Weight loss 2018

you lose weight by eating less. (obviously exercise helps but the human body is incredibly efficient - it can happily run 5km on a bag of crisps and can of coke, so you need to start with diet.

go to myfitnesspal.com, sign up, fill in your stuff set it to lose 1 lb per week. download the app for your phone log everything, i mean when you eat packaged food scan its barcode, when you eat "homemade" food scan and weigh it. Seems a hardship but you very quickly get used to it and can quickly tick things off. especially log days when you fail - ie big drinking days because its important to know. that website by now must have saved lives.

fitness wise couch to 5k is a good place to start as are a few "beachbody" courses if you prefer to do some jumping around in the house or garage

edit -

some people will disagree but I got a fitbit aria scale and weigh in EVERY morning. I find it a good motivational tool as weekly weigh ins sort of let you realx a couple of days after then "diet" the couple of days before, and I hate "dietting" I prefer to just "eat better" throughout. Plus it lets you produce nice graphs like:
Logon or register to see this image

(bet you can all see the date i got engaged with the previously mentioned booze and cake week after)

Thanks for that mate. I've got an apple watch so could probably do with seeing what functionality that has similar to a fitbit. Plenty for me to get stuck into there, appreciate your swift response!

Thanks for that mate. I've got an apple watch so could probably do with seeing what functionality that has similar to a fitbit. Plenty for me to get stuck into there, appreciate your swift response!

the fitbit aria is just a bathroom scale that connects to the wireless and updates myfitnesspal automatically. because i literally find it too much of a hardship to manually enter it in my mobile.

Hello everyone
Browsed the fitness forum occasionally and you seem to know your onions, so I hope you don’t mind me asking you for some advice. I’m currently 87KG and 6 foot 2. Also 30 years old (not sure if that’s important or not!)
What advice would you give for losing a stone in weight. I’m at the high end of my BMI group so would like to get back to around 12 and a half stone.
I’m a heavy drinker on the weekend and the only exercise I get is around 1 hour a day of walking, next to nothing of any sort of high intensity. I try to watch what I eat through the week but on a weekend it’s the usual pizza/Chinese after a skinful of pints.
Got a newborn bairn so joining a gym is out of the question for now.
Appreciate this is a lot of info, anything that you can tell me to help steer me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful for

Cheers

Daz
Eat less move more. It really is that simple.

I have cut out unhealthy snacks, crisps cakes etc, and only eat 3 meals a day. With the odd healthy snack during the day. I do have a treat night with a takeaway with the family. And the odd indulgent meal, but it's the exception.

I also have a newborn and an older child. Finding 40 mins 2 x a week did seem hard at first, but if you can sit on your arse and watch telly you can be out running.

Drink is out the window during the week, and substantially cut on a weekend.

It's hard but the only way it happens.

I have cut out unhealthy snacks, crisps cakes etc, and only eat 3 meals a day. With the odd healthy snack during the day. I do have a treat night with a takeaway with the family. And the odd indulgent meal, but it's the exception.

I also have a newborn and an older child. Finding 40 mins 2 x a week did seem hard at first, but if you can sit on your arse and watch telly you can be out running.

Cheers for the advice.

Re the drink, I've never been a drinker through the week so that's not an issue for me. I wouldn't want to cut it back on the weekend though, it's one of my main sources of joy!

Cheers for the advice.

Re the drink, I've never been a drinker through the week so that's not an issue for me. I wouldn't want to cut it back on the weekend though, it's one of my main sources of joy!
It's also a canny source of calories. About 200 a pint. Which sharp adds up.

It's hard sometimes to make a change.

I have still not lost anything, putting me 3kg above my normal weight and 6kg above my target rate. I have cut right down on fatty and sugary foods, which has probably kept my weight stable and I don't really drink these day. I had a bad toe break at Christmas, which kept me out of exercise until a few weeks ago. I started building up fitness again, cycled to work a few times then on my second 5-a-side game, someone needlessly went into me with elbows out and broke a rib. Now it just hurts to do anything.

After Easter, I'm going to have to work f**** hard!

Week 8 weigh in for me today. Started at 205lbs. Weighed today at 187lbs. I feel like it's starting to slow down which is to be expected. I'm starting to get people noticing the weight loss now though which is a great confidence boost. Got 5 weeks until my holiday, hoping to be down another half a stone before then. Feel happier, and healthier. Wish my bloody love handles would fuck off though. Anybody know how to get rid of them in 5 weeks?

Week 8 weigh in for me today. Started at 205lbs. Weighed today at 187lbs. I feel like it's starting to slow down which is to be expected. I'm starting to get people noticing the weight loss now though which is a great confidence boost. Got 5 weeks until my holiday, hoping to be down another half a stone before then. Feel happier, and healthier. Wish my bloody love handles would fuck off though. Anybody know how to get rid of them in 5 weeks?

Well done mate keep it going

Starting my diet and cutbacks tomorrow. Been out of breath and have a horrendous cough. I'm seeing the doctor and been referred to respitory clinic. In the meantime though I'm looking to lose a stone.

Haven't been to the gym for two weeks so will start that tomorrow too. I'm gonna stop drinking for a month after the Easter weekend.

I'm quite looking forward to the diet and that but hope I can stick to it. I've never been this heavy or unfit before.

How do you go running with a newborn?!?

How do you go running with a newborn?!?

I Don't literally go running with her!!!

I just have to find time whenever i can, most of the time I want to crawl into a ball and sleep, but I'm sure it helps with my energy levels and certainly my moods. But that i also put down to a better diet.

Had a crap few days wanting to binge eat this week for one reason or another. But managed to restrict myself to 2 cut price almond croissants as a compromise.

I Don't literally go running with her!!!

I just have to find time whenever i can, most of the time I want to crawl into a ball and sleep, but I'm sure it helps with my energy levels and certainly my moods. But that i also put down to a better diet.

Had a crap few days wanting to binge eat this week for one reason or another. But managed to restrict myself to 2 cut price almond croissants as a compromise.
Yeah I know :) I suppose what I was getting at was that your wife looks after the kids while you go running.

I went for my first run last weekend, but as I'm dependent on Mr B babysitting, and he's working full time, I don't think I'll get much time to do it regularly, sadly.

Yeah I know :) I suppose what I was getting at was that your wife looks after the kids while you go running.

I went for my first run last weekend, but as I'm dependent on Mr B babysitting, and he's working full time, I don't think I'll get much time to do it regularly, sadly.

It's all about finding a routine (with twins that may be hard) but what about early morning or early evening when the little rotters, I mean darlings are fast asleep?

You may feel like you are putting on Mr B but remember that it's a full time job for you too. And you both need time for social activities, even if it is just 30-40 mins for a jog around the block, or tea with your friends.

It's all about finding a routine (with twins that may be hard) but what about early morning or early evening when the little rotters, I mean darlings are fast asleep?

You may feel like you are putting on Mr B but remember that it's a full time job for you too. And you both need time for social activities, even if it is just 30-40 mins for a jog around the block, or tea with your friends.
You're assuming they both sleep at the same time ;)

Early morning is when I sleep (Mr B takes and feeds them after I've done the night shift). Early evening he's still at work generally.

Maybe I'll get more time when they're older. My shin splints have come back anyway so I think I'll resort to walking lots during the day rather than running.

Cut out the Devil's Food.

Eat some fruit, salad and Veg five days a week.

Brown bread

Baked Spuds

Ale- u can get away with being naughty once a week at home.

We are in Vietnam right now- have had a good drink like but I just ain't interested in the shit food types. Eaten Chicken and Fish the whole time and have felt great.

I only ever drink once a week back home anyway, so ale ain't an issue.

Aim to lose 42 lbs over the course of this year.

I am an old knacker like.

Week 9 weigh in was last Tuesday. Dropped another 2lbs to make it 20lbs lost. When I weighed on Tuesday, I was 185lbs, with a starting weight of 205lbs.

Got 3 and half weeks until my holiday, next weigh in is week 10 in a few days. Hoping to get as close to 2 stone off before I fly. I don't think I'll be far away. If I do, it'll be 2 stone lost in 3 months which I'll be delighted with. I've still not done any exercise whatsoever like, just eating under 1500 calories a day. Might start doing press ups and sits ups on a morning and evening each day until I fly, see if it makes a difference.

Ouch. Just weighed myself. 19st 12lb :confused:

I was around about that weight six months ago, but then unsurprisingly a load of weight came off when I was in the infirmary. When I finally went home a month or so afterwards I was down to 18st 2lb.

So in roughly 20 weeks I've put on 24 pounds. :eek: 1lb 4ozs a week. 3 ounces a day.

When I put it like that, the 3 ounces a day doesn't sound so difficult to lose. It's simple really. I eat a little too much at the moment and exercise slightly too little.

I do have a large body frame. Family and friends never believe I'm such a big weight. I fit into XXXL shirts comfortably and 40 inch waist jeans. Still, though, even when I was down to just above 18 stone, that's way above what I ought to be. I'll never get back to my 12st trim in my 20's (I was half a stone lighter than Marco!) but getting 5 or 6 stones of flab off me in the next year ought to be achievable. I'm almost 50. I'd like to get to 51 how I was when I was 31.

My dietary habits are changing now anyway. My laddo has turned Vegan, primarily because his girlfriend is, so that secures him better conjugal rights. Which more or less makes me Vegan when he's around. Another thing to throw in is that my last blood test (a week ago) showed I had a B12 deficiency, so again another alteration to dietary habits are needed. A few more raisins, breakfast cereals, and spinach at least.

Exercise-wise, I have a rowing machine at home and live two minutes from the seafront. The environment is already there for me to do more without having to join the gym.

All down to me now. I put myself into this mess of humanity and only I can get myself out of it. Let's see how this goes

Last edited:
Ouch. Just weighed myself. 19st 12lb :confused:

I was around about that weight six months ago, but then unsurprisingly a load of weight came off when I was in the infirmary. When I finally went home a month or so afterwards I was down to 18st 2lb.

So in roughly 20 weeks I've put on 24 pounds. :eek: 1lb 4ozs a week. 3 ounces a day.

When I put it like that, the 3 ounces a day doesn't sound so difficult to lose. It's simple really. I eat a little too much at the moment and exercise slightly too little.

I do have a large body frame. Family and friends never believe I'm such a big weight. I fit into XXXL shirts comfortably and 40 inch waist jeans. Still, though, even when I was down to just above 18 stone, that's way above what I ought to be. I'll never get back to my 12st trim in my 20's (I was half a stone lighter than Marco!) but getting 5 or 6 stones of flab off me in the next year ought to be achievable. I'm almost 50. I'd like to get to 51 how I was when I was 31.

My dietary habits are changing now anyway. My laddo has turned Vegan, primarily because his girlfriend is, so that secures him better conjugal rights. Which more or less makes me Vegan when he's around. Another thing to throw in is that my last blood test (a week ago) showed I had a B12 deficiency, so again another alteration to dietary habits are needed. A few more raisins, breakfast cereals, and spinach at least.

Exercise-wise, I have a rowing machine at home and live two minutes from the seafront. The environment is already there for me to do more without having to join the gym.

All down to me now. I put myself into this mess of humanity and only I can get myself out of it. Let's see how this goes

Good luck Marra! Stick to it and the weight will drop off. 6 stone you want off, so 84lbs. Try not to see it as losing 84lbs, but losing 1lb 84 times...may make it seem more manageable.

Back