Weight loss 2018

Hoping to weigh myself tomorrow and see 14st 12lbs. I'll be the lightest I've been for over 3 years. 14st 10lbs is my target so if I can hit that by next weekend / end of the month I'll be pretty happy. Back at the gym for the first time in 9 months too so can finally start getting things back together. The plan now is to stay at 14st 10lbs and slowly but surely get rid of fat whilst building muscle, nothing crazy just a nice steady pace for a change.

Hoping to weigh myself tomorrow and see 14st 12lbs. I'll be the lightest I've been for over 3 years. 14st 10lbs is my target so if I can hit that by next weekend / end of the month I'll be pretty happy. Back at the gym for the first time in 9 months too so can finally start getting things back together. The plan now is to stay at 14st 10lbs and slowly but surely get rid of fat whilst building muscle, nothing crazy just a nice steady pace for a change.
Fingers crossed for you marra!

I'm trying to lose fat now rather than weight, training a lot since getting back form holiday and drinking for 18 (!) days in a row. Feel way better already, but have a good 5lb of just fat to lose. Eating 1600kcal a day, full training sessions and only eating in a 6 hour window (fasting for 18). Seems to be going ok as lost 5lbs since getting back, but not sure how much is just water weight and how much is actual fat. Sticking with it for the next month and staying off the drink too.

I got to 14-9 this week na na na na:lol::lol: and started at the gym, just cardio and a couple of resistance exercises for me though. Easy does for me, I have lost two stones so far. I bought an old SAFC sweater on e bay with the old ship badge on and am determined to get into it.:lol:

Fingers crossed for you marra!

I'm trying to lose fat now rather than weight, training a lot since getting back form holiday and drinking for 18 (!) days in a row. Feel way better already, but have a good 5lb of just fat to lose. Eating 1600kcal a day, full training sessions and only eating in a 6 hour window (fasting for 18). Seems to be going ok as lost 5lbs since getting back, but not sure how much is just water weight and how much is actual fat. Sticking with it for the next month and staying off the drink too.

Sounds good mate. What do you think of the fasting crack like, is it any good? Stay well away from the drink, I have a few beers once every 4-6 weeks and to be honest this has been the key to me being able to lose 3 stone this year, it is literally the only thing I have changed.

I got to 14-9 this week na na na na:lol::lol: and started at the gym, just cardio and a couple of resistance exercises for me though. Easy does for me, I have lost two stones so far. I bought an old SAFC sweater on e bay with the old ship badge on and am determined to get into it.:lol:

Well done marra :cool: How tall are you? Keep it up and get in that shirt!

Weighed myself this morning and I weigh 14 st 13lbs on the dot which I'm happy with. 10 Days to lose 2-3 lbs which is easily achievable. Gonna find it strange after I hit my target though as I am used to eating 2000 calories a day now so will have to find ways to up that without eating unhealthily if I want to maintain my weight and grow muscle.

Last edited:
Sounds good mate. What do you think of the fasting crack like, is it any good? Stay well away from the drink, I have a few beers once every 4-6 weeks and to be honest this has been the key to me being able to lose 3 stone this year, it is literally the only thing I have changed.

Weighed myself this morning and I weigh 14 st 13lbs on the dot which I'm happy with. 10 Days to lose 2-3 lbs which is easily achievable. Gonna find it strange after I hit my target though as I am used to eating 2000 calories a day now so will have to find ways to up that without eating unhealthily if I want to maintain my weight and grow muscle.
I am only 5-5 so i am still medicaly obese (what a awful word) I have tried all the diets only to put the weight back on with a vengeance, so as I said, easy does for me I just follow the NHS Wellness plan which is sensible eating and exercise.

I am only 5-5 so i am still medicaly obese (what a awful word) I have tried all the diets only to put the weight back on with a vengeance, so as I said, easy does for me I just follow the NHS Wellness plan which is sensible eating and exercise.

The diets don't work in the long term for most people. It is all about introducing healthy eating and exercise into your lifestyle :)

I really like it mate, it's really worked for me in shifting stubborn weight pretty quickly. I'm down at 10st 8 right now and although I'm training a lot the fasting really helps. To be honest, all the additional benefits also make it make sense too. I fast for 16-17 hours a day and only eat in a 7-8 hour window. It's easier to manage calories too and you sharp get used to feeling of hunger and it subsides when drinking water. Would definitely recommend giving it a go, even trying it for 2-3 days a week.

Just signed up for The 1,000,000 Step Challenge with Diabetes UK. It runs (or walks in my case) from July the 1st till September 30th. I registered yesterday which leaves me a lot of catching up. With my little legs I reckon 6 miles a day and I should reach the target and shed another stone. Lose weight and raise money for charity, not a bad thing at all.

It is not magic, it is just a tactic that works better for some people. Eating nowt during the day and then their cals on a night for instance works better for some. At the end of the day, eating less calories than you burn (caloric deficit) is key, fasting makes little difference other than being a tactic to stick to cals :)

Never posted in this part of he forum before. Me and the mrs have had a change of lifestyle.

9 weeks ago she wanted to start the couch to 5k. Weve had 2 kids and it was easy being lazy and eating whatever we wanted. Both put weight on.

Shes on the last week now and is running 5k 3 times a week which is amazing for someone who has never ran. Shes lost 2 stone in that time.

I decided i would do my own thing, something similar as support. Ive never been good at running long distance. Started off doing 3 mile with a 11 minute per mile pace. Really dragging meself around.

Im now running 5 miles twice a week and managed to get me pace down to 9 mins a mile. Hate it when doing it but feel class after a run. Needing some new trainers as bottoms of feet kill the next day. Ive managed to go from 80kg down to 74kg.

Just wanted to share our story. Good reading other peoples and how they have done it

How accurate are heart rate monitors for measuring how many calories you burn?
In the past I've worn my Garmin one when running and it seems to be fairly accurate when I also measure my intake and lose weight.
Can't run at the minute so going to they gym instead and am wearing a Polar chest strap linked to Endomnodo on my phone. I suspect that it is recording a higher burn rate than it should.
I'd always thought that I burnt more running than going to the gym but I seem to be burning 50% more using cardio machines at the gym. I also don't seem to be losing weight which would back up my theory.

Not posted for a few months but managed to shift a bit weight. Started at over 19 stone at the beginning of the year. Currently weigh 16 stone 5 pound. Tried a few different diets including 'clean' eating and slimming world but the only one I've found that works 100% of the time is low calorie. Lost over a stone in the last month.

Also doing quite well with my training for the great North run which has helped alot. Up to 9 miles which I'm happy with for this year's run.

Still a long way to go but getting there and I genuinely feel 1000 times better.

I lost just under 10 pounds from the start of the year to the summer - and then put 11 back on whilst on holiday. Been travelling with work and had sciatica for about the last 6 weeks but now back with a bit of focus. My daughter has gone vegetarian so I have cut down a lot on meat and have started cycling to work. Going to have a go at skiing this winter so want to shift just over a stone for the sake of the knees.
Now 6 lbs below start of year - 3 lbs to go to get to lowest for this year. Hopefully by end of next week.

My first time posting on here been lurking for a while... I stopped smoking around 2 years ago after over 25 years of a very bad habit , and piled the weight on gradually without really realising , finally bought a set of scales at the beginning on June and was shocked when they said 16 st 2 lbs :eek: , fast forward 3 months and I'm at 13 st 3 lbs and closing in on 3 st lost , it's been hard but finally feeling a lot healthier now and have the nice problem of needing a new wardrobe :lol:
going on holiday at the end of October for 2 weeks and derminded to be around 12.5 st on the 28th Oct and not put much on while on hols

My first time posting on here been lurking for a while... I stopped smoking around 2 years ago after over 25 years of a very bad habit , and piled the weight on gradually without really realising , finally bought a set of scales at the beginning on June and was shocked when they said 16 st 2 lbs :eek: , fast forward 3 months and I'm at 13 st 3 lbs and closing in on 3 st lost , it's been hard but finally feeling a lot healthier now and have the nice problem of needing a new wardrobe :lol:
going on holiday at the end of October for 2 weeks and derminded to be around 12.5 st on the 28th Oct and not put much on while on hols
Bloody well done!

Started properly counting calories on July 23rd this year, and am down to 11.2lb in 9 weeks so far. Occasionally feels like I’m going too slow, but when it starts adding up it feels good. And I’m not starving myself either, making sure if I want a treat that I burn extra calories on the Fitbit to maintain my 1000 cal deficit. Also just realised if I keep up that rate of loss I’ll be at my target weight by xmas!

Also starting week 4 of a couch to 5k this week, and am loving it (Zombies Run). Plan to do a parkrun by the year end.

Started properly counting calories on July 23rd this year, and am down to 11.2lb in 9 weeks so far. Occasionally feels like I’m going too slow, but when it starts adding up it feels good. And I’m not starving myself either, making sure if I want a treat that I burn extra calories on the Fitbit to maintain my 1000 cal deficit. Also just realised if I keep up that rate of loss I’ll be at my target weight by xmas!

Also starting week 4 of a couch to 5k this week, and am loving it (Zombies Run). Plan to do a parkrun by the year end.

Well done on the weight loss but you should try and do the parkrun asap imo. Plenty people just walk it and you can get used to the route and distance as well as starting your Saturday on the right foot. They are a great thing imo.

Well done on the weight loss but you should try and do the parkrun asap imo. Plenty people just walk it and you can get used to the route and distance as well as starting your Saturday on the right foot. They are a great thing imo.
A few people have said that. But our PR is quite hilly and I’d much rather run it when I’m ready. I could walk it right now but that doesn’t feel like an achievement. I do my training in the same park so I’m getting used to running up the big hill in short bits.

Back