Wetherspoons

• Thread starter Deleted member 30853
  • Start date
I've been in and out of Durham a few times the last two weeks.

Is it just the Waterhpuse in Durham that suffers the cheap beer who no effect or do other Wetherspoons suffer it?

I saw someone so drunk at one of Sunderland's Wetherpoons so blind drunk they fell over every five yards. Consett's Company Row has an apparent daytime reputation too.

Down Durham, I witnessed one bloke face-slide along the glass front of the North Road Tesco Express and a different day, a security guard have to ban three drunks from Wetherspoons who were trying to buy /steal bottles of cheap plonk from Tescos.

Note each time I was passing and not a Wetherspoons customer (though I was having a pint -only one pint - at the Sunderland one).

These are during the day too. I'd heard the tales but didn't think it was that bad.

Anyone want to do a bet on how long their livers will last?

We stayed in Luton after the game last Sunday. On Monday morning we went to the Spoons for Breakfast and a few coffees before the drive back. A few of my mates were in there from about 9am and me and my daughters got there at about 9:45. at 10am one of my mates reckoned one bloke in the bar was on his third pint that he had personally saw him order. That's some going at 10am.

There were people in there knocking back large glasses of wine with no food as well.

In terms of how long their lives will last, pretty much everyone in there was over 60.

It varies from Wetherspoons to Wetherspoons.

In Durham, Waterhouse does seem to serve a consistent pint. The Bishops Mill can vary though again not too many complaints. The same applies to the Company Row in Consett though not everyone whose made comment agrees.

Newcastle is a mixed bag. The Swan and Five Signets up the Haymarket has improved. The Lloyds Bar I can't remember the name of on the Quayside has served me some pretty rank beer in the past and the Mile Castle is so so. The Lloyds Bar in the Gate seems okay.

The Wetherspoons in Gosforth, Hexham and Whitley Bay have not been too bad either.

Note I did not visit all these places in one day. :)
Pittlypot alert

Best one I’ve seen was an owld bloke in the Jameson who was so hammered that when finally got out of his seat to go to the bog, he staggered 3 yards, stopped then turned back round having pissed his beige slacks.
Classy.

You have to catch a Wetherspoons in the first couple of years of opening, before the hardened jakeys get established.

Harrogate Winter Gardens is very nicely done, as is the Counting House in Glasgow and the Caley Picture House in Edinburgh. These buildings would probably be derelict or coffee shops otherwise.

You know you can get a decent pint and solid if unspectacular food for less than a tenner. They've saved the pub trade really. Yes, some are like the Mos Eisley Cantina but that's what you get.

Caley Picture House in Edinburgh. These buildings would probably be derelict or coffee shops otherwise.

The Picture House was a really decent gig venue until they turned it into another f***ing 'spoons. Just what Edinburgh doesnt need in my opinion.

Last edited:
I've CAMRA vouchers for Spoon but I've not been in one in weeks. I've probably had my money's worth of CAMRA membership from other places by now.
The Spoons we have can't seem to look after their beer properly. Kinda defeats the point.

I've CAMRA vouchers for Spoon but I've not been in one in weeks. I've probably had my money's worth of CAMRA membership from other places by now.
The Spoons we have can't seem to look after their beer properly. Kinda defeats the point.

Most can't. I tend to drink Shipyard or Punk IPA in Spoons these days as the guest ales can be a gamble.

The Picture House was a really decent gig venue until they turned it into another f***ing 'spoons. Just what Edinburgh doesnt need in my opinion.
Been 7 year since I was on the piss there and the boozers were grim as fuck. £5 a pint of pisswater tennants etc, every bar stunk of piss.

What i’d have give for a nice clean spoons with a £3.29 San Miguel.

Back