'Wearside Jack' dead...

They came for me at work but I was out. My employer was not happy about as they were a very high profile business in Leeds. I had to go to Millgarth Police Station and I was in there for 3 f****** hours. Writing sentences, Giving an account of where I was at any particular time and I had a beard then. They went to a friend's house and checked my story. He said to me he had never had the police at his house. I felt pathetic about it. So this bloke is no great loss as far as I am concerned. A pathetic person who nearly cost me my job. When they let me out I went home and shaved the beard off.

So he wasn't all bad.

Thinking Wesrside jack was the ripper was one of few errors made by the cops at the time, didn't they trace a fiver that had been paid to Sutcliffe by his firm and found on one of the women he killed? ...and they interviewed him more than once....old fashioned police detective work in those days was laborious

Thinking Wesrside jack was the ripper was one of few errors made by the cops at the time, didn't they trace a fiver that had been paid to Sutcliffe by his firm and found on one of the women he killed? ...and they interviewed him more than once....old fashioned police detective work in those days was laborious

Few errors
Despite interviewing & releasing sutcliffe 9 times plus all the victims who survived
The attacks told the polis their attacker had Yorkshire accent not a mackem one

I have seen an interview with a copper who was a lowly PC in the investigation. He and his mate interviewed Sutcliffe and went back and told one of Oldfield's deputies that Sutcliffe was the Ripper. They got a bollicking and were told to concentrate on the tapes.

I have seen an interview with a copper who was a lowly PC in the investigation. He and his mate interviewed Sutcliffe and went back and told one of Oldfield's deputies that Sutcliffe was the Ripper. They got a bollicking and were told to concentrate on the tapes.
Why doesn't that surprise me

I’m surprised at his age. I would have assumed he was a lot older.
I remember the police portacabins on the estates pulling people in but he’s only about 7 years older than me but we were far too young to be questioned.

in fairness the pressure Oldfield and co must have been under will have been horrendous. Press at them constantly, bra burners holding reclaim the night marches etc not surprised they latched on to the tapes as a legitimate lead

While it was going on , I was out with my old man and is mate , in the thistle club , a cop my old man's mate turned up and started to quiz me , when he found out I had never been to Leeds, he backed off mind you he's was quiet piss when he left us and drove off.

I watched a documentary about either him or the actual Yorkshire ripper case where Humble did make another call to the cops very shortly after his first calls or letters to say he’d been lying. The cop on the other end couldn’t understand him so didn’t take any details. Presumably it was never passed on for follow up inquiries to be made.
Correct
Did humble not attempt suicide by jumping off the wear bridge afterwards
As much as a scum bag he was, he clearly felt guilt and he clearly wasn’t solely responsible for the other killings - oldfield was convinced he was the YR and refused for too long to keep an open mind despite many people telling him otherwise

Peter Sutcliffe must have a great PR agent, given the number of others who get the blame for him hitting people on the head with a hammer. If the Mirror is to be believed, he had the brass neck to accuse Humble of having blood on his hands!

Sutcliffe went undetected because serial killers are very hard to detect, even now. In the 70s, only a few US police forces had any capability to investigate serial murder and they weren't very good at it.

Back