West coast of Scotland.

Someone I know goes here quite regularly. Looks amazing .

Mull is having resurfacing work done on west coast at moment ( round clagary bay area ) so could be lot of congestion on open routes.

Most of my family lives on Skye and if you want the advice of a regular visitor its this:
  • book every hotel or campsite months in advance
  • avoid June-August as the midges with bite your face off. Most repellents are rubbish.
  • if you're driving prepare for road surfaces from the 1850's
  • if you're venturing across to the outer hebrides book your crossings in advance and don't rely on the ferry not breaking down
  • for the remoter places don't rely on anything being open on a Sunday
  • on Skye particularly every tourist destination will be packed in Summer and car parks full to overflowing. You may even get turned away from places like the Fairy Pools.
  • The food in a pub or restaurant will be twice the price you pay in the NE and will be twice as bad.
  • There's plenty of places where you can escape the hoi poloi but you'll have to walk to get to them.
  • The further north you get from Fort William the quieter it will be.
Have you ever considered working for the Scottish Tourist Board?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you been to the bakers just off the square in Portree, the do-nuts are incredible. :D

The Granary? Last time I was in had a piece of lemon meringue pie which was tremendous, but last time we were back the sit in part was shut. I think the lad who owns it is called Barry iirc and he is/was a very good chef and tried his hand a baking.

Can’t remember the name of the hotel/restaurant we went into right on the harbour, but I had the best bowl of mussels that I’ve ever had in my life, every time I’ve had them since I compare them with that days delicious offering, nothing has beaten them yet.

The Lower Deck probably

Best food sit-innery was the Cuillin Hills for a posh meal or Arriba for a quick bite. With lockdowns and what not I haven't been out much on my visits up the last couple of years so I'm not sure whats good at the moment. Always enjoyed the Stein Inn but it changes chef every year, but its location is tremendous (see I'm not always doom and gloom :lol: )

Last edited:
Never been. My missus has suggested we should do a coach trip. Seing as we are in our sixties and our grand kids are away soon I woukd like to look into it.
Can anyone suggest a coach company who will pick up in Teesside or Durham fir such one trip ?
It's the bollocks up to mallaig on the Harry Potter train from fort William then over to skye on ferry skulk around Tallisker distillery back to mallaig for the whitest beaches anywhere weather depending of course oh and amazing seafood 👍👍

Where did you stay in Colonsay? in the cottages?

Ps. Loved the TESCOll shop in Arinagour. :lol:
in Colonsay stayed both times at the cabins ( think 3 next to each other ) next to the hotel-

Don't think was a tesco when we were there , about 20 years ago , fust time seen petrol over a pund. pump didnt have facility for 3 digits and 3rd digit written on in paper. :D

in Colonsay stayed both times at the cabins ( think 3 next to each other ) next to the hotel-

Don't think was a tesco when we were there , about 20 years ago , fust time seen petrol over a pund. pump didnt have facility for 3 digits and 3rd digit written on in paper. :D

Never knew they were there.

The shop is called Tescoll. :)

Back