Wear crossing

The bridge design is OK, but why the ugly, utilitarian looking lighting?
I'm sure they could do something more aesthetically pleasing than standard road lights. It's like they're skimping on one of the cheapest parts where there was an opportunity to show off a bit.

That's exciting stuff! It looks like they're introducing 150mph speed limits, happy days! I'll be able to blow the cobwebs out of my Golf GTi.

The bridge design is OK, but why the ugly, utilitarian massive sheds on either side of the river? The Wear should be reclaimed for the peeps!

That photo on there of the near completed bridge at night looks amazing, it gives the vibe of structure you would see in a major city, I don't think I've ever felt that feeling about Sunderland the city from a single photo before.

Thus, for the first time, this is Bridge is really something which shatters that small time "town" atmosphere of Sunderland. It makes us feel we are something bigger, more significant, what a fantastic job it is!

He gets it, have a like sir.

Once again people just dying to put down Sunderland as a place on this thread :rolleyes: the city can't move forwards if people are not prepared to challenge the negative attitudes.

and again....its the people thats wrong with this city, its starting to make some real progress and they are quick to shoot down anything that is happening.

and again....its the people thats wrong with this city, its starting to make some real progress and they are quick to shoot down anything that is happening.

I know the past has been hard and has had a lot of injustices, but yeah I agree, there is a constant culture of negativity, cynicism and defeatism around Sunderland.

If people think "it's only a bridge" they don't get it, iconic bridges are powerful symbols of places which get them recognized, bringing investment, jobs and people as a knock on affect.

I know the past has been hard and has had a lot of injustices, but yeah I agree, there is a constant culture of negativity, cynicism and defeatism around Sunderland.

If people think "it's only a bridge" they don't get it, iconic bridges are powerful symbols of places which get them recognized, bringing investment, jobs and people as a knock on affect.
Tbf they scrapped the iconic one, this is the normal bridge.

That is absolute rubbish, no business ever moves to a place because of a bridge. Business's look for things like quality of work force, technology infrastructure, disaster recovery options, tax brakes, access issues but never a bridge. Is Stockton the new silicon valley since the building of the "iconic" infinity bridge?

That is absolute rubbish, no business ever moves to a place because of a bridge. Business's look for things like quality of work force, technology infrastructure, disaster recovery options, tax brakes, access issues but never a bridge. Is Stockton the new silicon valley since the building of the "iconic" infinity bridge?

But what are those factors that you listed influenced so greatly by? Psychology. Whilst it is correct that businesses look at all of these factors, what you've also got to remember is that the psychology and image of a place, is also important. Impressions matter. Businesses are attracted by positivity and repelled by negativity

The new bridge raises the profile of this area and as I stated, challenges negative misconceptions of it. Yes it's not the only factor, I believe it is good for business. Just like the Millenium bridge has been good for business on the Newcastle Quayside! (would you deny that?). Sunderland Council are not taking out of their arse when they tell us the benefits of it.

Tbf they scrapped the iconic one, this is the normal bridge.

It's a downgrade from the original "iconic" design, but the basic non-iconic plan was a simple road bridge with no cable structure.

But what are those factors that you listed influenced so greatly by? Psychology. Whilst it is correct that businesses look at all of these factors, what you've also got to remember is that the psychology and image of a place, is also important. Impressions matter. Businesses are attracted by positivity and repelled by negativity

The new bridge raises the profile of this area and as I stated, challenges negative misconceptions of it. Yes it's not the only factor, I believe it is good for business. Just like the Millenium bridge has been good for business on the Newcastle Quayside! (would you deny that?). Sunderland Council are not taking out of their arse when they tell us the benefits of it.

It's a downgrade from the original "iconic" design, but the basic non-iconic plan was a simple road bridge with no cable structure.

Its better. The original design was shit, both aesthetically and from a pure engineering perspective.

Was driving along Wessington way yesterday and the bridge looks superb

But it does not, that's the point, nobody on here could name the previous "Iconic" road bridge built in another provincial town/city. As a city its may bring some small bit of internal positivity because recently as a city we have had very little to shout about, but on the outside nobody cares, especially businesses.

Its better. The original design was shit, both aesthetically and from a pure engineering perspective.

Was driving along Wessington way yesterday and the bridge looks superb

Agree. Now the cables are on it looks really good and will be useful in reducing the bottleneck the is the Queen Alex Bridge as 2 lanes become 1....even better when the dual carriageway on the South side gets built

But it does not, that's the point, nobody on here could name the previous "Iconic" road bridge built in another provincial town/city. As a city its may bring some small bit of internal positivity because recently as a city we have had very little to shout about, but on the outside nobody cares, especially businesses.

It fundamentally changes how the city is marketed and presented to the wider world, it's not about "headline grabbing" it's about when you sit down with those you want to invest and you sell your case (and we've had a lot of investment lately, so don't pretend that doesn't happen).

I repeat, did the millenium footbridge in Newcastle have no impact on securing investment to the Quayside whatsoever?

It fundamentally changes how the city is marketed and presented to the wider world, it's not about "headline grabbing" it's about when you sit down with those you want to invest and you sell your case (and we've had a lot of investment lately, so don't pretend that doesn't happen).

I repeat, did the millenium footbridge in Newcastle have no impact on securing investment to the Quayside whatsoever?
Its hard to say if the millennium footbridge helped with investment, as a large metropolitan city the investment was probably always going to come, maybe the bridge just gave it a focal point. My argument is if you were a really successful Sunderland based business and you wanted to expand into the Midlands and you had a choice of Derby, Leicester or Stoke you would not make your decision on a bridge, or would you look at quality of work force, technology infrastructure, disaster recovery options, tax brakes, access issues etc.

Back