West coast of Scotland.

My brother in law has just moved from Portree back to Fife
They had one of those big townhouses on Bosville Terrace overlooking the harbour
Can't see the appeal of St Monan's after living on Skye to be honest

My mums family is from Anstruther and Pittenweem and to be honest I'd much rather live there than Skye. Horses for courses I suppose.

My mums family is from Anstruther and Pittenweem and to be honest I'd much rather live there than Skye. Horses for courses I suppose.
He's moved to a house a few doors away from the big caravan site at St Monan's
Much as I love the East Neuk, his house in Portree was in a fantastic location with a view overlooking Portree harbour to die for

As you say, Horses for courses

Always enjoyed the Stein Inn but it changes chef every year, but its location is tremendous (see I'm not always doom and gloom :lol: )
We had an excellent meal there, fantastic fresh food.
The 3 chimneys was also fantastic.

The end of the peninsula past waternish is imo the best spot on the island, a 30 min walk from the end of the road so theres no coach groups and its utterly beautiful. The best beach with a load of tiny islands you can wade to ankle deep. Ive never seen another place like it.

I found a walk from Redpoint, south of Gairloch. Head to one beach then follow the coast round until you reach another beach. There is an old fishing hut, I went past there and continued down the coast until I thought it was far enough and I’d better turn back. Fantastic scenery, loads of rocky coves, sea birds, etc, and I never saw another person, except on the beaches where there was a very small number of people.

Steep rocky drops into the sea for most of it though. I was hoping to find a good place to spot otters. If anyone knows a good place near there, please let me know.

I found a walk from Redpoint, south of Gairloch. Head to one beach then follow the coast round until you reach another beach. There is an old fishing hut, I went past there and continued down the coast until I thought it was far enough and I’d better turn back. Fantastic scenery, loads of rocky coves, sea birds, etc, and I never saw another person, except on the beaches where there was a very small number of people.

Steep rocky drops into the sea for most of it though. I was hoping to find a good place to spot otters. If anyone knows a good place near there, please let me know.
Under the bridge at poolewe or walk up the road from poolewe to Inverasdale past the pub.

Badachro is also a very good otter spot, youll have passed it in the way to red point. If your hungry the pizza van at the badachro inn is great, order in advance though.

Dawn and dusk are best for otters.

Last edited:
Under the bridge at poolewe or walk up the road from poolewe to Inverasdale past the pub.

Badachro is also a very good otter spot, youll have passed it in the way to red point. If your hungry the pizza van at the badachro inn is great, order in advance though.

Wonder if the Badachro Inn still sell pints of prawns ?

Cheers. I was considering trying Shieldaig for 6am tomorrow, but it is set to be chucking it down.

There is a sea eagle which nests on the little island opposite the pub in shieldaig
Cheers. I went and sat in the rain first thing for an hour and a half. Saw loads of herons but little else. I’m freezing now!

Might consider tea there tomorrow night. If I’m going to sit out, doing it with beer and chips appeals.

I thought a replacement ferry was being sent to do the job till the other is repaired.
it was, but hasnt got the capacity of the injured ferry , hence people aren't getting over- think restricting caravans and campervans too. Fisnish-Lochaline route is way to go as its operating a shuttle service but guess lot of people won't know that ( and already booked from oban )

Did the North Coast 500 last September. Sublime and the weather was good as well.

We hired a small motor home but had to put more miles on the rental, they were clever like that. That’s probably the same with car rentals too, I imagine.

Back