What’s the best bank?

Barclays I've been with since I was 16 and never had an issue.. others will say otherwise mind

Starling bank I've found spot on for online

Moving decent wedges of cash across borders I last used Moneycorp and they were spot on.

Sent 150k to new Zealand and a similar amount to Australia.. they wait for best spot rate then go.. minimal fees too
Another vote for Barclays

I bank with Santander (main accounts)and Monzo as my booze account.

Lloyds for main and savings account (never had an issue, been with them since I was 16) and same for Monzo - I first got it a few years ago due to 0 transaction fees when I was in Oz for a month, these days I just use it for boozing, going out (well used to, and will again when everything's back open) and the odd bet here and there.

Last edited:
Santander for main and Starling as spending/drinking account.
Santander can be bit of a f*ck on with insurance payments. Amount of times I've previously had to ring up to get a transaction processed was ridiculous, however now the app can be used as a confirmation that's stopped my main problems.

Last edited:
Have a conversation with Julius Baer it might be better having your cash offshore.

I actually thought of using a Jersey bank
Don't use the banks for the FX transfer, they will rip you off massively.

I've had good experience and decent rates using Transferwise to move money about.

www.transferwise.com
Yes, I wouldn’t use the banks

Last edited:
Just avoid TSB if you want access to your money.

Starling Bank for everyday spent, and then we use a Nationwide added value account for our bills.

I’m planning on returning to the UK in the next 6 months. I won’t have a job but will have a significant amount to transfer from my US account.

Hints for the best bank.
Depends what you want to maximise for tbh, chief.

Not much going on with interest rates right now but some might do perks on things like 123 account and cash back etc.

Customer service varies greatly across banks, and I can dig out the latest independent service scores if you want. I think First Direct are up there often (we bank with them for our D2D as I don’t work for them, and they’re decent if you’re happy with all online.

Monzo get good reviews but their overall service is a limited range I believe. They are very easy to open an account to be fair but that just made me curious about their Fin Crime processes...

I changed to the nationwide after finally moving away from Halifax (I wouldn’t recommend Halifax to Steve Wraith it’s that bad). Pleased with the Nationwide so far though.
Have some investments with Coventry Building Society who are also very good.

Back