Weight Loss 2019

Right, I need some motivation. Got a challenge on with a mate, we both need to lose 20% body weight by end of June 2019. I am 6ft 0" and started on 1 Jan at 17st 6lbs (244lbs). Haven't been well all year (chest infection) but have been on a few 4 mile walks. Have lost 4lbs in last two weeks (only another 44 to go!) Is walking a good way to carry on or do I need to step it up? (can jog about 2 miles in 20mins but it kills my knees).
I'm no fitness expert by any means, but I've never found any real benefit from walking. Even long walks. Unless you're moving your arms and walking at a fast pace, you're not going to notice much difference. If you really want to see a difference, you have really have to get your entire body moving. Jogging and running are not the only way to step up the exercise. Jumping rope is a great way to get a really good cardio work out in a short amount of time.

However, I swear by burpees. They are by far the best cardio work out that you can do in my opinion. You can start slow and kind just walk through out at first, then as you build up endurance, you can start doing them a lot faster and with more intensity. Just in case you don't know what they are (or if you call them something else there):

Logon or register to see this image

16.1.19 weigh in .... 1kg lost

Target was to lose 6kg in 5 weeks
So far 2kg lost in two weeks
To go....4kg in three weeks
I believe that's just over 4 lbs if my calculation/conversion is correct. That's really good for 2 weeks. Good job!

Right, I need some motivation. Got a challenge on with a mate, we both need to lose 20% body weight by end of June 2019. I am 6ft 0" and started on 1 Jan at 17st 6lbs (244lbs). Haven't been well all year (chest infection) but have been on a few 4 mile walks. Have lost 4lbs in last two weeks (only another 44 to go!) Is walking a good way to carry on or do I need to step it up? (can jog about 2 miles in 20mins but it kills my knees).

If jogging hurts your knees have you considered swimming? The water supports your joints whilst you still get a good workout.

Thank you, but I feel it may get harder after first two weeks but I shall persevere.
Are you exercising as well or was it just a change in your diet? Typically, the first month is hard to see results, but as your work out and eat right, your body starts to use the fat as energy and you burn it faster. You will reach a plateau, though, it's bound to happen. You just have to power through those and maybe change your exercise routine (if you're exercising) to challenge your body. For me, it's always worked to change my work out routing every 6 months or so. But I've just picked it back up so I have a long ways to go.

One of the things I've done is not focus on the weight loss. Just on being healthier. Whenever I focus on weight loss, it seems I get discouraged and have a hard time sticking with the eating right/working out routine. Now, I'm letting weight loss be a benefit from eating right and working out, but not the goal, if it happens - great, but really, I just want to be healthier.

Are you exercising as well or was it just a change in your diet?
Exercise hasn't changed. I usually eat pretty well but "dieting" for me means cutting the extras ( usually sweets, cakes, pastries) out and trying to exclude pizzas and ice cream (weak points).

One of the things I've done is not focus on the weight loss. Just on being healthier. Whenever I focus on weight loss, it seems I get discouraged and have a hard time sticking with the eating right/working out routine. Now, I'm letting weight loss be a benefit from eating right and working out, but not the goal, if it happens - great, but really, I just want to be healthier.
I think this sounds great.

Last edited:
Exercise hasn't changed. I usually eat pretty well but "dieting" for me means cutting the extras ( usually sweets, cakes, pastries) out and trying to exclude pizzas and ice cream (weak points).

I think this sounds great.
Thanks, pal

I'm not trying to lose weight as such, but definitely some fat. I've bounced about between calorie targets and different training plans for the last two months and a total lack of progress is the only result I have. Aiming now for 2200kcal per day, 150g or protein as part of that, plus a structured exercise plan.

Main thing for the next two weeks is to cut right back on the drink. Struggling with it post Christmas.

I'm not trying to lose weight as such, but definitely some fat. I've bounced about between calorie targets and different training plans for the last two months and a total lack of progress is the only result I have. Aiming now for 2200kcal per day, 150g or protein as part of that, plus a structured exercise plan.

Main thing for the next two weeks is to cut right back on the drink. Struggling with it post Christmas.
Reduce the caloric intake gradually and vary the kinds of calories that you take in. Also, I recommend eating blueberries - great snack and it helps you burn fat. And lastly, do weight training. Honestly, best way to burn fat is to use weights.

Almost didn't work out yesterday. My body kept telling me that I'm tired, that resting for the day wouldn't be an issue, that I didn't feel good, but through it all I just kept getting ready, ignoring my body and my mind practically yelling at me to not work out. I didn't feel like working out at all. But I ignored it and just getting ready to work out. Every single part of me was begging me to just go and do something relaxing instead. Then, I put on my earphones, hit play on my music, and just started ignoring my own body, mind, heart, and soul that were telling me otherwise.

I had a really good work out and I felt great after I was done.

I read about that somewhere online (I don't recall the site), where it says that when every single cell in your body is begging you not to work out, you just ignore the voice. You keep getting ready and then you start. I didn't think that was a real thing when I read it, but I experienced it myself yesterday.

So, whenever you know you have to work out but everything is telling you not to. Just ignore it. Just keep putting on your gym clothes, lacing up your shoes, putting on your headphones... and then just start working out. You will be glad you did.

Good luck to all on here. Hope it's going well for you.

I'm here for support and encouragement if you need it.

Almost didn't work out yesterday. My body kept telling me that I'm tired, that resting for the day wouldn't be an issue, that I didn't feel good, but through it all I just kept getting ready, ignoring my body and my mind practically yelling at me to not work out. I didn't feel like working out at all. But I ignored it and just getting ready to work out. Every single part of me was begging me to just go and do something relaxing instead. Then, I put on my earphones, hit play on my music, and just started ignoring my own body, mind, heart, and soul that were telling me otherwise.

I had a really good work out and I felt great after I was done.

I read about that somewhere online (I don't recall the site), where it says that when every single cell in your body is begging you not to work out, you just ignore the voice. You keep getting ready and then you start. I didn't think that was a real thing when I read it, but I experienced it myself yesterday.

So, whenever you know you have to work out but everything is telling you not to. Just ignore it. Just keep putting on your gym clothes, lacing up your shoes, putting on your headphones... and then just start working out. You will be glad you did.

Good luck to all on here. Hope it's going well for you.

I'm here for support and encouragement if you need it.

Really didn't want to go on the Wii fit today, but I read this and thought oh poo bags if he can do it then get your tushy on it.

I've done steps and jogging and unlike you Mr Monk I do not feel great. :rolleyes::lol:

Back