What’s the worst place you’ve ever been to?

Yeah, fair point. I travelled all around the States that summer at Atlanta was far and away the worst place we visited. We were supposed to stay there 2 or 3 days, but in the end decided to leave the same day and extend our stay in New Orleans.....which was the best decision I ever made
Can't argue that New Orleans is the more interesting city.

Port Clarence
My father was born there....he would have agreed with you had he still been alive.
Left , went to Deal in Kent and joined the Royal Marines so it was one less mouth to feed for his ma ..( not long after his father passed away)
He said when he got on the train to go south he had never been out of the Billingham/mbro area...he was only 16 ! and nee one saw him off
He had lived in Port Clarence and Haverton Hill so Kent must have been something !

Russia
----

Guatamala city.
I accidentally stayed in a brothel there.
It was a cheap hotel in a dodgy part of town when the country was in the middle of a civil war.

----

I didn't feel very safe hitch hiking around the States either.
Got some lifts off some proper weirdos.
----

For those knocking Albania,
Albania is great.
My favourite country in Europe.
Algeciras in Spain.
We were based in Gibraltar, and went to Algeciras (around 14 miles away) for a pre season friendly against Sunderland, some years ago. ☹

Did you go for a drink on the waterfront after the match, when they tried to rip us off, about 5 of us, and the gay Brazilian hustler?

Last edited:
Port Clarence is the worst place in the north east ... in the world it's a tough call, but I'll still say Luton.

I sometimes drive past Port Clarence and up the Seal Sands road just to gawp at the outright poverty and dismal views. It's quite fun.
Coming up the A19, just come off at Stockton and follow the signs for Haverton Hill and then Hartlepool, it's like another world ...

Theres a bnb in port clarence which is £35 a week!
Bet its breathtaking!

Russia
----

Guatamala city.
I accidentally stayed in a brothel there.
It was a cheap hotel in a dodgy part of town when the country was in the middle of a civil war.

----

I didn't feel very safe hitch hiking around the States either.
Got some lifts off some proper weirdos.
----

For those knocking Albania,
Albania is great.
My favourite country in Europe.

Did you go for a drink on the waterfront after the match, when they tried to rip us off, about 5 of us, and the gay Brazilian hustler?
No, we didn't hang around long enough after the match, and headed back to Gibraltar, where we were staying.
At the time, my Spanish was very limited, and tried to get a cafe worker to book us a taxi from the ground after the game, but he was no help at all.
The was a large Muslim community in Algeciras, and they seemed very suspicious/wary, of us.
We'd earlier stayed in Seville for a few days, which I loved, and we went to the Seville vs SAFC pre season game, there.

Had a knife pulled on me in algeciras when waiting for the ferry across to tangier by a Moroccan guy, long time ago.
I can't say I'm at all surprised, mate.
I couldn't wait to get out of the place, and get back to the relative safety of Gibraltar.

Back