West Park - East Herrington

Herrington pit heaps were a local landmark. We knew when we were nearly home when we could spot the heaps from the A690.
I hated the Herrington pit heap.
I had an auntie who lived in Lanton street when I was a little kid. They only used the back door to access the house the front door and front room were never used. It seemed to be a theme for the people who lived in those houses. Stepping out of the front door you were greeted with the sight of a f***ing great pit heap, with smoke coming off it. It scared the shit out of me because I knew what had happened at Aberfan. I had terrible visions of the thing suddenly heading towards the house and goodbye me. Thankfully it never happened.:)

I hated the Herrington pit heap.
I had an auntie who lived in Lanton street when I was a little kid. They only used the back door to access the house the front door and front room were never used. It seemed to be a theme for the people who lived in those houses. Stepping out of the front door you were greeted with the sight of a f***ing great pit heap, with smoke coming off it. It scared the shit out of me because I knew what had happened at Aberfan. I had terrible visions of the thing suddenly heading towards the house and goodbye me. Thankfully it never happened.:)
There was a small stream that went around one side of the heap and I’m sure that I caught a deformed stickleback from there.

There was a small stream that went around one side of the heap and I’m sure that I caught a deformed stickleback from there.
That reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons with the Springfield pond being used as a dumping ground for Mr Burns and Smithers to dump the nuclear waste. They caught a three eyed fish from the pond and called it Blinky. Probably a relative of your stickleback.:)

That reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons with the Springfield pond being used as a dumping ground for Mr Burns and Smithers to dump the nuclear waste. They caught a three eyed fish from the pond and called it Blinky. Probably a relative of your stickleback.:)
Thank you for clarifying that, I remembered the Simpsons as I was typing!

Back