Were Madness the best singles band ever?

The compilation album Erasure fetched out early 90s 'Pop The first 20 hits' is up there with any greatest hits compilation album ever imo

As mentioned earlier in thread Duran Duran had a similar compilation out early 90s too

Just go and look up and down the road you live in and, statiscally, every 3rd house has a copy of Queen Greatest Hits.. I think that answers the original question.

Just go and look up and down the road you live in and, statiscally, every 3rd house has a copy of Queen Greatest Hits.. I think that answers the original question.
Well if we go on that then The Eagles have the best selling album of all time with The Best of...

Well if we go on that then The Eagles have the best selling album of all time with The Best of...

Well the original question was are madness the best singles band ever.. The stats say in the UK it's Queen, Fact not opinion.

Now opinion is completely different of course.

24 million dwellings in the uk and Queen Greatest Hits sold 6 million, so one in 4. Mad that like. If I ever need borrow a copy I'll knock at 3 of my neighbours to get it because I wouldn't have that shite in my house

Well the original question was are madness the best singles band ever.. The stats say in the UK it's Queen, Fact not opinion.

Now opinion is completely different of course.
But Facts state Eagles >>> Queen worldwide so it's them if we just go on greatest hits sales.

I'm not reading the entire thread to see if anybody has poked the beast and attracted the wums out of the woodwork that insist that The Beatles were overrated and just an very ordinary little pop group.

Edit: They invented the concept of 'albums band' vs 'singles band'. Because the distinction didn't exist beforehand. Would Sinatra have been referred to as a 'singles artist' or an 'album artist'? or Elvis?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Kinks have a great back catalogue of singles:

All Day and All of The Night
You Really Got Me
Sunny Afternoon
Waterloo Sunset
Days
Dedicated Follower of Fashion
Till The End of the Day
Everybody's Gonna Be Happy
Wonderboy
Plastic Man