'Wearside Jack' dead...

Sunderlands not that big a place,i had moved away but I remember some linguistic expert narrowed the voice on the tape down to Castletown,i used to live across the river in south hylton,not that big a place.
Sunderland is quite a big place like . It’s all relative but it isn’t small

Cops turned up at my work place and interviewed me regarding this...someone,I don’t know who,thought my voice sounded familiar to that of Wearside Jack...I had to hand write,three times,a sentence that they gave me....and off they went...never heard from them again

I never understood the police taking the tapes seriously. If you know anything about the original jack the ripper you would realise that the tapes contents were mainly a rehashing of the dear boss and other letters sent in the original case.

Cops turned up at my work place and interviewed me regarding this...someone,I don’t know who,thought my voice sounded familiar to that of Wearside Jack...I had to hand write,three times,a sentence that they gave me....and off they went...never heard from them again

They came for me at work but I was out. My employer was not happy about as they were a very high profile business in Leeds. I had to go to Millgarth Police Station and I was in there for 3 f****** hours. Writing sentences, Giving an account of where I was at any particular time and I had a beard then. They went to a friend's house and checked my story. He said to me he had never had the police at his house. I felt pathetic about it. So this bloke is no great loss as far as I am concerned. A pathetic person who nearly cost me my job. When they let me out I went home and shaved the beard off.

I heard someone who had some sort of connection with him, I can't remember exactly how. He said he was obsessed with the Whitechapel ripper, read lots of library books on him, not surprising.

Do journalists not even proof read articles anymore?

Tapea instead of the word tapes.

Bloke should have been given a life sentence and seen put his miserable days in a prison cell tbh
Seems to repeat large sections at the bottom as well? Amateur stuff.

They came for me at work but I was out. My employer was not happy about as they were a very high profile business in Leeds. I had to go to Millgarth Police Station and I was in there for 3 f****** hours. Writing sentences, Giving an account of where I was at any particular time and I had a beard then. They went to a friend's house and checked my story. He said to me he had never had the police at his house. I felt pathetic about it. So this bloke is no great loss as far as I am concerned. A pathetic person who nearly cost me my job. When they let me out I went home and shaved the beard off.

Well, I bet that didn't look at all suspicious

Sounds like a wrong 'un.

Its thanks to him that the yorkshire ripper avoided justice for as long as he did, no one is going to miss this man, and i hope he's somewhere very hot right now which looks like the inside of a volcano when its just about to explode with red hot lava.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understood the police taking the tapes seriously. If you know anything about the original jack the ripper you would realise that the tapes contents were mainly a rehashing of the dear boss and other letters sent in the original case.
There is a very good book - Wicked Beyond Belief - written about the YR. As you would expect there is a section all about the letters and tapes. It was suggested quite strongly to Oldfield by a DI from Sunderland that the letters and tapes were not a credible line of inquiry and that he should concentrate his resources closer to home. Oldfield didn’t want to hear a bar of it. The ‘results’ speak for themselves.

Back