Weight Loss Thread 2021

Just had a detox week after returning from 2 weeks holiday. My digital scales said "new user?" on Monday morning as I had put on so much since my last weigh-in.

that’s a lot for a month. How did you do it ?

cut out a lot of the crap that i was eating generally, particularly choosing better snacks, no alcohol on a school night. exercising more.
i generally lose weight quickly to begin with. stuck around the 84/85kg mark at the moment so need to keep the faith.

Hi all, can anyone give some hope / motivation regarding a weight loss plateau?

Basically late last year I had surgery to remove my thyroid and some lymph nodes due to thyroid cancer. The surgeon said it was tricky to remove it all because there was a lot of fatty tissue in my neck. I was 18 stone 7 at the time.

Come July, a routine follow up found one lump still there on the right hand side (I'm in for surgery next Tuesday to remove it). My weight was still 18 stone 7 and I decided I needed to get a grip of it.

Since then I've been on a large calorie deficit. I have one slimfast shake a day, a main meal of about 800 calories and then a bowl of cereal or a tin of soup. Average calorie intake is about 1200/1300 a day, with loads of water and plenty of veg etc.

This has had a massive impact and, since July, I've gone from 18 stone 7 to 14 stone 12.

The problem is, this past week I've done exactly the same but have actually put a couple pounds on. Given how much, and how consistently, I've been losing prior to now, it's a bit dispiriting to see it creeping up. I'm still having about 3 litres of water a day. I'm still fairly inactive, but given the low calories consumed should still be losing. Is it common to plateau even when you know you're sticking to your calorie deficit? Could it be caused by stress due to the upcoming operation? Was just enjoying the deficit leading to a nice steady loss, so this week has knocked me back a bit.

Basically late last year I had surgery to remove my thyroid and some lymph nodes due to thyroid cancer. The surgeon said it was tricky to remove it all because there was a lot of fatty tissue in my neck. I was 18 stone 7 at the time.

Come July, a routine follow up found one lump still there on the right hand side (I'm in for surgery next Tuesday to remove it). My weight was still 18 stone 7 and I decided I needed to get a grip of it.

Since then I've been on a large calorie deficit. I have one slimfast shake a day, a main meal of about 800 calories and then a bowl of cereal or a tin of soup. Average calorie intake is about 1200/1300 a day, with loads of water and plenty of veg etc.

This has had a massive impact and, since July, I've gone from 18 stone 7 to 14 stone 12.

The problem is, this past week I've done exactly the same but have actually put a couple pounds on. Given how much, and how consistently, I've been losing prior to now, it's a bit dispiriting to see it creeping up. I'm still having about 3 litres of water a day. I'm still fairly inactive, but given the low calories consumed should still be losing. Is it common to plateau even when you know you're sticking to your calorie deficit? Could it be caused by stress due to the upcoming operation? Was just enjoying the deficit leading to a nice steady loss, so this week has knocked me back a bit.
Serious well done for losing all that weight!

Remember that the more you lose the slower the loss will become as you nearer the 'correct' weight. One week doesn't mean much of anything tbh. Keep plugging away and see what it says after 1 month.

Well done on the loss GG, outstanding.

As far as the Plateau is concerned, I hit it myself when I went on a low carb diet, weight flew off then just stopped. I found that exercise and just watching what I ate (no crap basically) worked, but it was slow loss compared to previously.

Just carry on as you are, the weight will still come off, just not as rapidly.

Well done on the loss GG, outstanding.

As far as the Plateau is concerned, I hit it myself when I went on a low carb diet, weight flew off then just stopped. I found that exercise and just watching what I ate (no crap basically) worked, but it was slow loss compared to previously.

Just carry on as you are, the weight will still come off, just not as rapidly.
Thanks mate, aye in the last month I've kept losing, 14 stone 6 now, but it's definitely slower than before. Think the problem when it slows is that it's harder to stick to a fairly restrictive diet. It's easier when you can see the impact on the scales. Glad it's slowly going down again though, but I'm hoping to lose another 2 stone which might take a considerable while! Can't wait until I can just maintain, the extra calories will make it a lot more enjoyable!

Thanks mate, aye in the last month I've kept losing, 14 stone 6 now, but it's definitely slower than before. Think the problem when it slows is that it's harder to stick to a fairly restrictive diet. It's easier when you can see the impact on the scales. Glad it's slowly going down again though, but I'm hoping to lose another 2 stone which might take a considerable while! Can't wait until I can just maintain, the extra calories will make it a lot more enjoyable!
Its amazing how better you feel with it, little things like being able to tie your shoe laces in comfort :lol:

Its amazing how better you feel with it, little things like being able to tie your shoe laces in comfort :lol:
Absolutely! I was thinking there was something wrong with me because, no matter how much sleep I got, I'd still feel tired all of the next day and just be counting down the hours till I could sleep. As soon as I lost a bit of weight that's gone. Used to hate climbing the stairs, now it's no bother. And aye, tieing shoe laces and cutting toe nails is a much easier task now. Wish I'd done it years ago

Have you tried intermittent fasting? I've been looking up the benefits and they seem fantastic. If you look up autophagy it can have remarkable effects on your health including cancer prevention and early stage cancer suppression. Research does show it doesn't have a good effect on late stage cancer so do your research if you're interested.

I've been doing one meal a day and low carb and generally lose around lb a day. I fell off the wagon doing 2 all inclusive holidays since August but I'm back on it now and only 9lb heavier than August. I'd gone down from 17st 8 to 14st 6 doing this.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? I've been looking up the benefits and they seem fantastic. If you look up autophagy it can have remarkable effects on your health including cancer prevention and early stage cancer suppression. Research does show it doesn't have a good effect on late stage cancer so do your research if you're interested.

I've been doing one meal a day and low carb and generally lose around lb a day. I fell off the wagon doing 2 all inclusive holidays since August but I'm back on it now and only 9lb heavier than August. I'd gone down from 17st 8 to 14st 6 doing this.
Your weight loss is excellent but surely the intermittent part of your diet is irrelevant as by having only one meal a day , you must be in a substantial calorific deficit . You are also bordering on keto so would this would also assist in weight loss .

Back