Weight Loss 2019

I’ve lost no weight but lost fat and gained muscle mass. Taken my deadlift from struggling at 30 kilos to 85 kilos in 4 weeks!
Someone told me that deadlift actually helps with weight loss. Ive started another health kick as I piled on nearly two stone after coming back from the isle of man a couple of years ago.. lack of exercise, bad diet, and drinking every night in the hotel as well as drinking at football etc.. personally I think the alcohol contributed to most of the weight. Anyway.. the original question. Deadlift, is it as 'beneficial as its made out to be?

I've lost 30lb this year. Main change I done was change my dinner from sarnies to pasta. I'm flying with my running now. Can't believe I thought my weight was acceptable. 15 stone, 6ft 2.

Someone told me that deadlift actually helps with weight loss. Ive started another health kick as I piled on nearly two stone after coming back from the isle of man a couple of years ago.. lack of exercise, bad diet, and drinking every night in the hotel as well as drinking at football etc.. personally I think the alcohol contributed to most of the weight. Anyway.. the original question. Deadlift, is it as 'beneficial as its made out to be?

It’s great exercise mate, strengthens your core, burns loads of calories, only thing to add is make sure your form is right before shifting decent weight about.

Just seen this. I’m using it primarily to build and strengthen my core to rehab my back - I had surgery and it’s weak as piss. However my core and back feel a shit load stronger since I started doing specific exercises including the deadlift.

Don’t go too heavy too soon though or you can do some serious damage. However the feeling when you can feel that you’re able to lift heavier weights is fantastic.

I just managed a 100 kilo leg press the other day - I’m avoiding back squats for now because of my back. When I started I was barely able to do 70.

Last edited:
Dropped to 19st3lbs. Weight is moving a bit slower since I started lifting the weights and doing 20-30min cardio afterwards but I feel and look a lot better as a result. Think I'm gonna dedicate one day a week purely to cardio though going forward.

My target for my holiday was to loose 20lb,i didn't do it but I did loose a stone plus shifted 12inches across my measurements which I was happy with. I had a few bad weekends which I think contributed to not hitting the 20lb, however before my hols I started using myfitnesspal to log my calories as well as macros. I'm back from hols now, 11 nights of all inclusiveness and on my scales I've gained 8lb!! Been back to the gym for the first time tonight and I'm totally ruined. Blowing out my arse, I had a stitch, felt sick and had cramp in countless muscles. Back on it double time from tomorrow, I'm getting pressure at work to join a little running club so will give it a few weeks back at boot camp then give that a try as well.

My target for my holiday was to loose 20lb,i didn't do it but I did loose a stone plus shifted 12inches across my measurements which I was happy with. I had a few bad weekends which I think contributed to not hitting the 20lb, however before my hols I started using myfitnesspal to log my calories as well as macros. I'm back from hols now, 11 nights of all inclusiveness and on my scales I've gained 8lb!! Been back to the gym for the first time tonight and I'm totally ruined. Blowing out my arse, I had a stitch, felt sick and had cramp in countless muscles. Back on it double time from tomorrow, I'm getting pressure at work to join a little running club so will give it a few weeks back at boot camp then give that a try as well.
Thats the problem.. it doesnt take much to knock you back and I think its a contributing factor why some people just give up.. the other issue is, the quicker you lose the weight the easier and much quicker it is to pile it back on. I managed my first 4k run for nearly 5 years yesterday, ill get it upto 5k and reduce my time to 30 mins. Im hoping to start deadlifts as soon as Im shown how to do it properly without injury.

Thats the problem.. it doesnt take much to knock you back and I think its a contributing factor why some people just give up.. the other issue is, the quicker you lose the weight the easier and much quicker it is to pile it back on. I managed my first 4k run for nearly 5 years yesterday, ill get it upto 5k and reduce my time to 30 mins. Im hoping to start deadlifts as soon as Im shown how to do it properly without injury.

I wish I could do 4k, my mates keep asking me to join their running club but I don't feel up to it yet.
6 sessions at the gym this week and I've shifted my holiday weight(8lb) plus another pound for good measure so I'm well happy with that. Only thing is, after a shit day at work I could murder a few cans.

I wish I could do 4k, my mates keep asking me to join their running club but I don't feel up to it yet.
6 sessions at the gym this week and I've shifted my holiday weight(8lb) plus another pound for good measure so I'm well happy with that. Only thing is, after a shit day at work I could murder a few cans.
Ive cut out the beer during thw week.. did my first 5k run (jog) for nearly 5 years... 40 mins but I did it... had my health check this week and my cholesterol is above what it should be.. more healthy heating and exercise.... Ive got about 2.5 stone I want to shift

Don’t know what club you’re considering mate but I don’t think many have a minimum fitness requirement, I think Sunderland strollers may do but the last I saw I think it was 5 miles in 55 minutes so nothing scary.

I put it off for a good while thinking I needed to be a lot fitter than I was when I would have improved much quicker if I’d joined sooner. I did it alone so it’ll help you already having mates in the club.

@Stevie Freestein II mentioned Lyle McDonald on the Layne Norton thread (cheers Stevie). I've just come across the below and thought it may help some on here who are wondering about weight loss strategies and where to look for solid advice:

@Stevie Freestein II mentioned Lyle McDonald on the Layne Norton thread (cheers Stevie). I've just come across the below and thought it may help some on here who are wondering about weight loss strategies and where to look for solid advice:

Thanks for the reference! I had only heard of Lyle McDonald from him being mentioned on here by posters who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am.

Thanks for the reference! I had only heard of Lyle McDonald from him being mentioned on here by posters who are a lot more knowledgeable than I am.

And they will have heard of him from people who, at the time, knew more than they did... It's a virtuous circle.

That's what I enjoy about this section of the forum - and is the reason this is the only section where I really spend any time nowadays - people, on the whole, seem to want to help and support each other.

I've been doing a clinical trial for a year and and most people on it (there's a forum) have put weight on (those not on the placebo).

I think the drug (which isn't working unfortunately) makes you retain more water (ankles swelling) as well as increasing appetite. It tastes like calpol too so that's probably not helping either.

Anyway upshot is I've put on about 11lbs in the year, reached 15 stone and drew a line in the sand. 34 inch jeans are getting tight and I'm not buying the next size up! I can't really exercise much (condition linked to trial) so I'm cutting out evening treats and cutting back on drinking. I've bought some Michelob light, 73 calories per bottle and going to have 1 or 2 bottles twice a week.

After 12 days I've lost 5 lbs, down to 14 stone 9 this morning. However, the wheels are coming off today as I'm off to the match and a few beers.

Hopefully I'm only about a pound more come Monday. Moving in the right direction at least.

Lost another 5 lbs, down to 14 stone 4. Jeans are much easier to fasten, looking a little better in the kite region.

I had a good drink at the match on Saturday, put a pound on but that will soon come off. Hopefully get down to 14 stone within the next 2 weeks.

Lost another 5 lbs, down to 14 stone 4. Jeans are much easier to fasten, looking a little better in the kite region.

I had a good drink at the match on Saturday, put a pound on but that will soon come off. Hopefully get down to 14 stone within the next 2 weeks.
I had a sample of Michelob in asda. It was minging.

Back