Wet 'n' Wild North Shields closed down again.

Kids aren’t bothered about shit like this anymore man, where we used get buses down to the town in groups with our towels and shorts in boot bags, meet up outside the bus station, splash about with pals for an hour and end up in Hotline/checkers , the yoof of today are more interested in social media, playing on games machines and trying to grow up too fast.

It’s no wonder this hasn’t survived.
Well said!

Shite news this. I take the kids once every couple of months. It’s always heaving, so the people saying nobody goes are talking rubbish. The problem is that they’ve spent nothing on maintenance for years. The paint’s been peeling off the ceiling since we started going about 10 years ago. It wouldn’t take a fortune to tart up, so I can only assume the few grand it makes every weekend is swallowed up elsewhere. The nearest similar thing is in Scarborough now.

Just googled it, the age is 13, so you may be right to an extent!

Sure we were much younger than that when heading into town as bairns.
When did Crowtree first open around '75? I must have been going with my mates not long after that so I would have definitely been at the most 10, surely that's what these things are built for kids wanting to do something fun and energetic? World has gone to cock (no Pip pun intended..)

Shite news this. I take the kids once every couple of months. It’s always heaving, so the people saying nobody goes are talking rubbish. The problem is that they’ve spent nothing on maintenance for years. The paint’s been peeling off the ceiling since we started going about 10 years ago. It wouldn’t take a fortune to tart up, so I can only assume the few grand it makes every weekend is swallowed up elsewhere. The nearest similar thing is in Scarborough now.

Yeah and that one is really really good new and clean, been several times and kids loved it.

Kids are not interested anymore in this sort of place unless they are young enough to go with their parents.

Once they hit the age of worrying what people think they would rather live their lives on social media and portray what people think they should be like rather than live there bloody lives the way they want

Big shame though cos my bairns love it here and nowhere around really that's like it

I have been a few times since it last reopened, was always a shit tip and filthy, so we started to refuse to go
But it was always busy so I can only think the thing that was eating up all the profit was rent on the building or business rates, because judging on the number of people you would see coming and going they must have been serving at least 2,000 customers a day

I have been a few times since it last reopened, was always a shit tip and filthy, so we started to refuse to go
But it was always busy so I can only think the thing that was eating up all the profit was rent on the building or business rates, because judging on the number of people you would see coming and going they must have been serving at least 2,000 customers a day

Suspect staffing costs would be high with something like that as you’d need attendants / lifeguards at the top and Bottom of most slides. Also utility costs of heating the pool and space must be significant.

Suspect staffing costs would be high with something like that as you’d need attendants / lifeguards at the top and Bottom of most slides. Also utility costs of heating the pool and space must be significant.

Lifeguards / Attendants will be on Minimum Wage (£8.63ph)

I would imagine getting the pool up to temp might be expensive but considering a person releases the same amount of heat as a 100Watt light bulb
So once it is up to temp and there is people in the pool the heating costs would be minimal.

I think the problem is it was only open certain days and for so many hours.

So it may have been busy when open but 80% of the time it was closed as normal running costs were high.

Lifeguards / Attendants will be on Minimum Wage (£8.63ph)

I would imagine getting the pool up to temp might be expensive but considering a person releases the same amount of heat as a 100Watt light bulb
So once it is up to temp and there is people in the pool the heating costs would be minimal.

swimming pools are nortoriously expensive to heat and considering the age of the pool I l’d imagine it’s probably not the most efficient heating system, unless it’s been replaced. There is also the need to heat the building as well. Hence why councils are looking to close pools across the country or rationalise them.

In terms of labour a standard pool usually has two
maybe three attendants supervising a pool whereas a wet and wild must have two per slide, plus further staff for pool areas, as well as cleaners etc...Labour costs are often the most expensive costs.

Kids aren’t bothered about shit like this anymore man, where we used get buses down to the town in groups with our towels and shorts in boot bags, meet up outside the bus station, splash about with pals for an hour and end up in Hotline/checkers , the yoof of today are more interested in social media, playing on games machines and trying to grow up too fast.

It’s no wonder this hasn’t survived.

Tragic but true, they’d rather get instagram depression than have a laugh.

Used to do the tills in there years ago. It's always appeared to be very busy, even during the week they get or used to get day trippers from schools and I seen my mate who was a teacher in a prison taking his students there. So income I don't think is a problem so I suspect it just costs an absolute fortune to run and maintain. It's never been refurbished properly since it opened in 1994ish. It needs huge investment unfortunately

Back