Weight Loss 2019

Late to the party here but better late than never

I am 5'10 and 13 stone which puts me into the overweight category. I don't have alot of muscle and carry all my excess weight on my stomach. I tend to fluctuate between about 12 St 6 lbs and 13st 2 lbs but think I need to be 11st 7lbs and under to get rid of my kite.

I eat well during the week and am probably in a calorie deficit Monday to Thursday but I drink too much atleast two days a week. I think I need to drink 1 day a week maximum and stop getting drunk to reach my goal because I crave shit food when I'm drinking aswell as the extra calories from the booze.

Tablets don't burn fat, if they did they would say that. They say they "promote" burning fat because it's the most ambiguous yet utterly meaningless thing they can legally say on the label.

They may raise your heart rate and give you a temporary sense of energy that negates your desire to eat, or gets you through a short period of exercise, but both of these should & could be achieved by a proper diet and programme.

You're looking for a quick fix to what you know the real solution is, which is consistent exercise and for weight loss a calorie deficit.

I've been on a consistent exercise and diet regimen with a calorie deficit since February 6th and lost almost 5 stone as a result - without the tablets. I got them because a mate of mine said they helped him run longer so I thought for less than a tenner I'll give them a go. They certainly seem to give me a temporary energy boost - whether that's a placebo effect or not I don't know but it is what it is.

I've been on a consistent exercise and diet regimen with a calorie deficit since February 6th and lost almost 5 stone as a result - without the tablets. I got them because a mate of mine said they helped him run longer so I thought for less than a tenner I'll give them a go. They certainly seem to give me a temporary energy boost - whether that's a placebo effect or not I don't know but it is what it is.

You beat me to it - I was going to say that from reading your other posts you're definitely doing amazingly well - and these things would be a 1%er for you...

I am 5'10 and 13 stone which puts me into the overweight category. I don't have alot of muscle and carry all my excess weight on my stomach. I tend to fluctuate between about 12 St 6 lbs and 13st 2 lbs but think I need to be 11st 7lbs and under to get rid of my kite.

I eat well during the week and am probably in a calorie deficit Monday to Thursday but I drink too much atleast two days a week. I think I need to drink 1 day a week maximum and stop getting drunk to reach my goal because I crave shit food when I'm drinking aswell as the extra calories from the booze.
Do you exercise? That really is the great equalizer when it comes to losing weight. It helps make up on those "cheat" days. I strongly believe that exercise is even more important than a good diet. You need to do both, but I have been working out consistently and regularly recently and I can feel the benefits a lot more than just when I tried to diet to lose weight. There's something very powerful about being active.

Do you exercise? That really is the great equalizer when it comes to losing weight. It helps make up on those "cheat" days. I strongly believe that exercise is even more important than a good diet. You need to do both, but I have been working out consistently and regularly recently and I can feel the benefits a lot more than just when I tried to diet to lose weight. There's something very powerful about being active.
I don't exercise enough. Once the kids are in bed I usually chill out and on a weekend I drink beer. I need to start earning my beer by exercising once the kids are in bed.

I don't exercise enough. Once the kids are in bed I usually chill out and on a weekend I drink beer. I need to start earning my beer by exercising once the kids are in bed.
If you have young kids at home, it's hard. I get it and understand it. It took me years of starting and restarting. This is probably the most consistent I have been since I was a young man. And it's still too early to really consider it a victory. If I am still doing this by next year, then I will be good.

Do your best and as often as you can. You can also take the kids and do some running and things of that nature. Keeps them active and keeps you active, so it's a win-win. Best of luck with it, pal.

If you have young kids at home, it's hard. I get it and understand it. It took me years of starting and restarting. This is probably the most consistent I have been since I was a young man. And it's still too early to really consider it a victory. If I am still doing this by next year, then I will be good.

Do your best and as often as you can. You can also take the kids and do some running and things of that nature. Keeps them active and keeps you active, so it's a win-win. Best of luck with it, pal.
Cheers marra.

You beat me to it - I was going to say that from reading your other posts you're definitely doing amazingly well - and these things would be a 1%er for you...

It was purely to see if they could give me a bit of a kick up the arse. I only just got up to running 5 miles in an hour and 3. They do seem to help fatigue but that'll be the caffeine. I certainly don't see them as a quick fix.

100% agree with this logic. I feel amazing after a long run, my mind is sharper, sleeping better etc.

All linked back to the exercise I started in January, no doubt at all.

No. You can’t out-train a shite diet.

You probably are NOT in a deficit as you are overweight.

Decide whether you really want to lose weight, or eat badly for 3 days and drink beer.

Last edited:
It was purely to see if they could give me a bit of a kick up the arse. I only just got up to running 5 miles in an hour and 3. They do seem to help fatigue but that'll be the caffeine. I certainly don't see them as a quick fix.

I'll take pre-workout on occasion - on a similar basis as to you're suggesting - if I've had a crap night's sleep, if I'm testing one rep max's, or if I just need a general boost. For those saying it's cheaper to just have a coffee I'd challenge that they're not drinking good enough coffee! I try and avoid pre-workout where possible though, as I think it would be easy to lose the edge it gives you (even if purely placebo) if you took it every time.

Sounds like you're doing amazing things mate - and if you find it helps, keep going!

I'll take pre-workout on occasion - on a similar basis as to you're suggesting - if I've had a crap night's sleep, if I'm testing one rep max's, or if I just need a general boost. For those saying it's cheaper to just have a coffee I'd challenge that they're not drinking good enough coffee! I try and avoid pre-workout where possible though, as I think it would be easy to lose the edge it gives you (even if purely placebo) if you took it every time.

Sounds like you're doing amazing things mate - and if you find it helps, keep going!

I'm just plugging away mate. I seem to have found a formula that works for me but I think once I get down to around 17-18 stone it'll slow right down and become a slog as I replace the remaining excess fat with muscle.

1,200-1,800kcal per day depending on what I've done/how busy I've been and gym 2-3 times a week. It's literally eat less move more. Helps I'm relatively young, mind. I can imagine once you pass the mid 20s it'll just be hard as fuck.

I'm just plugging away mate. I seem to have found a formula that works for me but I think once I get down to around 17-18 stone it'll slow right down and become a slog as I replace the remaining excess fat with muscle.

1,200-1,800kcal per day depending on what I've done/how busy I've been and gym 2-3 times a week. It's literally eat less move more. Helps I'm relatively young, mind. I can imagine once you pass the mid 20s it'll just be hard as fuck.

I’ve lost 3 stone this year and I’m 33 mate, still doable, just bits of me creak a bit more now :p

I’ve lost 3 stone this year and I’m 33 mate, still doable, just bits of me creak a bit more now :p
I am nearly 47 and I reduced body fat down to under 10%, albeit from about 12st, now at 10st. I think that it’s possible at any age if you can be physically active. Note that I still recommend fixing the dietary aspect as a priority. But fast walking would be best for most people rather than spending 3 hours on an exercise bike or keeling over on a 10k course.

A week in and I had shifted 4lb up to Friday but I was at the races yesterday so a bit might have found its way back. 4 boot camp sessions last week and my muscles are still sore 2days later. Im pushing myself as hard as I can in the sessions, at times I feel sick. This really has shown me how unfit I've become in recent years, as well as how much strength I've lost.
Another 4 sessions booked for next week and is love to see another 4lb off.

I could have wrote this post a while ago. At my heaviest I was 13st 7 and never really considered myself to be 'fat' but looking at pictures now I was

It's took nearly two years but I'm 10st 7 now and feel massively different

Definitely hasn't been easy and there have been blips but by using myfitnesspal and doing firstly couch to 5k then carrying on running roughly 3 times a week has led to my weight loss

Still have a bit of stubborn fat round my middle which I can't seem to shift but much happier and feel a million times better in myself

Back