Weight training & Running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hill sprints with/without a weighted vest. Off-road running stopping every mile to do a 100 press-ups. Also if you're in the gym, just do a set of as many pull-ups as you can between each set you're doing, you'll quickly improve. I also used to circulate a 50 kg standing barbell shoulder-press then do a pull-up straight after, this improved my conditioning aswell as pull-up capacity, which could be beneficial to you.
Ive just had a build up of lactic acid thinking of that :lol:

The Alex Viada links are interesting, cheers @Titus.

A summary from the podcast (I'm half way through) for the lazy amongst you:

Combine cardio and weights.

Weights = mix of max force production and hypertrophy.
Running = intervals, long and slow over a distance.

Typical microcycle of a week for triathletes:

Beginning of week. Gives time to recover if hard work is done early in the week.
- Heavy lifting, low volume e.g. squats.
- Sprints and speed work for running.

Mid-week.
- Accessory lifts, hypertrophy. Low intensity high volume.
- Mid distance run.

End.
- Long slow run, didn't seem to mention what to do for weights.

Cardio work will break down protein, to maintain lean body mass you must lift weights.

Cycling intervals will improve squat.

Contrary to what he said re: micro-cycle above he then says that it's best to do 20% high intensity running and 80% long distance at 10/11 min mile pace. It's easier on the muscle to recover. He says to minimise race-pace mid-level running as it's sub-optimal.

Good stuff, he sounds an OK bloke.

The Alex Viada links are interesting, cheers @Titus.

A summary from the podcast (I'm half way through) for the lazy amongst you:

Combine cardio and weights.

Weights = mix of max force production and hypertrophy.
Running = intervals, long and slow over a distance.

Typical microcycle of a week for triathletes:

Beginning of week. Gives time to recover if hard work is done early in the week.
- Heavy lifting, low volume e.g. squats.
- Sprints and speed work for running.

Mid-week.
- Accessory lifts, hypertrophy. Low intensity high volume.
- Mid distance run.

End.
- Long slow run, didn't seem to mention what to do for weights.

Cardio work will break down protein, to maintain lean body mass you must lift weights.

Cycling intervals will improve squat.

Contrary to what he said re: micro-cycle above he then says that it's best to do 20% high intensity running and 80% long distance at 10/11 min mile pace. It's easier on the muscle to recover. He says to minimise race-pace mid-level running as it's sub-optimal.

Good stuff, he sounds an OK bloke.

People are too scared of cardio ruining there weight training, but it's just not the case. Obviously if you're training for ultra endurance events you aren't going to be maximising strength but still won't turn you in to a skinny Kenyan looking fucker

People are too scared of cardio ruining there weight training, but it's just not the case. Obviously if you're training for ultra endurance events you aren't going to be maximising strength but still won't turn you in to a skinny Kenyan looking fucker

I went for a run last night for 30 mins and enjoyed it. I've nearly accepted that I'll never be the big muscley type so will still do squats and stuff at the gym as Viada mentions near the end of the podcast how it can help runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back