Well Done Stewart Donald

I don't disagree with your first point, but on FFP (SCMP in L1), the only restriction is a max 60% of turnover to be spent on wages. Direct investment by the owner is considered turnover under SCMP so MSD involvement could make a massive difference.
We'll see what happens between now and January then. The mad thing isn't as dead as some think it is

I don't disagree with your first point, but on FFP (SCMP in L1), the only restriction is a max 60% of turnover to be spent on wages. Direct investment by the owner is considered turnover under SCMP so MSD involvement could make a massive difference.
I think the takeover stuff is best left until next summer now. If they come in before January, people will be screaming for us to sign premier league players. They’ll want a full new squad and if it doesn’t happen demand FPP do a podcast to explain themselves.
If we got a load of new players that didn’t instantly gel, people would then be shouting for the manager to be sacked and calling the players overpaid mercenaries.
I just can’t see how it wold benefit us now this season, best just to focus on the now, let the talks progress, maybe get the deal signed off on paper to say the takeover will happen June 1st and leave it at that.

How on earth can anyone turn this into a positive about SD? :lol:

As much as I liked Jack Ross, I would have done exactly the same as what SD has. I'd have given him time until it was pretty sure we weren't going any further in the absence of money to spend, which we don't have. Ross did a cracking job of helping stabilise the club, but the same pattern of results followed in say 8 matches, win 4 draw 3 lose 1 or something - and won't be enough to get us up. I think Ross has built a solid team, but if I'm honest, as much as I think he did a good job, I'm pleased we've had a change of manager - because someone somehow needs to fire some goals up front and Ross just couldn't do that and we're not going up without that.

The good thing for Parkinson is he doesn't need to change much. Just play his best 11 every week and get someone scoring up front. If he can do that we'll go up because the rest of the pitch has proven itself to be easily good enough.

People taking extreme positions again. SD has made mistakes but we are surviving as a club and there is no reason why we shouldn't be automatic promotion candidates this season. I like many can't get excited by The new appointment but there is a lack of realism about who we could attract and pay. I doubt any manager would agree a short contact so 2.5 yrs is realistic. Who knows SDs competence to do the job but at least he is a football person. We've had bigger disasters who werent in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if the takeover was conditional upon promotion this season. Parkinson is far from charismatic but I thought his press conference was sound. He's a realist and seems to know how to get points on the board.

It would have been much easier to do nothing, watch Ross struggle and then sack him when he had absolutely no choice, blaming him. However he has taken a tough decision - putting himself in the firing line - then within a week has recruited someone who is best placed to deliver our short term objective of getting into the Championship. This is not a strategic 5 year move, it is an 18 month one.
Now people calling for Donald to go. You absolute idiots. He has done everything we have asked and wanted as fans so far. At the time most were happy with Ross as an up-and-coming-manager-of-the-future. All well and good but the NOW is more important. We need promotion first, then think about the next 3 years to get back to the PL.

Oh, and anyone who thinks getting MSD involved this year would make any difference knows nothing about finance or FFP. Their investment has nothing to do with this appointment.
Are you speaking on behalf of the club?

It would have been much easier to do nothing, watch Ross struggle and then sack him when he had absolutely no choice, blaming him. However he has taken a tough decision - putting himself in the firing line - then within a week has recruited someone who is best placed to deliver our short term objective of getting into the Championship. This is not a strategic 5 year move, it is an 18 month one.
Now people calling for Donald to go. You absolute idiots. He has done everything we have asked and wanted as fans so far. At the time most were happy with Ross as an up-and-coming-manager-of-the-future. All well and good but the NOW is more important. We need promotion first, then think about the next 3 years to get back to the PL.

Oh, and anyone who thinks getting MSD involved this year would make any difference knows nothing about finance or FFP. Their investment has nothing to do with this appointment.

FFP has nothing to do Managers or Coaching staff.

You seem to think that SD actually knows about football.
He’s a businessman in it for the paydays. He has no loyalty or heart like we do. Seems a nice guy, but what has he actually done?
Ellis Short is still the puppeteer.

So nee promotion this season then? Cracking....

I’d fall short of saying well done Stewart Donald but I get your point. FFP has huge consequences where we are and spending our way out of League One only stores up trouble for the future.

I’m inclined to believe If billionaires with a plan are getting involved they’d play their cards close to their chest with FFP in mind. This could all be part of a long game we aren’t privy to.

Equally Donald could be in full on panic mode. He might have sacked Ross and had no idea who or how much it would cost to replace him.

We’ll find out soon enough. Even by Sunderland standards these are crazy days.

Back