Weight loss thread 2023

I am from a fry up 🤣🤣 wanted to do cereal only ,nee toast or owt like that.
What about porridge?

I lost loads of weight by cutting out bread for my dinner and shredded wheat for breakfast. I started having protein shakes for breakfast, I'm not a massive fan of eating when I wake up, so I have this mid morning.

What about porridge?

I lost loads of weight by cutting out bread for my dinner and shredded wheat for breakfast. I started having protein shakes for breakfast, I'm not a massive fan of eating when I wake up, so I have this mid morning.
Whenever I've tried to loose weight in the past I've automatically gone onto bran for breakfast, just assumed any type of cereal would be OK. Don't mind porridge so I think I will give that a go 👍
Bread going to be the hard bit for me I have 2 or 3 slices with every meal on an evening apart from a roast dinner. I even have bread if our lass does something like burger, chips and peas even though the burger is in a bun 🤣🤣

Whenever I've tried to loose weight in the past I've automatically gone onto bran for breakfast, just assumed any type of cereal would be OK. Don't mind porridge so I think I will give that a go 👍
Bread going to be the hard bit for me I have 2 or 3 slices with every meal on an evening apart from a roast dinner. I even have bread if our lass does something like burger, chips and peas even though the burger is in a bun 🤣🤣
Cut out bread, you'll see a big difference

I'm giving it a go from today to try and lose 2-3 stone. I started running 2/3 times per week early last year, but then my son was born in July and i've just not found the time to get out since. I've done the occasional 5k but nothing consistent - so i've gradually put more and more weight on. I feel it's so important for me to maintain regular exercise as i struggle to maintain a healthy diet as often as i need to (too easy to grab something quick when kids get in the way!). Does anyone have any tips to help me stick in on that side of things?

Usually as long as I'm exercising regular I tend to eat fairly well, but as soon as i stop i throw the healthy eating out the window too! So i find it hard to maintain weight if i'm not running.

March has been a disaster zone and I've totally fallen off the health waggon - a couple of boozy weekends away and a bad dose of manflu where I just wanted to eat comfort food. What with Easter approaching and I really need to get back into some good habits.

At least with the clocks change there is now enough light to get out for a walk before and/or after work. Just needs to replace the stodge with salads.

I hit 89kg last week. Not massively overweight but enough to know clothes are tighter etc. My knee is knackered with arthritis and an injury with footy so the inactivity for months hasn't helped - a bit of a vicious circle. So, whilst slowly recovering from the knee injury I need to shift some weight to improve the arthritis. Would love to hit 80kg but lowest I got to when fit was around 82kg - that was all down to packing in the booze really. I am going to aim for 80kg though (just over 6ft). Probably take a few months of sensible eating to do it whilst steadily increasing any activity levels.

I hit 89kg last week. Not massively overweight but enough to know clothes are tighter etc. My knee is knackered with arthritis and an injury with footy so the inactivity for months hasn't helped - a bit of a vicious circle. So, whilst slowly recovering from the knee injury I need to shift some weight to improve the arthritis. Would love to hit 80kg but lowest I got to when fit was around 82kg - that was all down to packing in the booze really. I am going to aim for 80kg though (just over 6ft). Probably take a few months of sensible eating to do it whilst steadily increasing any activity levels.
If your over 6 foot and 89kg is that overweight ?

If your over 6 foot and 89kg is that overweight ?
Yes mate, obviously not obese or anything (yet!). Just above the normal range so would like to get back down - upper range of normal is around 82kg. I know it's all subjective and there are many ways of measuring this (BMI being the one that's poo-poo'd these days). I know I'm carrying excess fat and I feel it too.

I’ve been going to the gym for a couple weeks and managed to get my body fat down by 1.6%. I wouldn’t say I’m overweight or anything, but when I was working away I got my body fat down to 12.2%, it’s now 21.3%. It’s very noticeable on my back and waist particularly. Good luck to others in their weight loss journey!

Finally, at the age of 31, I'm starting to be mindful about what I eat. In my early 20s I could eat whatever the hell I liked with seemingly no consequences, but for the last few years my beer belly has just got bigger and bigger. It's a bit of a pain as I'm pretty lean everywhere else, it just seems to go all to the gut.

Other than just generally trying to lose weight, does anyone have any tips that actually work to try and reduce the gut in particular?

Finally, at the age of 31, I'm starting to be mindful about what I eat. In my early 20s I could eat whatever the hell I liked with seemingly no consequences, but for the last few years my beer belly has just got bigger and bigger. It's a bit of a pain as I'm pretty lean everywhere else, it just seems to go all to the gut.

Other than just generally trying to lose weight, does anyone have any tips that actually work to try and reduce the gut in particular?
You can't target specific body parts for fat loss. You can obviously tone up muscle in certain areas. You will lose it from your belly if you lose weight and that is where you're carrying the most by the sounds of things.

April was a disaster and I ended up putting on a few pounds and fell back into some old habits so stating May with a fresh start.

I’ve been going to the gym for a couple weeks and managed to get my body fat down by 1.6%. I wouldn’t say I’m overweight or anything, but when I was working away I got my body fat down to 12.2%, it’s now 21.3%. It’s very noticeable on my back and waist particularly. Good luck to others in their weight loss journey!
Since this post, I got sent to work away for a couple weeks then was in between jobs. In that short space I put 9lb back on. Very annoyed at myself. I’m steady away in my new job now though, so have been able to get back into the gym this week finally and eat better. Hoping to shift a stone by mid June.

I've found reading this thread to be inspiring. The simple things can be effective over time: walking the dog twice a day, cutting down on the sauce, eating fewer carbs, doing a few work-outs, cutting out the sugar.
I think it's the getting into a routine or life style over a long period of time that works, rather than short-term diets.

Back