What’s the best bank?

In terms of getting hit with fees & that I agree. However some do have poor customer services & shite online systems etc.
I was with Natwest for 3 months (took their switching bribe, then took another one) & in that time they pissed me off 3 times
1 for not sending out a card reader as standard when signing up for online banking as you cant operate it without one. 2 their app not working on a fairly new phone. 3 lying to me that you could move small balances without the card reader (well you can, but only on the app which didn't work).
Well I'm happy after 35 years 🤑

I work for a bank, fixing the shit that doesn’t work. I’m pretty sure that’s not true.
I agree with you. My complaints against Barclays were reopening a closed account and paying direct debits from it. Then coming after us for all associated fees. Despite our other Barclays account already paying the direct debits properly

Most people who complain about banks simply can't manage their money and like to blame the bank.
Been with natwest 35 years and not one issue and no bank charges .
Most? Can't comment.
Me personally, I'm pretty money-savvy, and Halifax lied to me once, and fucked up when I gave them a 2nd chance
HSBC have been fine - in the sense that absolutely nothing of note to mention since 1998. EXCEPT when I tried to port my very-favourable rate mortgage to a new home (within the time period allowed), and they made me jump through 2hours of hoops filling out questionnaires in their office before "they were allowed" to proceed. No idea why my car, life, pet etc insurance was relevant, but that pissed me off as it was just wasted time - seemed like they were determined to make some profit out of the deal no matter how far fetched.
I kept the account though, as that was a one-off.
Unlike Halifax, who can fuck off.

Most? Can't comment.
Me personally, I'm pretty money-savvy, and Halifax lied to me once, and fucked up when I gave them a 2nd chance
HSBC have been fine - in the sense that absolutely nothing of note to mention since 1998. EXCEPT when I tried to port my very-favourable rate mortgage to a new home (within the time period allowed), and they made me jump through 2hours of hoops filling out questionnaires in their office before "they were allowed" to proceed. No idea why my car, life, pet etc insurance was relevant, but that pissed me off as it was just wasted time - seemed like they were determined to make some profit out of the deal no matter how far fetched.
I kept the account though, as that was a one-off.
Unlike Halifax, who can fuck off.
I worked for barclays for 13 years , most complaints were customers f***ing up.
However Barclays did fuck up on a few things, one situation they declared a customer dead by accident, caused all sorts of shit for the customer.

For day to day banking, First Direct always seems to win the votes that moneysavingexpect runs. Its an online/phone only offshoot of HSBC (but for some things, you can use their branches too).

I use Nationwide, and its been excellent to the point where I don't see any point in changing to FD.

I'd avoid Halifax, from personal bad experiences. Plural.

First Direct are an arm of HSBC and have fantastic customer service. Been with them a few year now. UK based, answer straight away and always helpful. Their app was terrible a few year ago but it’s brilliant now since it was redone. Can recommend.
First Direct are the worst bank I’ve ever had owt to do with. Apart from Northern Rock obviously.
Can I ask why? I’ve had nothing but good things from them.
Use First Direct, Nationwide and Monzo. Personal, joint, beer money.

First Direct have been nothing short of fantastic. The best bit? You ring a number and a human answers. A human who understands you.

No complaints about Nationwide, but not had much to do with them. Monzo just feels like an online piggy bank (fully working).
This

Last edited:
First Direct are an arm of HSBC and have fantastic customer service. Been with them a few year now. UK based, answer straight away and always helpful. Their app was terrible a few year ago but it’s brilliant now since it was redone. Can recommend.

Their app is still poor imo. And a right pain in the arse to set up.
A bit of a grievance with FD is that they must be the only bank who after a regular saver matures, they withhold your money for a week without interest.
Makes no sense at all.
Mind when I whinged to them about it, they did give me a fiver goodwill gesture.

Wonder why everyone hates TSB?
Probably because they have the worst online banking service possible, didnt it go down for ages, and went down a few times, and didnt pay peoples direct debits, or allow them access to their accounts, my lass (no) is with them and always has been, she setup a Monzo as a backup in case TSB went down again, and has an emergency slush fund in there, why she doesnt just sack TSB off i have no idea

Probably because they have the worst online banking service possible, didnt it go down for ages, and went down a few times, and didnt pay peoples direct debits, or allow them access to their accounts, my lass (no) is with them and always has been, she setup a Monzo as a backup in case TSB went down again, and has an emergency slush fund in there, why she doesnt just sack TSB off i have no idea

I think most people just dont like moving all their banking. Up until recently TSB did pay a favourable interest rate on their current accounts. As soon as they dropped it to 0% I sacked them off & switched it to Virgin, bagged myself a free crate of wine they had on offer.
But I only ever used TSB as a savings glorified savings account anyway.

Back