What’s the worst place you’ve ever been to?

Port Clarence is the worst place in the north east ... in the world it's a tough call, but I'll still say Luton.

I sometimes drive past Port Clarence and up the Seal Sands road just to gawp at the outright poverty and dismal views. It's quite fun.
Coming up the A19, just come off at Stockton and follow the signs for Haverton Hill and then Hartlepool, it's like another world ...

In terms of just utterly shit with no discernible culture or any reason to go back - Dubai
Dubai Tourism board seem to have done a terrific job. No intention of ever going there.

Actually I did - but it was in transit at the airport.
It doesn't matter where I may travel to in the World, I'm convinced that the answer will always be Blyth.
Spent a night in Blyth. Struggled to find a decent pub or restaurant.

Haverton Hill would've possibly trumped Port Clarence if it hadn't been raised to the ground in the 60s and 70s. Port Clarence a pale shadow of its former self , back in the day both would've give any shithole in Britain a run for their money

Dubai Tourism board seem to have done a terrific job. No intention of ever going there.

Actually I did - but it was in transit at the airport.

I used to go now and again for work (exebition in the world trade centre mostly). Always had enough time off when I went but there is fuck all to do anyway. Managed to stay in the Hilton on Jumairah Beach once which was nice, but still nothing to do. Mostly stayed in the Bonnington.

Only good thing I found there was Spice Island restaurant.

Went to the Buddha Bar one night and there were a couple of middle east celebrities in there. Its weird witnessing the celebrity effect when you have no idea who they are and dont care either.

Last edited:
Billingham centre has to be up there with the very worst places in England.

Its grim but you cant be very travelled if you havent seen worse.
Haverton Hill would've possibly trumped Port Clarence if it hadn't been raised to the ground in the 60s and 70s. Port Clarence a pale shadow of its former self , back in the day both would've give any shithole in Britain a run for their money

My mates dad broke down outside that old pub on the bend. Went in to use the phone. 20 mins later my mate n his mam go in fearing hed had a kicking n hes sat drinking with a load of locals hed been offshore with.:lol:

Last edited:
In the UK - Gillingham.

Abroad - the Molenbeek district of Brussels. (The only place I've ever been where I genuinely felt unsafe. Stopped off there lost in the car after having a half day potter about central Brussels on the way to the Belgian Grand Prix a few year ago. Certainly more rough than any suburban 'dodgy' area of London I've been to, same area the Charlie Hebdo shooters were from, absolute dump.)

Back