crumbles all year

Back