Wetherspoons profits down by 19%

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Flared Hicks, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Some Random Guy

Some Random Guy Striker

So?

FannyByTheGaslight likes this.
  2. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

I'd say that's fair enough to be honest. If you buy wholesale you get discount. They would probably buy an insane amount compared to what they'd sell without them

3. nyron4england

nyron4england Striker

buying wholesale and selling a lot is great to a mass producer. not so much a smaller producer. you'd think someone who was so vocally supportive of British industry was willing to pay the going rate for a local brewer.

4. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

Don't get me wrong, I get that it's shit to the small company, and they deserve going rate for their product, but that's not how big business works

5. nyron4england

nyron4england Striker

agreed marra. generally something sold cheap to the consumer comes at the expense of someone else. cheap milk shafts the farmer. cheap booze shafts the brewer. hopefully once brexit is initiated we will see some corrections in food pricing and we can start to remove unnecessary subsidies that prop up industry on a fallacy.

6. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

I think we'll see the opposite. I think smaller companies will be more worried about how they'll get their product to a wider market and accept lower rate from big companies that approach them to secure their financial status

7. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

But the "kickback" against tim martin is not

8. ozz

ozz Central Defender

But sales are up !!! may be more are going because of his political stance.

9. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

I'm always skeptical to how much truth there is in these claims like

Do you have any proof of this?

10. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

I'd be surprised if this had any bearing at all in their sales levels

Aituk7 likes this.
  11. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

Aye spoons is always full of small brewery beers and real ales.

But surely that's just business. If you don't want to supply them then don't bother.

Lambchops likes this.
  12. This is the problem with binary thought processes. There are many factors at play, as was clearly stated in the OP and the question posed was whether Brexit kickback may be another contributory factor, not THE sole factor. We’ve already had anecdotal evidence to support this as a hypothesis.

Many people on here seem to struggle with equations with multiple inputs, and operate as a simple NOT gate. It’s a 1 or it’s a 0. The real world is a little more sophisticated than that.

13. Clearly this has happened since they stopped selling Jaeger and started selling Striker.

14. Boz33

Boz33 Winger

I assume anyone with a problem with spoon also doesn’t shop at any major supermarket, buy cheap clothes, or indeed anything that comes at a reasonable price because at somewhere along the supply chain someone isn’t getting a deal they are entirely happy with

Aituk7 likes this.
  15. ozz

ozz Central Defender

so would i- but someone posted that profits may be down because of his politics- even though his sales are up !!

16. riffraff

riffraff Striker

It's catching on though.

17. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

If it was due to his political leanings then sales would be down along with profits. Profits are down due to things already mentioned like staffing requirements, repairs etc.

18. ozz

ozz Central Defender

As Enterprise has introduced their Craft Union pubs selling dirt cheap booze it has probably restricted Spoons from putting prices up at the rate they would want to.

19. Aituk7

Aituk7 Winger

It's nothing to do with binary process although that doesn't happen a lot.

I didn't post this in reply to you because you said multiple things at play. I was just pointing out another posters point that they may have missed.

20. Summer Bee

Summer Bee Midfield

good. I think that politics was avoided for a long time due to the disagreements it can cause, but in this age of information we should be discussing what it means, and where our views align because we can't trust those at the top to act in our best interest if we aren't informed enough

riffraff likes this.