What’s the longest it’s taken you to realise something?

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Dave Herbal, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Dave Herbal

Dave Herbal Striker

When I was a kid, I went to cub camp seemingly miles away (Moor House near Durham). I vividly remember looking out of my tent at night and seeing some lights on a tower or something in the distance and wondering what it was in this strange faraway land. Over the years, I often wondered what it was i’d seen.
    This weekend, when I went to collect the boy from camp there, the penny finally dropped that I’d been looking at the Burnhope transmitter.
    It’s taken me 36 years to work it out :lol: Anyone pondered something for longer than that?

Lefty Frizzell, danbob, PTR and 10 others like this.
  2. mux

mux Striker Contributor

I used to think I was the only person in the world who could squint at a streetlight and make the light go off in all directions.

I confided in one of my friends about this aged about 15 and he told me I was fucking stupid and everyone could do it.

I was genuinely fucking gutted. Hit me hard that did.

3. miltonunez9

miltonunez9 Winger

Just sussed out a few years ago that loaf in the term 'Use your loaf' was cockney rhyming slang for head:oops:.......I think?

4. Thought it was from the trenches in WW1, they'd use a loaf of bread to check for snipers.

Probably some bollocks I got told as a kid and it's actually cockney rhyming slang. :lol:

Edit: Aye, was bollocks. Fucking rhyming slang. :oops:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018 at 12:40 AM
    Chappers, muggboots and miltonunez9 like this.
  5. Frijj

Frijj Striker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuck off man

6. :lol:

7. the boot

the boot Midfield

Only found out last year that the saying about the sea is. “It’s as flat as a mill pond”. Not milk pond.

8. duff_man

duff_man Striker

I realised what you were talking about by line 6.

twangmackem likes this.
  9. 6 fucking hellish weeks.

10. DurhamRedStripe

DurhamRedStripe Full Back

I thought neopolitan ice cream was called napoleon ice cream till I was about 14.

11. About 50 years to realize England may not win another World Cup in my lifetime.

12. heroesof73

heroesof73 Striker

Was your Sister called Josephine?

Bishop Boy likes this.
  13. Kevj

Kevj Winger

As a bairn, as I was heading through Southwick toward the QA bridge, I always thought I could see Houghton Cut. It was until years later I realised it was actually the railway cutting at the back of Clatchy Rock. It’s generally in the same direction. As the crow flies and the form factor is similar, it’s just a lot further away.

14. safcforever

safcforever Striker

36 years and counting for Sunderland to win something for me :lol: the lower down we are the less likely it is (anything major)

123SunTan and Bishop Boy like this.
  15. Jasper

Jasper Striker

Have you been in a cave for 36 years. You can see Burnhope from practically everywhere in the north east man.

Frijj and Pants like this.
  16. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Central Defender

17. max wartbug

max wartbug Winger

Took me about 50 years to realise that the majority of people are working an angle and it's not wise to take them at face value.

TopCat and miltonunez9 like this.
  18. gillythedilf

gillythedilf Striker

I’ve mentiomed this before on here and was laughed at .

I always thought until a year ago pulling your skin back when getting a wee was a formality for keeping a fresh,clean penis and was something man had evolved to do .When I crack on about it on here and at work blokes don’t seem to do it and are hell bent on not even attempting it .
    All I can say is there must be a lot of dirty dicks out there and poor wives with thrush etc .

19. Patch

Patch Winger

I can't remember how old I was when it dawned upon me but I used to wonder why my dad never took me to the Imperial War Museum when it was only a short bus ride away.

20. Mantobar

Mantobar Midfield

Siobhan is pronounced Siobhan not Sio bin.about 15 years or so.

b1gals, EchoMan, xmfd and 7 others like this.