Weight loss 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually started my diet on the 4th but didn't want to hype myself up after fading away badly last year. My intention was to wait a month and check my weight as I'm motivated better by thinking I've not lost anything then hopefully finding out I've lost a few pounds. Surprise, surprise I'm too nosey to last out for a month so after two weeks I weighed myself this morning.

I want to say thank you to the people who have mentioned the app myfitnesspal as I'm finding it very useful and now wouldn't be be without it.

I've set myself a goal of 2 pounds a month, it doesn't sound a lot but for me it's quite stretching and factors in holidays, illness and weekends off. I want to lose 24 pounds ie 2 pounds/month for 12 months but I'll be happy with 11 stone and ecstatic with 10.5.

Down to the nitty gritty 04/01 I was 11 stone 13 pounds, today I'm 11 stone 10 pounds and I'm well chuffed.

I'm finding it tricky due to a severe lack of sleep which makes me hungry during the night and means I lack energy to do anything during the day but hopefully I can still make progress.

Good luck everyone onwards and downwards! 👍

I actually started my diet on the 4th but didn't want to hype myself up after fading away badly last year. My intention was to wait a month and check my weight as I'm motivated better by thinking I've not lost anything then hopefully finding out I've lost a few pounds. Surprise, surprise I'm too nosey to last out for a month so after two weeks I weighed myself this morning.

I want to say thank you to the people who have mentioned the app myfitnesspal as I'm finding it very useful and now wouldn't be be without it.

I've set myself a goal of 2 pounds a month, it doesn't sound a lot but for me it's quite stretching and factors in holidays, illness and weekends off. I want to lose 24 pounds ie 2 pounds/month for 12 months but I'll be happy with 11 stone and ecstatic with 10.5.

Down to the nitty gritty 04/01 I was 11 stone 13 pounds, today I'm 11 stone 10 pounds and I'm well chuffed.

I'm finding it tricky due to a severe lack of sleep which makes me hungry during the night and means I lack energy to do anything during the day but hopefully I can still make progress.

Good luck everyone onwards and downwards! 👍
2lbs a month is roughly half a pound a week which is realistic and will probably give you better “aesthetic” results at the end than trying to lose 2-3lbs a week. My aim is similar. I have a target of Another 11lbs off with a target date of the end of June. Lost a stone between beginning of September and Christmas which works out at just under 1lb a week.

My brother in law and his wife keep going on about how if they lose 3-4lbs a week that will be however many stone off by whatever date and it’s just unrealistic.

2lbs a month is roughly half a pound a week which is realistic and will probably give you better “aesthetic” results at the end than trying to lose 2-3lbs a week. My aim is similar. I have a target of Another 11lbs off with a target date of the end of June. Lost a stone between beginning of September and Christmas which works out at just under 1lb a week.

My brother in law and his wife keep going on about how if they lose 3-4lbs a week that will be however many stone off by whatever date and it’s just unrealistic.

For me to lose 3-4 pounds a week, I'd have to cut off my arm or leg! 😏 I can only exercise for a few mins at a time so going to the gym for a huge workout to lose 3-4 pounds isn't going to happen for me.

I think you've got the right idea losing at a steady rate then you don't get demotivated when your 4 pounds a week turns to one.

I also think you are more likely to keep it off with a steady reduction, I had to leave work 5 years ago and it's taken that time to put on a stone. If I can lose the stone + VAT then I'm set up for hopefully another 5 years 😁

Good luck! 👍

Without some serious training there is no chance of losing 3-4lbs every week. My first target is to get under the 12st mark by the end of March. Its only about 6lbs so more than doable.

Without some serious training there is no chance of losing 3-4lbs every week. My first target is to get under the 12st mark by the end of March. Its only about 6lbs so more than doable.
Exactly, but they won’t listen. I’m in the gym 4-5 times a week and am only losing half a pound to a pound a week which is absolutely fine by me.

I do a lot of weight training (but also incorporating a lot of HIIT circuits at the mo, both for 10mins at the end of each session and 1-2 dedicated 30min HIIT classes a week) so trying to maintain as much muscle as possible.

Exactly, but they won’t listen. I’m in the gym 4-5 times a week and am only losing half a pound to a pound a week which is absolutely fine by me.

I do a lot of weight training (but also incorporating a lot of HIIT circuits at the mo, both for 10mins at the end of each session and 1-2 dedicated 30min HIIT classes a week) so trying to maintain as much muscle as possible.

In your case taking pictures and measurements is a much better way of tracking progress than the scales. I'm going to take a weekly picture as well as tracking my weight. Won't be able to train with a proper routine until September when the bairn starts nursery.

In your case taking pictures and measurements is a much better way of tracking progress than the scales.
you’re preaching to the converted here, although I’ve not taken any photos since before Christmas (only weighed myself once since Christmas too), I’m using the 14st mark as a target but if I end up totally happy with where I am before I reach that then I’ll change my target.

Im actually feeling my body composition is the best it’s probably ever been, at the age of 35,even compared to back in my early-mid 20s when I was super fit (did the 8mile leg of the Edinburgh Marathon relay as part of a work team in under an hour - I think it was 56mins from memory - after being drafted in due to injury with a week’s notice). I mainly credit this to actually getting enough protein in my diet. After starting to use MFP I realised was getting less than 100g daily on a
regular basis.

you’re preaching to the converted here, although I’ve not taken any photos since before Christmas (only weighed myself once since Christmas too), I’m using the 14st mark as a target but if I end up totally happy with where I am before I reach that then I’ll change my target.

Im actually feeling my body composition is the best it’s probably ever been, at the age of 35,even compared to back in my early-mid 20s when I was super fit (did the 8mile leg of the Edinburgh Marathon relay as part of a work team in under an hour - I think it was 56mins from memory - after being drafted in due to injury with a week’s notice). I mainly credit this to actually getting enough protein in my diet. After starting to use MFP I realised was getting less than 100g daily on a
regular basis.

I'm still working on upping my protein. Need to reduce the cards and replace them with protein.

You tend to notice by the end of a weight loss journey, the graph evens off as your metabolism adapts. They'll not repeat 3-4lbs a week

You tend to notice by the end of a weight loss journey, the graph evens off as your metabolism adapts. They'll not repeat 3-4lbs a week

Yep, and the more you have to lose the easier the first X amount of lbs fall off. I think getting from 12 and a half stone to 11 and a half stone will be OK but the last half a stone down to 11st will be a slow and frustrating process.

Once the weight loss slows alot of people including myself in the past give up and revert back to their old ways and pile it back on.

Yep, and the more you have to lose the easier the first X amount of lbs fall off. I think getting from 12 and a half stone to 11 and a half stone will be OK but the last half a stone down to 11st will be a slow and frustrating process.

Once the weight loss slows alot of people including myself in the past give up and revert back to their old ways and pile it back on.

I got down to 17 stone 10 by mid October from 24 stone 10, taken me til now to shift that last stone and even then I've had to cut since Jan 2nd. In fact, I think 5 of the 8 stone I've dropped went by the end of July. Started weight training as opposed to cardio, upped calories yet still got two stone off before the cut.

Fitness is a long game, anyone bragging about quick results almost always reverts to type and falls back to square one

I got down to 17 stone 10 by mid October from 24 stone 10, taken me til now to shift that last stone and even then I've had to cut since Jan 2nd. In fact, I think 5 of the 8 stone I've dropped went by the end of July. Started weight training as opposed to cardio, upped calories yet still got two stone off before the cut.

Fitness is a long game, anyone bragging about quick results almost always reverts to type and falls back to square one
lost just under 5st at the age of 19 and kept it all off for 14 years until I gained over 2 stone from comfort eating resulting from combination of being stressed out of my nut at work, and both my uncle (who was more like a grandfather to me) and a close friend passing within a month of each other at the start of 2018.

I'm about 3ib down since start of year. Rather than being to strict about my diet I'm just being sensible. To go along with my running I'm doing a few weight circuits at the gym and also and a little bit of swimming anarl. If I keep plodding on I'll hopefully lose another couple of lbs in the next month. I could probably take it off a little quicker but I love a takeaway and a bit chocolate as a treat over the weekend. Nowt better than a monster 14" pizza when you know you've had a decent healthy week with good exercise :D

A further 2lbs off since last update so 16 stone 8. This with increasing my calories to 2,500-2,700 from 2,000 flat, and introducing more carbs. Think my maintenence is about 3,000, which I'll be giving a go once this year of fitness is over with on February 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back