What’s the best bank?

Coutts are expensive and rubbish imo
This. My old gaffer had an account there. Even if you have the coin to be considered as a client they have your eyes out for fees, and the back office functions / online banking etc are just NatWest (and shite) with the designer label on top. One of many financial services designed for the stupid and insecure segment of the high net worth market.

I use transferwise for forex transfers and they're great. You can also get a debit card with them and hold balances in each currency with them now, but it is not covered by FSCS, and there's a fee for holding euros due to negative interest rates.

I've always been with Barclays and they are nothing special but totally fine. I have heard nothing but good things about First Direct, Metro Bank and Handelsbanken from friends who are outside the big high street banks.

Oh aye I had a metro account for a safe deposit box. Customer service is epic and as a simple banking mechanism they are great. Would not have a current account there. Staff like pointy shoes and hair gel.

I've been with HSBC (and before it Midland) forever as my main salary and bills account but I have recently switched to Starling for day to day spending. The new app based accounts may not be able to fully replace a traditional bank account but they have a lot of features which the old boys don't have. It's very impressive how I get a notification on my phone everytime the Starling card is used - it's so quick that it can appear before I've put my wallet back in my pocket

I've recently moved my personal account from First Direct to Starling and very happy with the app and customer service.

We keep the joint account with Nationwide mainly because our lass has had the account for years and they've not done anything to warrant a shift elsewhere.

I’m planning on returning to the UK in the next 6 months. I won’t have a job but will have a significant amount to transfer from my US account.

Hints for the best bank.
I opened my first UK bank for 20 years about 6 years ago after partially returning from France.

My first one was TSB. They were appalling. 100% incompetent.

Next was Natwest. Appalling too. 80% incompetent. Block your account on a weekly basis without a word to you if you dare to travel overseas, even when you register as a frequent traveller. They also promised me a Euro account before I signed up with them and then refused it after I had joined them because it was only available for businesses. They are crap. NatWest also revealed my banking details, including my transaction details to their Scottish mother bank without my permission. Cheeky buggers. Surely that MUST be illegal.

Now Santander for Business and personal. I have found them to be really good.

Don't use any UK bank for currency transfers. They will remove your eyeballs and then move on to your teeth. I use Revolut because I travel a lot. That way I get no commission charges and VERY close to middle market value on exchange.

Use First Direct, Nationwide and Monzo. Personal, joint, beer money.

First Direct have been nothing short of fantastic. The best bit? You ring a number and a human answers. A human who understands you.

No complaints about Nationwide, but not had much to do with them. Monzo just feels like an online piggy bank (fully working).

Use First Direct, Nationwide and Monzo. Personal, joint, beer money.

First Direct have been nothing short of fantastic. The best bit? You ring a number and a human answers. A human who understands you.

No complaints about Nationwide, but not had much to do with them. Monzo just feels like an online piggy bank (fully working).

I’ve only used two banks. Was with Barclays since a kid and changed to First Direct a good few years back.
Managed my finances and those of my mam as her deputy all over the phone and online so easily. Their bereavement team sorted all her finances so easily.

The online system is probably on a par with other banks but it’s the person to person support that does it for me. Ring and you speak to a person normally in Scotland within a few rings. Set up a new account last week in minutes and also chased a non delivered payment this week. They put the money straight into my account and then chased the payment with the company.

Monzo for foreign spends 😁

I've recently moved my personal account from First Direct to Starling and very happy with the app and customer service.

We keep the joint account with Nationwide mainly because our lass has had the account for years and they've not done anything to warrant a shift elsewhere.
Was it easy to move?

Most people who complain about banks simply can't manage their money and like to blame the bank.
Been with natwest 35 years and not one issue and no bank charges .

In terms of getting hit with fees & that I agree. However some do have poor customer services & shite online systems etc.
I was with Natwest for 3 months (took their switching bribe, then took another one) & in that time they pissed me off 3 times
1 for not sending out a card reader as standard when signing up for online banking as you cant operate it without one. 2 their app not working on a fairly new phone. 3 lying to me that you could move small balances without the card reader (well you can, but only on the app which didn't work).

I had to make a debit card transfer to a building society account, then transfer it to my proper account to get my money out.

Last edited:

Back