Weight Loss Thread 2021

I weighed myself on the 17th April and I was 93.4kg - 14st 7lb. That's the heaviest I think I've ever been.
Bought some trainers on Sunday as I've just been able to get to an open shop that sells them and as of Monday I've started (attempting to) run again.

I did a loop from our house around the block and back again - clocked it at over 800m about half a mile and fuck me was I out of shape.
I've done it every day since and my calves are now about 80% lactic acid. Any suggestions welcome.
I went for a run (shuffle) this lunchtime and had to stop and try and stretch them a bit - didn't work, but instead I walked a bit and then jogged the loop again. This may have been an error.

I'll get there, slowly but surely I suspect. It's just surprisingly painful at the moment!

I can make all the excuses I want - and they're legitimate ones too, but I really should have tried to do something more before now.
You need to let your legs recover. Are you trying to run fast?

The first 2 or 3 weeks are always hell, well done for getting out.

The trainers you’ve bought, are they ones you’d usually use? Are you having a decent stretch after you finish as well?

I've bought them specifically for running. I'm having a cool down walk and try to stretch afterwards. I even did leg elevations for 3 minutes yesterday to try and clear my legs. Still hurt this morning!

You need to let your legs recover. Are you trying to run fast?

True enough. At the moment, fast isn't really an option. I'm just trying to keep going. I should probably go for a jog this lunchtime or evening, but I might have to restrict myself to a walk instead if it will help my legs recover.

Aside from being on the heavier side, for me anyway, I'm working from home so I'm sat on my arse for hours until I do something. That can't be helping

I've bought them specifically for running. I'm having a cool down walk and try to stretch afterwards. I even did leg elevations for 3 minutes yesterday to try and clear my legs. Still hurt this morning!

True enough. At the moment, fast isn't really an option. I'm just trying to keep going. I should probably go for a jog this lunchtime or evening, but I might have to restrict myself to a walk instead if it will help my legs recover.

Aside from being on the heavier side, for me anyway, I'm working from home so I'm sat on my arse for hours until I do something. That can't be helping
i'm on the heavier side but i manage.

take a few days off and walk, wait until your legs feel normal again and start. recovery is just as important as training.

i use these. i wore them yesterday during a really fast track session and my calfs are sound

i'm on the heavier side but i manage.

take a few days off and walk, wait until your legs feel normal again and start. recovery is just as important as training.

i use these. i wore them yesterday during a really fast track session and my calfs are sound

That might be worth the investment. I went for a jog round the block this lunchtime - I can't really call it running if i'm not doing it at pace can I? I don't know. Either way I'm doing it.
Round the block - stretched before and after and I'm ok. Calves still hurt a bit but they're being used more!

That might be worth the investment. I went for a jog round the block this lunchtime - I can't really call it running if i'm not doing it at pace can I? I don't know. Either way I'm doing it.
Round the block - stretched before and after and I'm ok. Calves still hurt a bit but they're being used more!
What's the difference? If I'm going for an easy run I don't look at the pace and run to how I feel, I don't give myself targets. If I'm doing a structured session I put effort in there. I can't see the logic of running hard round a block for half a mile.

What's the difference? If I'm going for an easy run I don't look at the pace and run to how I feel, I don't give myself targets. If I'm doing a structured session I put effort in there. I can't see the logic of running hard round a block for half a mile.

I suppose a jog is quite gentle, but a run you're going for some pace and trying to maybe beat a time?
Anywho another decent trot round the block first thing this morning so that's good

Starting weight 16st9lbs
Weight now 15st5lbs
Started 2 months ago trying to get to 12/13st.

5:2 diet
Walking 4/5 mile every day
Weights 3 times a week.
Starting weight 16st9lbs
Weight now 15st5lbs
Started 2 months ago trying to get to 12/13st.

5:2 diet
Walking 4/5 mile every day
Weights 3 times a week.

Broke the 15st barrier this morning now down to 14st13lb.

Body fat percentage all over the place though according to the scales it’s only dropped below 30 once but that’s a small gripe more than happy with progress.

I was 14 and a bit stone at the start of lock down 1. I was around 14 stone in the summer. Was doing well until lockdown 2 /3.
Sport stopping has really hurt me. Now i've got a hernia so can't restart football and I'm over 15 stone.
Really gutted.
Going to try and run this weekend but I won't be able to go fast which is something i'll struggle to do. Really need to eat better so hopefully this is the start of sorting myself out

Pretty good Monday morning weigh-in. Lost 17lbs since the start of the year and now I'm the lightest I've been since March-20. It would have been over 20lbs if it wasn't for lapsing into old habits over Easter but I'm back in the groove now. No crap food, 2-3 miles walk every day and alcohol only at weekends (though that will be harder to maintain when the pubs reopen)

Next target is that If I could lose another 8lbs before the end of June then that will take me back to where I was in the summer of 2018 and would be 25lbs for the first 6 months of the year

Can anyone recommend a calorie calculator that they'd used and trust? Tried about 3 different ones last night and all gave different and sometimes confusing advice.

Can anyone recommend a calorie calculator that they'd used and trust? Tried about 3 different ones last night and all gave different and sometimes confusing advice.

not sure if you have to pay, i just follow him on insta

I lost 17lbs during first lock down last year this was August. By time Jan 2021 came I'd put 28lbs back on. Now I've lost 20lbs again. And the aim is to lose 20lbs more. Small steps and I shall get there!

The great weigh in has returned. 😏 I fell off the wagon due to holidays and illness and last week when I started properly again I'd put on 3 pounds.

Got weighed today and I've lost those 3 pounds so I'm back to 11 stone 1 pound. 👍

Onwards and downwards. Good luck everyone.
I was 14 and a bit stone at the start of lock down 1. I was around 14 stone in the summer. Was doing well until lockdown 2 /3.
Sport stopping has really hurt me. Now i've got a hernia so can't restart football and I'm over 15 stone.
Really gutted.
Going to try and run this weekend but I won't be able to go fast which is something i'll struggle to do. Really need to eat better so hopefully this is the start of sorting myself out

If you can't run could you try walking regularly instead? I know it's not the same but a regular walk can also burn calories and gets you out.
Broke the 15st barrier this morning now down to 14st13lb.

Body fat percentage all over the place though according to the scales it’s only dropped below 30 once but that’s a small gripe more than happy with progress.

You are doing really well, you must be chuffed.

Last edited:
The great weigh in has returned. 😏 I fell off the wagon due to holidays and illness and last week when I started properly again I'd put on 3 pounds.

Got weighed today and I've lost those 3 pounds so I'm back to 11 stone 1 pound. 👍

Onwards and downwards. Good luck everyone.

If you can't run could you try walking regularly instead? I know it's not the same but a regular walk can also burn calories and gets you out.

You are doing really well, you must be chuffed.

I am 😀 weighed myself on Friday now down to 14st6lb.

Dec 2019 weighed 12st 6lb, the pandemic hit and i thought here's an opportunity to live a more healthy life with the pubs shut etc. How wrong was i, i knew i had put weight on but bloody hell, plucked up the courage to get on the scales 1st monday in april 15st 8lbs over a stone heavier than ive ever been. 7 weeks now into a healthier routine and im 13st 13lb, total loss of 23lb so far. Hopefully get down to mid to low 11stone by September.

Was 19.11lb.
Now 16.11

About 7 months doing low carb. Was quite happy doing my 10k steps most days but watched the documentary on bbc1 last week and it suggested 3 x 10 minutes at higher intensity were more effective than 10k steps. Living close to the Tyne gives me good opportunity to get up n down plenty stairs and hills to intensify my walks. I walk an hour a day now which incorporates the 3 x 10m at higher intensity ("active 10" app)
Aiming for 15 (but could likely be less) as a target. Cutting the high grade carbs has been a god send.
Down to 16.4
T2d kicked into touch......Giddup (low carb meaty) sausage!

Back