Wear crossing

Probably cos he's talking shit

When they start painting the queen alexandra again, im going to assume that they still haven't finished it..

I'm not Steve.

Just saying if I’m in Pallion and I want to get over the river, if they close the new road at matalan, and I need to go right down to trimdon street, I may aswell just use the Alex?
Or am I still missing summit? Haha.

Yep, it's pointless.

When is the planned completion date for this?
2021 mate - Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor Phase 3 (SSTC3) - Sunderland City Council

That bridge is a waste of money - you can't even find it.
Today I was coming up the A19 on the way to the SOL and thought I'd come off at the Pennywell turn-off then go across the new bridge, there wasn't a single sign for it and I ended up missing it and going across the QA bridge. Pointless.
You came off the road that would have taken you over the river to drive a longer route specifically to cross the bridge. I can't think why your journey wasn't signposted.

Last edited:
That bridge is a waste of money - you can't even find it.
Today I was coming up the A19 on the way to the SOL and thought I'd come off at the Pennywell turn-off then go across the new bridge, there wasn't a single sign for it and I ended up missing it and going across the QA bridge. Pointless.

Wasn't it just built to appease Nissan cos they're getting rid of their exporting area of Port of Tyne in Shields and transferring it to the Wear instead??

Wasn't it just built to appease Nissan cos they're getting rid of their exporting area of Port of Tyne in Shields and transferring it to the Wear instead??

No.
The car ferry/ship currently used on the Tyne is too big to get into Sunderland docks.
So why would Nissan use a smaller vessel to do the same job?

Importing parts from abroad into the Sunderland docks and then transporting from the docks by road to the Nissan site is feasible though.

Does Sunderland harbour have enough storage space for exporting cars? Tyne Dock is feckin huge with up to 3-4,000 cars parked.
Also can the Wear accommodate those car transportation ships, some of them are huge.

No.
The car ferry/ship currently used on the Tyne is too big to get into Sunderland docks.
So why would Nissan use a smaller vessel to do the same job?

Importing parts from abroad into the Sunderland docks and then transporting from the docks by road to the Nissan site is feasible though.

That might be it then. Sure I've heard that they insisted on a dual carriageway straight from the Wear docks to their plant if they're going to stop there. Which was the main factor in the bridge being built. And I'd also heard that they're making plans to wind down the work they do at the Port of Tyne. So I just put two and two together... Not the first time I've been as wrong as fuck though... :lol:

Does Sunderland harbour have enough storage space for exporting cars? Tyne Dock is feckin huge with up to 3-4,000 cars parked.
Also can the Wear accommodate those car transportation ships, some of them are huge.

Don't know the area well enough mate. Although there's a fuckload of spare land next to the bridge, not sure whether they could utilise that for the storage.

2021 mate - Sunderland Strategic Transport Corridor Phase 3 (SSTC3) - Sunderland City Council

You came off the road that would have taken you over the river to drive a longer route specifically to cross the bridge. I can't think why your journey wasn't signposted.
I wasn't looking for a sign which said "Bresslaws House ", I was looking for a sign to take me across the river.

They couldn't
Because they're incapable? Or is this about trying to catch up with Newcastle with regards to river crossings.

I wasn't looking for a sign which said "Bresslaws House ", I was looking for a sign to take me across the river.

Because they're incapable? Or is this about trying to catch up with Newcastle with regards to river crossings.
Because the money was granted from central government to build a bridge....couldn't be used for anything else.

Back