Weight Training while also running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatRyan

Striker
I have started my running now.
Can I do weight training on the other days?
Just bodyweight exercises.

I don't really have a specific goal other than losing weight and toning up.

I have started my running now.
Can I do weight training on the other days?
Just bodyweight exercises.

I don't really have a specific goal other than losing weight and toning up.

I usually do stronglifts 5x5 program Mon, Wed & Sat then run Tue, Thu & Sun, I usually have Fridays off. Just be careful not to do too much too soon.

I usually do stronglifts 5x5 program Mon, Wed & Sat then run Tue, Thu & Sun, I usually have Fridays off. Just be careful not to do too much too soon.

I love stronglifts, when I get my new place I am going to make space for a squat rack so I can do it at home.
that is the best programme I have ever done by far

Have a search on this forum.

I posted a paraphrased transcript of an interview with a strongman type bloke who also entered ironman competitions.

Basis was that short fast hiit sessions and long slow distance runs shouldn't interfere with strength training. Try to avoid mid range tempo race pace which would be different for everyone of course.

Have a search on this forum.

I posted a paraphrased transcript of an interview with a strongman type bloke who also entered ironman competitions.

Basis was that short fast hiit sessions and long slow distance runs shouldn't interfere with strength training. Try to avoid mid range tempo race pace which would be different for everyone of course.

Alex Viada?

I still need my tempo runs, my race times tank without them as my lactate threshold collapses really quickly. I'm not too bothered about increasing my 1 rep maximuns much further though & I'll be switching my strength training to more of an endurance focus as soon as I hit the next plateau.

Alex Viada?

I still need my tempo runs, my race times tank without them as my lactate threshold collapses really quickly. I'm not too bothered about increasing my 1 rep maximuns much further though & I'll be switching my strength training to more of an endurance focus as soon as I hit the next plateau.
Yes that was him. There is a podcast online and I tried to type most of it out.

Iirc he has training cycles and keeps the running towards the end of them and then has a recovery period.

I do 2 main cycles a year, usually aiming to peak in early April & mid September but this year it will be May & October as I'm focusing on an ultra & an autumn marathon for a change.
Nice one mate I did a lot of 10k training last year but got too skinny. I have been weight training since September and now I'm too fat!

Nice one mate I did a lot of 10k training last year but got too skinny. I have been weight training since September and now I'm too fat!

Aye, it's difficult to find a balance.

It's taken me til my late 40s but I'm now at a point where my weight as I cross the finish line of a marathon will be within about half a stone of my heaviest at the start of the cycle.

I just keep it simple now, increase the weight & lower the reps on Stronglifts between running training cycles then deload slightly & increase the reps during running training.

Running training is basically just 1x intervals totalling about 5k, 1x tempo between 10k & 10 miles & 1 long run where I increase the distance 1 week then increase the pace the next week & supplement it with a cardio session on an exercise bike & a cardio session on a rowing machine.

Doing that last year I broke my pbs at 5 miles, 10K, 10 miles, ½ Marathon & Marathon. The only main distance I didn't pb was 5k & some of those pbs had stood since my early 30s

Aye, it's difficult to find a balance.

It's taken me til my late 40s but I'm now at a point where my weight as I cross the finish line of a marathon will be within about half a stone of my heaviest at the start of the cycle.

I just keep it simple now, increase the weight & lower the reps on Stronglifts between running training cycles then deload slightly & increase the reps during running training.

Running training is basically just 1x intervals totalling about 5k, 1x tempo between 10k & 10 miles & 1 long run where I increase the distance 1 week then increase the pace the next week & supplement it with a cardio session on an exercise bike & a cardio session on a rowing machine.

Doing that last year I broke my pbs at 5 miles, 10K, 10 miles, ½ Marathon & Marathon. The only main distance I didn't pb was 5k & some of those pbs had stood since my early 30s
That's really helpful ta for sharing. It is good to see a practical implementation.

I will no doubt get bored of lifting when I stall and deload more often. I started on StrongLifts but now do greyskull lp 3x5 and it has worked ok. I feel that I want to run sometimes so might start again in the spring before it gets too warm for me. Perhaps run March-June then weight train in air con gym until September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back