Wembley Apathy

Can't wait, seen the lads there a few times, doesn't get boring as it's such a special place.

1985 League Cup Final
LOST v Norwich City

1988 Mercantile Credit Festival
LOST v Wigan Athletic

1990 Division Two Play-Off Final
LOST v Swindon Town

1992 FA Cup Final
LOST v Liverpool

1998 First Division Play-Off Final
LOST v Charlton Athletic

2014 League Cup Final
LOST v Manchester City

2019 Checkatrade Trophy Final
LOST v Portsmouth

2019 Division One Play-Off Final
??????? v Charlton Athletic

Wigan? I missed that. Was it a freindly?

Regardless of supporter numbers, phases and timing of block releases.... I' am staggered at the number of absolute shite excuses I'm hearing from "MLFs" for not attending the final on Sunday.

Literally can't believe the excuses. Promised the wife I'd paint the fence. Next door neighbours cousins daughters kids christening, family holiday in a caravn park in North Yorkshire, wormng the dog...

Yes we were there 8 weeks ago but really?

It was 16 years in between 1998 Play-off Final and 2014 Man City Final!!!! We have no reasonable grounds to expect we'll be there again in the next 5 years.

Absolutely pathetic. We are not as big a club as we make ourselves believe we are.

Flights are expensive, Monday isn't a Bank Holiday so lose work time and I'm playing golf Sunday morning. I spent 400quid for the final last time, this time I'll spend 12 and be mortal watching on TV in the pub

We really aren’t as big a club as we think we are, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s probably a good thing we’re reminded of that every now and then.

We’ll probably still sell-out mind, but there’s no getting over the attendance for the semi-final was underwhelming.

If we hadn’t just been to Wembley, we would have sold out by now. There were a lot of fans at that match who wanted to experience it, and to enjoy the weekend, and the prices helped everyone to do it. Unfortunately we seem to have shot our bolt for the wrong match. The only positive is that more of us who go on Sunday will be there for the match and not the weekend, so our support might be very good anyway, but it’s still not a great situation.

Are there other dynamics going on? Some areas of the country are expanding, with younger populations, e.g. Leicester, and some are contracting with ageing populations. We come under the latter. We also need to hope it doesn’t deter potential investors. It shows how important it is to keep our regional and all our sources of support strong and not take anything for granted.

There is also the harsh economics of it - “what, another trip to Wembley?”.

All that said, I’m with the OP, just get there and back on the day, it might not happen for another twenty years.
Sounds like it's a good job we didn't get to the FA Cup final as every team who does plays there twice in a few weeks, and God help us if we ever qualify for Europe again ! FTM

My sock drawer is in need of a tidy, and I booked it in my iPhone calendar for 1.30pm on 26 May 2019 back in February when we had Blackpool, Accrington & Gillingham at home in a week and looked odds-on to piss this league. As I'm a technophobe and unable to delete it from my phone, I must undertake that task at the pre-planned date and time.

Is that ok love?

We really aren’t as big a club as we think we are, and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s probably a good thing we’re reminded of that every now and then.

We’ll probably still sell-out mind, but there’s no getting over the attendance for the semi-final was underwhelming.
We are. Playoff final or not this is a third tier game 230 miles away live on the telly 2 months after people shelled out for a Wembley trip and after the team’s automatic promotion campaign finished on a downer. Selling that out, or anywhere near, is huge.

Charlton ended with a late surge and even their most half-arsed fan can roll out of bed 10 o’clock that morming and have a wander over. A lot of them won’t even have to pay for travel.
And there’s no getting over the attendance on Boxing Day was nothing short of amazing.

Another 6eething fuck nugget.

Couldn't give a fuck if we only sold one and it was me to be honest. Weird how wound up people get about it
I went to an ice hockey match in Moscow where the away team, from Ukraine, only had 4 supporters. The lads I was with reckoned they would be students living in Moscow but originally from Ukraine. It was quite surreal but they had little flurries of chanting which was quite amusing.

Can't wait, seen the lads there a few times, doesn't get boring as it's such a special place.

1985 League Cup Final
LOST v Norwich City

1988 Mercantile Credit Festival
LOST v Wigan Athletic

1990 Division Two Play-Off Final
LOST v Swindon Town

1992 FA Cup Final
LOST v Liverpool

1998 First Division Play-Off Final
LOST v Charlton Athletic

2014 League Cup Final
LOST v Manchester City

2019 Checkatrade Trophy Final
LOST v Portsmouth

2019 Division One Play-Off Final
??????? v Charlton Athletic

Aye, I was at all of those. 8th time lucky on Sunday :)

I can't get a direct flight to Heathrow from here so the cheapest is about £350 with a stop. I will lose gigs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the cost of around £550, cos the £350 flight is Saturday morning at 12.40am. That'll also mean two nights stay in a London hotel and taxis to and from airport to hotels and Wembley. Add ticket prices, drinks, meals etc to that and we're probably looking at the thin edge of £1500 for a day out... less than a month before I get married. But aye, I'm making excuses, @Agent Zigzag :oops::oops:

I can't get a direct flight to Heathrow from here so the cheapest is about £350 with a stop. I will lose gigs on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the cost of around £550, cos the £350 flight is Saturday morning at 12.40am. That'll also mean two nights stay in a London hotel and taxis to and from airport to hotels and Wembley. Add ticket prices, drinks, meals etc to that and we're probably looking at the thin edge of £1500 for a day out... less than a month before I get married. But aye, I'm making excuses, @Agent Zigzag :oops::oops:
I thought you were in Benidorm. Flights are costing between 30 and 50 euros and there's a boat load of times and airports to choose from. If I've mistaken you for Someone else ignore this.

Last edited:
I can’t remember anything from the Saturday night after about 6pm anyway. Then I had to watch us get beat by a team of shithouses in a tin pot cup while I was hungover. Wasn’t that good.

Still managed to lose my voice singing my heart of for the lads though.

All,people have to is they can't afford it which is more understandable than the excuses they churn out

Back