What’s the finest mountain bike money can buy? (for £500)

Definitely not a Btwin from Decathlon, the geometry is poor on the mountain bikes. The Vitus range should be getting updated soon with the 2020 models. The voodoo bizango won mbr £650 bike of the year a couple of years running. You can get it for £580 if trading in an old bike.

Similar here, I have a Decathlon road bike and its excellent value.

Within reason, but often with the branded bikes you get significantly better chainsets/brakes/forks etc than you do with the cheaper bikes. A bike at the entry level in some of the brands can be good value and with decent gear.

Most of the cheap bikes are cheap for a reason.

Looks like a good bit of kit for the money,

Video at the end is a road bike though,

Our youngest lad wanted a BMX bike for his birthday a couple of months ago. We had saved up £50 to buy it, but everything that came up on eBay or gumtree for weeks was either too expensive or a 'restoration project'.

Eventually one came up on eBay which was nearby and really nice - auction starting at 99p. We went and had a look at it and it was ideal. I asked the bloke selling how much he was expecting it to go for and he said £150 to £200 so we were glum because that was way too much. His grandma had also put in £20 and with some change we had also, we offered him £75 for it, but he laughed dismissively. "Oh no! Ha ha ha, no. But you're welcome to bid on it of course.".

"Happy bidding!" He said as he wheeled it back into the shed.

The auction ended a few days later and we did a last minute snipe bid and won it for.....£53!

It was so sweet going to collect it and counting out the money for him. Then it was his turn to be glum.

Definitely not a Btwin from Decathlon, the geometry is poor on the mountain bikes. The Vitus range should be getting updated soon with the 2020 models. The voodoo bizango won mbr £650 bike of the year a couple of years running. You can get it for £580 if trading in an old bike.
Thanks, this might be a great shout - I’ve an ancient Mongoose that I could trade in. Wouldn’t have thought Voodoos would have had great ratings, wrongly assumed to avoid the likes of Halfords/Evans. Had a quick look and the Bizango gets cracking reviews 👍

Source ?

Says here they have near perfect geometry.

Last edited:
Thanks, this might be a great shout - I’ve an ancient Mongoose that I could trade in. Wouldn’t have thought Voodoos would have had great ratings, wrongly assumed to avoid the likes of Halfords/Evans. Had a quick look and the Bizango gets cracking reviews 👍

Some bikes from halfords are poor. I bought a Carrera last year and it rides crap. The Voodoo and Boardman with air suspension is easier to set to your bodyweight. I was looking for a decent bike earlier in the year and ended up with a Calibre Bossnut.

Source ?

Says here they have near perfect geometry.

MBR, the head angle is 2 degrees steeper on the B'twin. The decathlon website says the sub £500 bikes are not suitable for any off road biking.

Some bikes from halfords are poor. I bought a Carrera last year and it rides crap. The Voodoo and Boardman with air suspension is easier to set to your bodyweight. I was looking for a decent bike earlier in the year and ended up with a Calibre Bossnut.

MBR, the head angle is 2 degrees steeper on the B'twin. The decathlon website says the sub £500 bikes are not suitable for any off road biking.

Does it really ?

Not having a go like, just wondering as i said i have the road bike and find it excellent,

Imagine selling a mountain bike and then saying its no good off road :lol:

Crazy.

The best mountain bikes under £500
I wouldn’t buy second hand mind, as you never know what might be wrong with it. Worn drivetrain, cracked frame, leaky fork....
Does it really ?

Not having a go like, just wondering as i said i have the road bike and find it excellent,

Crazy.
Off road these days means smashing it round trail centres though, not riding across a field.

Last edited:
Does it really ?

Crazy.

Yeah, I was looking for a decent bike for about 4 months and checked reviews and the websites for mountain bikes before buying the Calibre Bossnut. The reason they put the disclaimer on the bikes is because they are beefed up hybrids and to prevent being sued in case of injuries if the parts break. Road bikes are normally spot on from most manufacturers. Only those who ride top end bikes or race would really notice any flaws in the cheaper models.

Yeah, I was looking for a decent bike for about 4 months and checked reviews and the websites for mountain bikes before buying the Calibre Bossnut. The reason they put the disclaimer on the bikes is because they are beefed up hybrids and to prevent being sued in case of injuries if the parts break. Road bikes are normally spot on from most manufacturers. Only those who ride top end bikes or race would really notice any flaws in the cheaper models.

Some cheap bikes are really shìte though and could put people off riding :)

Back