Western Australia hunkering down for a once in a decade storm

Did you not used to sit on your hunkers like?
No - not hunkers marra - on my haunches though.
Hunkers is another Septic phrase - "Hunker down" was originally an American phrase and means to dig in or settle in to ride out troubled times - that's came into our English language over the years.
Just hate Americanisms me like.

Yackers spent most of their working lives down on their hunkers in their hoggers!
Dare say they did - my granda was a pitman - and I never heard him come out with "hunkers".
Definitely. The lad’s probably one of them posh townies that actually had chairs and settees and stuff. I bet he even calls it a sofa or couch, you know the type ;)
:lol: - aye - I've even got glass in my windaaz. Posh me like.

Last edited:
7pm here now,had a bit strong wind and a bit of rain,nothing really bad.Need the rain badly.Pumps the oranges in the back garden full of juice .

Rain forecast for all of next week,gerrin.

Lightning started a bush fire about a week ago( 2 weeks?).Should put that out,long way from Perth and no danger to houses/lives .City has been stinking of smoke once in a while.

Farmers are really happy if the rain reaches 200 klms inland to the grain growing areas,they need it badly.

Im in Perth. Bit of wind and rain nowt out the ordinary yet.
Aye the bairn said much the same.

Just looking at the satellite images of the storm, it’s covering more or less the whole of the SW coast from Exmouth way down to Albany. It took us a couple of days to drive that when we did our road trip so that’s one hell of a big weather system.

Back