Wembley Apathy

Can't wait, seen the lads there a few times, doesn't get boring as it's such a special place.

1985 League Cup Final
LOST v Norwich City

1988 Mercantile Credit Festival
LOST v Wigan Athletic

1990 Division Two Play-Off Final
LOST v Swindon Town

1992 FA Cup Final
LOST v Liverpool

1998 First Division Play-Off Final
LOST v Charlton Athletic

2014 League Cup Final
LOST v Manchester City

2019 Checkatrade Trophy Final
LOST v Portsmouth

2019 Division One Play-Off Final
??????? v Charlton Athletic

Seeing that list in print actually is painful.
Anyone want a Wembley ticket ? Face value !!

I still think it'll sell out eventually. I don't know anyone who paid for one of these memberships, which is a new lark anyway, so today is the first time it's been open to exiles without STs. Then opening it to more than one per number will help.

Some of the apathy might be due to survival mode kicking in the moment we score followed by panic mode later
Like I say , you can’t buy memories like that. Even if we are unsuccessful, your kids will remember the trip for the rest of their lives .
The games which I didn’t manage to get to ie Norwich and Liverpool , I can hardly remember a single thing about them but those where I did attend , those memories are vivid and priceless.
Buying memories is exactly what you're trying to do. Some folk can't afford to pay for them.

Charlton average attendance is 12k
Our average attendance is 32k

Despite this Charlton will take more which is shit but it's down to their location, price and the fact we've just been there.
of course distance is relevant..but if safc is going to hit its potential it will mean playing teams far away..

I had the best time from waking up on the Checkatrade morning until getting back to my seat for the second half. In the Wembo Tavern from 11am with my dad and it was brilliant, by far the best bit of the whole day. I could never get bored of that. Regardless of how shite the match/ result can be, the whole ‘Final Day’ experience is fantastic and even now just 2 months later im excited to do it all over again.

I couldn’t follow this club through shit for decades then not go to the Wembley trip where we actually do it and win. And even if we lose, great memories will be made.

how can a 'supporter' not fancy the biggest game of the season ?
That's not the question though ,its the bit you made up about why people aren't going and they'll say this if we lose etc . The reasons have been mentioned endlessly on here .Mine are different to the other people I know not going I haven't a problem if someone doesn't go because they just don't fancy it .As someone said the majority seem to be focused on the piss up rather than the 90 minutes .If you are looking it the "supporter" question start at the Sol every home game

That's not the question though ,its the bit you made up about why people aren't going and they'll say this if we lose etc . The reasons have been mentioned endlessly on here .Mine are different to the other people I know not going I haven't a problem if someone doesn't go because they just don't fancy it .As someone said the majority seem to be focused on the piss up rather than the 90 minutes .If you are looking it the "supporter" question start at the Sol every home game
what does that mean. How can a supporter not fancy a play off final ? I couldn't give a toss about a piss up the whole charade around that annoys me ! It's only the match which is important ! And you don't think anything negative will be said if we lose ???

Regardless of supporter numbers, phases and timing of block releases.... I' am staggered at the number of absolute shite excuses I'm hearing from "MLFs" for not attending the final on Sunday.

Literally can't believe the excuses. Promised the wife I'd paint the fence. Next door neighbours cousins daughters kids christening, family holiday in a caravn park in North Yorkshire, wormng the dog...

Yes we were there 8 weeks ago but really?

It was 16 years in between 1998 Play-off Final and 2014 Man City Final!!!! We have no reasonable grounds to expect we'll be there again in the next 5 years.

Absolutely pathetic. We are not as big a club as we make ourselves believe we are.

Spot the wet wipe with his Mag mates picking on him about crowd sizes :lol:

Spot the wet wipe with his Mag mates picking on him about crowd sizes :lol:
the probkem is safc fans have walked around league one this year with theit balls out giving it lare about gates and calling teams elsewhere small time-you do that then dont sell out your going to get stick..

If you can’t go , you can’t go , there’s no getting round that. However if someone is wavering because it’s a long way, we’ve lost there before or the other shite excuses I’ve heard , then my post was aimed at them.

Affordability is the key thing here for lots of people, it’s not an affluent area and sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

For me personally I’m going on holiday the week after and I’m moving house so I’m stretched financially and ultimately Sunderland away games are a luxury rather than a necessity.

the probkem is safc fans have walked around league one this year with theit balls out giving it lare about gates and calling teams elsewhere small time-you do that then dont sell out your going to get stick..
Who has done that like ? A few wallopers on here? Don’t get those titheeds confused with our actual support. That’s the worst thing about social media. A few knob jockeys run off at the mouth then all of a sudden we’re all like that. I don’t know who is worse, the ones that start it or the ones that perpetuate the myth.

what does that mean. How can a supporter not fancy a play off final ? I couldn't give a toss about a piss up the whole charade around that annoys me ! It's only the match which is important ! And you don't think anything negative will be said if we lose ???
I'll say again,i didn't reply you on this ,it was your logic that non attenders turn into smarmy told you so's or bandwagon jumpers after the match

The negative bunch are at the sol every week and will be in Wembley in large numbers two ,there were "supporters" talking under the stands with a pint when the final was on !. As for not fancying it ,if the match was 20 minutes walk away we wouldn't be having attendance discussions .Its a major clart on for some people to get down and at some expense ,not long after getting kicked in the nuts at Wembley (again). If we knew this date for Wembley when the CAT final was on a good chunk would have skipped it ready for this one .

A lot of people here are very passionate about SAFC. But when you get older and life takes its natural course you realise that there are far more important things, especially if this is pre planned and paid for. Life for many people is pretty manic and managing to do everything isn’t possible.

I usually get to about 6 or 7 games a year these days. Mostly away due to living in Kent. Between 16 and starting to earn my own money and late twenties when marriage and kids cane along I hardly missed a game, home and away. I went to my first game 43 years ago and I love going to this day, no matter the result (a win is a lot better of course). I consider that SAFC is part of me, my family and I look at other SAFC fans as part of that. If some fucker wants to tell me I’m not a supporter and proud to follow Sunderland just because of how many games I currently go to they can fuck off. This is a massive club and anyone who thinks otherwise is a raging splitarse.
This.

As you get older a lot of things have to take a back seat. I'd love to drop everything and fly over on Sunday but I can't. It'll cost me €200 just to travel over before I spend a penny in London. It seems that if your world doesn't revolve around SAFC you aren't a fan! People have lives.

Who has done that like ? A few wallopers on here? Don’t get those titheeds confused with our actual support. That’s the worst thing about social media. A few knob jockeys run off at the mouth then all of a sudden we’re all like that. I don’t know who is worse, the ones that start it or the ones that perpetuate the myth.
Exactly. All this tinpot shite. Calling fellow League One clubs tinpot is pathetic because we are in the same league.:lol:

Last edited:
I'll paint my fence next year (as long as we ain't in the play off final for the prem or championship :neutral: ). The cat will left a big plate of food and my hair is all but gone anyway. Wembley here I comb .... i mean come.

Club royally fucked up the ticket purchase criteria. If they had made it easier it would be sold out now and wouldn’t have put people off through waiting.

Back