we will be in championship north next season, if we are still here??

I do wonder if this is the point where all games will be streamed live. It is the only way they have of making money if there are no crowds.

It will be a difficult act to balance though. A family of four with season tickets will only likely pay for one subscription as they will all watch it around the same telly. People will not pay £20+ to watch a match on the sofa week after week, though match day costs to clubs may be reduced (stewards, police, staff v cameras and streaming hardware, which is cheaper?). Once in the public domain, pirate organisations will re-stream. £4-5 per game and people will go with a reliable original source. £20 and they will not. But, on the other side there is the potential to reach far more fans. I don't go to many games because I live at the other end of the country and can't spend a couple of hundred quid every other weekend and lose most of the weekend for 90 minutes of football. I can sit with a couple of beers and watch a stream.

By the time the season comes round this government will give even less of a toss than they do now and people will just be left to get in with it and make their own decisions.

Only thing that will stop it is some kind of massive spike where they literally have no other option than to close things down again

You mean like what is already happening in a city in England!

Football has been heading towards regionalisation again and part time players outside the top 2 divisions for years. It's unsustainable for most of them in the current model. Once the bigger clubs started to open their massive academies sweeping up every kid with even a remote chance of making it their income stream started to dry up. You can count the top players that come from the lower divisions on one hand now. The bigger clubs will throw them to the wall now as they have no use for them any more so they will need to cut their cloth accordingly with reduced wages.

I don't think we're far from our 2nd tier (championship or whatever we call it) being dominated by the B teams or U20's of the big clubs either. I can see a time when you could finish 6th or 7th in the championship and still get promoted as everybody above you won't be elegible for promotion.

We hanker after nostalgia for our football but it just isn't sustainable without the old style businessman/supporter propping up a club with their business profits or the revenue stream from transfers.
It's sad but within a short space of time we'll end up with a European Super League, one top domestic league and regionalised part time leagues below.

Football survived 6 years of WWII because there wasn't as much money in it as there is now. Ironic to think that these days it may not survive just a few months suspension because there is so much money in it and some Clubs have a lot further to fall financially

Yep, a top flight footballer around in World War II was on about the same as the man in the street. Nowadays they earn more in a week than the man in the streeet earns in a year.

It's criminal really

It’s very possible that as one of the elite of the English game we will be promoted to the Championship or PL next season.

My cousin’s step dad is lawyer in London and says that they are expecting around 14 clubs to follow Wigan - many in the top two leagues.

The FA will have the chance to forge a new league, based on passion and history rather than Magedia bias and Sky baubles. With our army of supporters and history of unparalleled class and dignity English football needs us more than we need them
Give me 2 pints of what you are drinking atm

Reality is loads of clubs are going to go bust, espicially non premiership clubs.
Their will be no crowds in grounds, for a few months yet.no crowds = no income
A lot of clubs with no crowds will go into admin.
So if season doesnt start until the new year, then the leagues will be rearranged into regional leagues.
You can hate our owners as much as you like, but if their is no crowds, the game is finished

Football is being played now. Why would the leagues not start until the new year?

What has it got to do with our owners?

If you can queue in Primark , gan to the beach and the kids are back in September fully I can't see it being long before this spineless government just says 'ah fuck it' and let's sport return to normal too.
Just because the government say that does not mean everybody will agree and do it though.

Reality is loads of clubs are going to go bust, espicially non premiership clubs.
Their will be no crowds in grounds, for a few months yet.no crowds = no income
A lot of clubs with no crowds will go into admin.
So if season doesnt start until the new year, then the leagues will be rearranged into regional leagues.
You can hate our owners as much as you like, but if their is no crowds, the game is finished
Why did you bring our owners into this

Schools will still be in ‘bubbles’ and not be back to normal as they were before - bad example. So many unknowns atm
No reason they can't sit people in football grounds using the same techniques as cinemas really. Just wear a face covering when you're not in your seat / safe-bubble

So 48,000 might become 20,000, that's still massively better than nowt.

Not necessarily. You just contract players based on what you can afford. You still have some income from retail, sponsorship, streams and central income. Footballers can either get a proper job, go on the dole or play for £100 a week.

What a spectacle that will be, watching part time players waddle around the pitch for £100 a week.

I'm a teacher. As of September there will be no bubbles. Certainly not in primary schools. It's even harder to enforce a bubble at secondary school, they are either with their form for everything which is impossible with different subject choices or they abandon the idea of social distancing and bubbles.

I’m also a teacher (secondary) and, although the recent update is more flexible than I thought it was going to be, the suggestion is still that they remain in bubbles of sorts. I use the word ‘suggestion’ as like everything else the Gov seems to be washing it hands of ultimate decision making (using the term ‘must’ to mean If you can)
In the context of my original reply though I still think I’m right- you can’t compare school kids with footy crowds.
No reason they can't sit people in football grounds using the same techniques as cinemas really. Just wear a face covering when you're not in your seat / safe-bubble

So 48,000 might become 20,000, that's still massively better than nowt.
There we agree. Like everything else, they’ll make it really ambiguous so people end up acting normally but the Gov will have a get out clause if ‘we told you to be alert’ if it all goes wrong.

Last edited:
It’s very possible that as one of the elite of the English game we will be promoted to the Championship or PL next season.

My cousin’s step dad is lawyer in London and says that they are expecting around 14 clubs to follow Wigan - many in the top two leagues.

The FA will have the chance to forge a new league, based on passion and history rather than Magedia bias and Sky baubles. With our army of supporters and history of unparalleled class and dignity English football needs us more than we need them

Stone me....

A pint and two E's please karen....

tbh i dont think you are too wide of the mark. When the season is finished i think there may well be a rationalisation process.

More straw clutching than Worzel having a wank..

What the fuck is this thread?

Do people just sit at home making up weird and impossible scenarios in their heads? Go outside, live your life. We’re not being promoted this season in any circumstance whatsoever.

Stop making us look like twats.

The arrogance of this post man...

We only deserve a place in a higher league if we earn it over the course of a season. We call the mags for their delusional thinking, this just smacks of pure delusion.

Back