WestJet Airlines

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Provider, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Provider

Provider Winger

Anyone flown with these before? Any good?

2. Standard budget airline

3. becs

becs Striker

Never used them but I love them for this video

MackemBob and Dubai Si like this.
  4. rebski

rebski Full Back

I've used them for a mid-haul 5 hour flight and they're ok as long as you know it's a budget flight. Their route into London has had a lot of publicity recently for being beset by delays and cancellations though.

5. Used them Vancouver to Toronto and they were fine.

Titus likes this.
  6. Provider

Provider Winger

Cheers all. Looking at going to Canada later in the year and WestJet are the cheapest (not by much) on some dates. I'd never heard of them. They aren't much cheaper than some of the bigger airlines so will probably give them a miss.

7. They are great for flights within Canada but their new long haul flights seem to be struggling. Like a lot of airlines with just a few flights overseas, it only takes one plane going tech on the wrong side of the ocean and suddenly you're looking at massive delays.

8. Wow!

Brilliant that.

Mind I bet the bloke who asked for socks & underwear wishes he'd asked for the big TV :lol:

becs likes this.
  9. Soap MacTavish

Soap MacTavish Full Back

Used them a few times within Canada and they were great.
    Heard mixed reviews about their long haul flights with older aircraft / reliability etc.
    Have you looked at Icelandair? They were not bad for the UK to Canada route with connecting flights at Rekjavic

10. jcrossan

jcrossan Striker

Better than Air Canada on domestic flights...just getting into the trans Atlantic game though

11. bryc1

bryc1 Striker

Sister in law works for them out of Calgary..

12. Jasper

Jasper Striker

Be gutted if you went hand luggage only.

13. Beau Peep

Beau Peep Midfield

It's a budget airline branching out to transatlantic. They fly it with 737s and have to stop in Newfoundland to refuel. It's not a direct flight and 737s are horrendously uncomfortable for more than a couple of hours. If you're going to stop off you may as well go with a proper airline but change in AMS/CDG or something onto a bigger bird.

Edit... correction Gatwick to Toronto is a 767, Glasgow to Newfoundland is 737

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. Provider

Provider Winger

Thanks mate. The itinerary I looked at said non-stop but guess they wouldn't disclose the refuelling stop. Think we'll be giving them a miss. They aren't that much cheaper than some of the big boys so will just go with one of them.

Cheers all.

15. Have you tried Air Transat out of Glasgow or Manchester? They're usually the cheapest and I've always found them okay.

16. Sleepy

Sleepy Striker

If they aren't much cheaper stick to what you know. Not worth the risk of it ruining a holiday mate.

17. Northern

Northern Midfield

You checked BA? Managed to Get NCL > LHR > YYZ return for only £340 .. couldn't believe how cheap it was. That was flying 31st August like

Edit: Forgot to say Also looking to go over myself next year and Air Lingus seems to be cheapest out of majority of carriers.

18. When we were working out of Halifax (Nova Scotia) - the Jocks used to fly direct from Glasgow to Halifax with West Jet.
    They were full of praise for them.
    Good flight times too. They used to take off from Glasgow in the mornings, and the flight was about 6 hours.
    Return flight was a late one, about 10:30 at night, but got you home early doors the next morning.

19. Provider

Provider Winger

Yeah, they're one of the alternatives who are bit more expensive than WestJet so we may end up using them. How do they compare to something like BA?

Yeah agreed mate. Just wanted to get some opinions on them as I'd never heard of them.

20. Sleepy

Sleepy Striker

Probably be fine mate but if you can avoid, do!