Wear crossing

It is needed.

It's opened up a large plot of land for development.

Plus it is an amazing landmark
There already was a road down the north side and the south side of the river, so how did the new bridge open up an area that could already be accessed by road?

It's a nice enough bridge, though the original fishtail pylon would have looked far, far better!

There already was a road down the north side and the south side of the river, so how did the new bridge open up an area that could already be accessed by road?

It's a nice enough bridge, though the original fishtail pylon would have looked far, far better!
Haway man. You want people to drive down towards the Queen Alex, across and back up to get to that land rather than straight across? Or did you want them to drive down Chester road and through Pallion or Pennywell?

Haway man. You want people to drive down towards the Queen Alex, across and back up to get to that land rather than straight across? Or did you want them to drive down Chester road and through Pallion or Pennywell?

They should just build stuff in Newcastle Boz. Wasted in Sunderland as these threads prove, cos half the people there have given up on life.

Yes and No.

What I'm saying is that for a new industrial/ enterprise park south of the river then, in the short term, employees from that side could already access that area with only a few junction/road enhancements needed to improve access from the Queen Alex and with Phase 3 providing the road link to the new employment area.

Most access would be via A19 and Wessington Way, where conversion of roundabouts to traffic light controlled junctions would still be needed with improvement of the Queen Alex road junction.

This would have been the initial phase and would have enabled the industrial park venture to begin earlier.

I would then have built a new bridge from across from the improved Queen Alex junction - almost alongside the existing bridge, which then leaves the lower deck of the Queen Alex bridge free to be converted to bus & cycle lanes, thus providing enhancement of public transport between northern and southern conurbations and also for the new industrial park.

The reduced load weight of constant road traffic on the bridge could then allow for the upper deck to be brought into use possibly as a tourist attraction (maybe simply as a view point) or a ship building memorial urban park.

In the long term the lower deck should be tagged for Metro use with digging of an underground east-west metro line along the north bank.

Now that is a plan with long term ambition for the city, rather than just building a bridge to an industrial park. The new Metro line, with possibility of linking across to St Peter's and Roker) could really transform prospects for the north bank communities.

Been Ower for first time today. Didn't need to like, could have just went ower the Alex.
Good bridge. Enjoyable.

The lay out ower the south side is not what I pictured like, I thought it'd be straight down past matalan but you swing left then around.

Yes and No.

What I'm saying is that for a new industrial/ enterprise park south of the river then, in the short term, employees from that side could already access that area with only a few junction/road enhancements needed to improve access from the Queen Alex and with Phase 3 providing the road link to the new employment area.

Most access would be via A19 and Wessington Way, where conversion of roundabouts to traffic light controlled junctions would still be needed with improvement of the Queen Alex road junction.

This would have been the initial phase and would have enabled the industrial park venture to begin earlier.

I would then have built a new bridge from across from the improved Queen Alex junction - almost alongside the existing bridge, which then leaves the lower deck of the Queen Alex bridge free to be converted to bus & cycle lanes, thus providing enhancement of public transport between northern and southern conurbations and also for the new industrial park.

The reduced load weight of constant road traffic on the bridge could then allow for the upper deck to be brought into use possibly as a tourist attraction (maybe simply as a view point) or a ship building memorial urban park.

In the long term the lower deck should be tagged for Metro use with digging of an underground east-west metro line along the north bank.

Now that is a plan with long term ambition for the city, rather than just building a bridge to an industrial park. The new Metro line, with possibility of linking across to St Peter's and Roker) could really transform prospects for the north bank communities.
Didn’t read that mate but I’m going to side with the experts on this one rather than yourself

Back