What’s the rules on finding cash?

i always keep money that i find, apart from once, when a bloke and his family were running for the train looked like a family day out and about 200 quid fell out his pocket. I picked it up and chased after him, gave it to him just as he was on the train. Have to say it was a nicer feeling than pocketing the cash

Say you moved into a new place. Then around 4 months later you took the shelves out of the kitchen cupboards and an envelope dropped down and it was full of cash.

Let’s say it had $2k in the envelope.

The old boy who lived here previously passed away.
What’s the right thing to do?

Depends if you want to be haunted or not I guess.

Find it in the street - hand into the police.

Find it in a house you bought years ago - fuck that, you own the house and everything in it once the contracts are signed.

Say you moved into a new place. Then around 4 months later you took the shelves out of the kitchen cupboards and an envelope dropped down and it was full of cash.

I would always try to get it to the rightful owner, but on this occasion u could say did the previous owner put it there, was it someone who was living there also or could it have been a previous tenant before last. You or anyone else will never know, so the only answer is enjoy it.

You’re supposed to contact the estate of the previous occupant, what you’re describing is theft m8. You know it’s not yours and have a reasonable idea of who it belongs to. So I would either delete this thread and keep it, or get in touch via your solicitor, or wait for plod to come knocking.
I've already grassed him. They're probably on their way round now with the bracelets ready.

No way would I hand any cash in. The dream is to find a couple of hundred grand in a holdall in the woods whilst out cycling.
Shove it under the mattress and launder it by spending it in pubs in lieu of real cash.

Once found a wallet belonging to an asylum seeker with a load of cash in it. Trousered the lot - well, it’s our taxpayers money anyway.
How'd you know it was an asylum seeker?

It had fell down the back of something so it's lucky you found it really. If the bloke is dead he's not coming looking for his cash (and if nobody has mentioned it to you or tried breaking into your house to find it, neither will they).

Only you can answer this question ;)

Back