What’s the longest it’s taken you to realise something?

Dave Herbal

Striker
When I was a kid, I went to cub camp seemingly miles away (Moor House near Durham). I vividly remember looking out of my tent at night and seeing some lights on a tower or something in the distance and wondering what it was in this strange faraway land. Over the years, I often wondered what it was i’d seen.
This weekend, when I went to collect the boy from camp there, the penny finally dropped that I’d been looking at the Burnhope transmitter.
It’s taken me 36 years to work it out :lol: Anyone pondered something for longer than that?

Just sussed out a few years ago that loaf in the term 'Use your loaf' was cockney rhyming slang for head:oops:.......I think?
Thought it was from the trenches in WW1, they'd use a loaf of bread to check for snipers.

Probably some bollocks I got told as a kid and it's actually cockney rhyming slang. :lol:

Edit: Aye, was bollocks. f***ing rhyming slang. :oops:

Last edited:
When I was a kid, I went to cub camp seemingly miles away (Moor House near Durham). I vividly remember looking out of my tent at night and seeing some lights on a tower or something in the distance and wondering what it was in this strange faraway land. Over the years, I often wondered what it was i’d seen.
This weekend, when I went to collect the boy from camp there, the penny finally dropped that I’d been looking at the Burnhope transmitter.
It’s taken me 36 years to work it out :lol: Anyone pondered something for longer than that?

I realised what you were talking about by line 6.

As a bairn, as I was heading through Southwick toward the QA bridge, I always thought I could see Houghton Cut. It was until years later I realised it was actually the railway cutting at the back of Clatchy Rock. It’s generally in the same direction. As the crow flies and the form factor is similar, it’s just a lot further away.

Have you been in a cave for 36 years. You can see Burnhope from practically everywhere in the north east man.

I’ve mentiomed this before on here and was laughed at .

I always thought until a year ago pulling your skin back when getting a wee was a formality for keeping a fresh,clean penis and was something man had evolved to do .When I crack on about it on here and at work blokes don’t seem to do it and are hell bent on not even attempting it .
All I can say is there must be a lot of dirty dicks out there and poor wives with thrush etc .

I can't remember how old I was when it dawned upon me but I used to wonder why my dad never took me to the Imperial War Museum when it was only a short bus ride away.

Back