Wettest match you've ever been to

v tottenham in hong kong was wet
v mags 99
v Accrington
slovakia v england early 00s
honduras england in miami for 15 min then sun again

Good shout for the Slovakia match, I was at that game too. Can remember before the game it was torrential rain and we walked past a Tesco Metro store. I went in there, bought an umbrella. Within less than a minute a massive gust of wind blew the umbrella inside out and broke a load of the spokes. My mate roared with laughter, I saw the funny side of it too.

1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".

That Reading game was ridiculous..it pissed down all game and it was cold anarl.

1. Southampton away 1977/78 , rained the whole game and we were in the uncovered end. We lost 4-2 , at 3-2 Jackie Ashurst missed a penalty that would have made it 3-3. My jacket was still soaked 24 hours later.

2. Reading away FA Cup 1990/91 we scored after 40 seconds through Gordon Armstrong but still lost 2-1. Absolutely soaked that day.

3. Sheffield Wednesday away 1999/2000, we won 2-0 , SKP got both goals. We had the whole of the away end, but I was in the uncovered section in the corner. We started singing "we're wet and we know we are" to be outshouted by the lads under cover singing "we're dry, and we know we are".
No. 2 on your list for me.

Good shout for the Slovakia match, I was at that game too. Can remember before the game it was torrential rain and we walked past a Tesco Metro store. I went in there, bought an umbrella. Within less than a minute a massive gust of wind blew the umbrella inside out and broke a load of the spokes. My mate roared with laughter, I saw the funny side of it too.

we were staying in bratislava..before match had TT and that who were stayung in vienna in our room putting dry clothes on..
Any of you remember singing 'why does it always rain on me?' down at VP circa '98.
remember singing at sjp in the 2-1 shearergate game

Last edited:
Preston away on New Years Day. Sat right at the front so wasn’t covered by the roof.

Notts Co at home in 1975/6 season. It poured down all game. Kevin McNally was the referee - a little blonde haired Scouser. We beat them 4-0(?). Could easily have been abandoned.

Looked like a fun night

Went there for the weekend and met a guy our Bratislava office. He took us to a bar on the Friday night a couple of miles outside the city centre, great food, beer and ludicrously cheap.

Watched the game with him stood in the middle of the Slovakian ultras, we would've been battered if we weren't with him.

Had a birds eye view of the trouble. Slovakian fans throwing stuff at England fans, England fans threw it back then the police baton charged the England fans big time.

Mate of mine took his girlfriend out of it by climbing over the fence, picture of her all over the papers next day.

18/5/63 v Chelsea, last match of the season.Needed a draw for promotion. Roker End packed by 1.30 for 3pm kickoff. Heavens opened at about 2pm. Sun out about half hour later so steam was lifting off the crowd.
Being Sunderland we lost. Often wish I'd given up then!

Wigan away 88, day of Eddie the eagle
NYD?

Last edited:
Leicester at home 92(?) Joachim with a late winner, I took my then girlfriend to the match in the Roker end (think the game was on the telly anarl 😂)
Mags away 93

QPR at home, 1998, We were 2 nil up... Danny f***ing Dichio lost it on the half way line and we drew 2-2. that year we finished 3rd behind Boro and lost in the playoff's.
it pissed down that night.

Weirdly I’d have to say Hibs away in 2011. Didn’t rain during the match but it was like a monsoon between leaving the ground and getting back on the bus.

Number 2 on your list.

Also was at number 3 but dont remember it raining. Was that the season sheff wed went down?

Back