What’s the finest mountain bike money can buy? (for £500)

What would you recommend? I had my heart set on a Vitus Nucleus VR as they seem to win every review I can find. They’re out of stock everywhere though with no word as to when they’ll be available again.

Are there any that run the Nucleus close? I’d be tempted by the second hand market but I don’t have a particularly trained eye, bit nervous about being sold a pup.

Any advice, recommendations appreciated!

Last edited:

Only have an old mountain bike but btwin from decathlon may be worth looking at,

I bought a btwin road bike for winter/commute for £300 and prefer it to my giant which cost considerably more ;)

What would you recommend? I had my heart set on a Vitus Nucleus VR as they seem to win every review I can find. They’re out of stock everywhere though with no word as to when they’ll be available again.

Are there any that run the Nucleus close? I’d be tempted by the second hand market but I don’t have a particularly trained eye, bit nervous about being sold a pup.

looks alright. Personally though i prefer shimano mb 200`s to the tektros

Have you checked out the Boardman range at Halfords?

Out of interest would any recommend the best bike shop to go to to get advice, try and buy a bike? Looking at a hybrid or road bike for a c. 4 mile commute and a newby to Cycling (haven’t done it since a kid).

There’s obviously Halfords and Evans, but is Dark Cycles in the town any good?

Others I guess are Edinburgh bicycles or Start Cycles?

Out of interest would any recommend the best bike shop to go to to get advice, try and buy a bike? Looking at a hybrid or road bike for a c. 4 mile commute and a newby to Cycling (haven’t done it since a kid).

Strawberry Cycles in Peterlee or Infinity in Langley Moor.

Cycleworld in town are worth a visit.

Get a second hand one for that money, higher spec. You can have mine for £400. Giant Anthem. FS. One careful owner. I bought it off a mate. He was the careful owner.
Edit. Was on mine yesterday for an hour.

Last edited:
Only have an old mountain bike but btwin from decathlon may be worth looking at,

I bought a btwin road bike for winter/commute for £300 and prefer it to my giant which cost considerably more ;)

Similar here, I have a Decathlon road bike and its excellent value.
That's a good shout. Ignore the brand snobs, these are half decent

Within reason, but often with the branded bikes you get significantly better chainsets/brakes/forks etc than you do with the cheaper bikes. A bike at the entry level in some of the brands can be good value and with decent gear.

Most of the cheap bikes are cheap for a reason.

Last edited:
Within reason, but often with the branded bikes you get significantly better chainsets/brakes/forks etc than you do with the cheaper bikes. A bike at the entry level in some of the brands can be good value and with decent gear.

Most of the cheap bikes are cheap for a reason.

I've a custom handbuilt full carbon fibre MTB and I realise you get what you pay for but I think the Broadman range is a decent spec and value for money for what they are.

Thanks, I’m kind of dipping my toe in to mountain biking, that site confuses me with all the bespoke configurations - I’ll take a look though and see if anything takes my eye.
Does your work not run a cycle to work scheme?
I have a Voodoo Marasa Hybrid (lovely bike) Carrera Kraken (lots of mountainbike for the money) and a Carrera Subway 2 (similar to my Voodoo but cheaper)
All great bikes and well within your price spec

Last edited:

Back