West Park - East Herrington

Write to your MP mate. That's what I've done. There's some sort of session next Monday at St. Chad's 2-4. I think it will be heated.
Same problem at seaburn but we get called nimbys
Green belts usage should be last resort not first resort
What's happening with penny well. Streets and lights are still there plus hundreds of horses like a Mel brooks film
Would sheepfolds not be better used for housing plus all the spare land at Hendon

Middle Herrington to be exact.
The Top Park is canny, and is used a lot. I don't see how Sunderland Council can get away with doing away with parks to build houses.
We got a leaflet through the door, and @Patch is correct - there is supposed to be a meeting next week in St Chads church hall.
Might go along.
The bottom of West Park, is used by a farmer who keeps cows there.

It infuriates me when they are planning to build on parks and playing fields when they could build on places where buildings used to be like the land around Dewhirst and Pennywell where they flattened the factory and houses and have done nothing with it since. Would make more sense using that type of land for housing than taking away green recreation spaces.

What's happening with penny well. Streets and lights are still there plus hundreds of horses like a Mel brooks film
Would sheepfolds not be better used for housing plus all the spare land at Hendon

One of the problems sunderland has is there isnt enough luxury housing for people with money. You cant build them in hendon or pennywell as they simply wont buy them. But that isnt to say hendon and pennywell shouldnt be developed, but they should be for the social housing.

The Top Park is canny, and is used a lot. I don't see how Sunderland Council can get away with doing away with parks to build houses.
We got a leaflet through the door, and @Patch is correct - there is supposed to be a meeting next week in St Chads church hall.
Might go along.

So is it the actual park or the farm land thats earmarked for this? As it could be the latter and everying is getting their knickers in a twist.

Last edited:
One of the problems sunderland has is there isnt enough luxury housing for people with money. You cant build them in hendon or pennywell as they simply wont buy them. But that isnt to say hendon and pennywell shouldnt be developed, but they should be for the social housing.
Luxury housing
They'll be the usual crap three story boxes masqueradeing as execu-luxury costing an over inflated arm and a leg

Might go along.
I can't say West park is used a lot mind,well it wasn't,not so sure now.Havnt they taken the footy pitch away? Class conkers in the cow field mind.

You are a NIMBY. The Seaburn site is an eyesore

Luxury housing
They'll be the usual crap three story boxes masqueradeing as execu-luxury costing an over inflated arm and a leg

Probably, but itll attact high end council tax for the council and be occupied by folk who have more money to spend supporting the local economy

So is it the actual park or the farm land thats earmarked for this? As it could be the latter and everying is getting their knickers in a twist.
Won't fit 70 luxury houses in the cow field I reckon.oddly enough Herrington gate is upfor sale,unsure whether it's the main house or the gatehouse.

Had emails today from Sunderland council about potential land ,some canny areas on that list .

WDSC

Both marra.
The whole area has an old wall all the way around it. The Top Park is about 1/3 of the area in question, and the remaining 2/3 is the bottom field where the cows are.
The council want the whole lot.

Back