What’s the longest it’s taken you to realise something?

Shocking behaviour. ISIS level religious punishment

GOOSEY GOOSEY GANDER (1784)
It’s hard to imagine that any rhyme with the phrase “goosey goosey” in its title could be described as anything but feelgood. But it’s actually a tale of religious persecution, during the days when Catholic priests would hide themselves in order to say their Latin-based prayers, a major no-no at the time—not even in the privacy of one’s own home. In the original version, the narrator comes upon an old man “who wouldn’t say his prayers. So I took him by his left leg. And threw him down the stairs.” Ouch!

GOOSEY GOOSEY GANDER (1784)
It’s hard to imagine that any rhyme with the phrase “goosey goosey” in its title could be described as anything but feelgood. But it’s actually a tale of religious persecution, during the days when Catholic priests would hide themselves in order to say their Latin-based prayers, a major no-no at the time—not even in the privacy of one’s own home. In the original version, the narrator comes upon an old man “who wouldn’t say his prayers. So I took him by his left leg. And threw him down the stairs.” Ouch!

Sounds about right. I have a book by Albert Jack called "Pop Goes the Weasel". I suspect that one's in there. It explains the etymology of nursery rhymes, poems and old songs etc. Quite interesting if you like that sort of thing.

Back