We urgently need a new goalkeeper

While you’re absolutely spot on in saying the defence need to be confident in the keeper behind them, I think it’s too early to condemn Burge and Matthews.

It’s fair to say that both are probably a downgrade on McLaughlin though.
It is too early to condemn them, but not too early to be worried...

I appreciate this is extremely unlikely given the budget constraints and the lack of ambition at board level.

However, Coventry fans warned us over Burge to know that Saturday won't be a one off. And Bolton supporters have consistently warned us about Matthews.

The central defenders, particularly Willis and Wright, looked so nervous on Saturday and that's only going to get worse if we persist with goalkeepers with reputations for recurring mistakes.

I might be accused of over reacting or being too quick off the mark to condemn Matthews particularly as he hasn't had a chance. But if we don't get someone who can instil confidence in the defence, we're 100% going to be spending a 4th season in this joke of a league.
OR maybe give the defence and goalkeeper 5-10 games together and let them form a partnership instead of expecting them all to dovetail perfectly after 1 game

You are absolutely right. Neither goalkeeper is good enough for a promotion chasing team. He (Burge) massively affected confidence of the backline on Saturday and a few times last season. Unfortunately though, there isn't a chance of getting a new keeper, not with the current regime in charge.

While you’re absolutely spot on in saying the defence need to be confident in the keeper behind them, I think it’s too early to condemn Burge and Matthews.

It’s fair to say that both are probably a downgrade on McLaughlin though.
It makes me chuckle how McLaughlin has suddenly become the bastard child of Lev Yashin and Peter Shilton - McLaughlin was absolute garbage for the 1st half of last season and cost us points in quite a few games

It is too early to condemn them, but not too early to be worried...

I think that’s just the general feeling anyway.

The next few games will tell us exactly where we’re at and I’m not particularly confident.
It makes me chuckle how McLaughlin has suddenly become the bastard child of Lev Yashin and Peter Shilton - McLaughlin was absolute garbage for the 1st half of last season and cost us points in quite a few games

I didn’t say that, mind.

OR maybe give the defence and goalkeeper 5-10 games together and let them form a partnership instead of expecting them all to dovetail perfectly after 1 game

Sorry but you do this all of the time. You get hysterical when the majority of the board rightly criticise the dross that we possess. After a few games/weeks, you catch up and have an eruption of criticism yourself and finally realise. You must think people don't notice.

You're possibly missing the context.

It's simple though - McLaughlin , Burge or Matthews - who would you pick ?

You're possibly missing the context.
No, I don;t think I am. The reality is (and this extends to all positions) we are in L1 and in L1 every player has flaws. That's the reason they are in L1 - McLaughlin had flaws, just like Burge and Matthews have flaws. McLaughlin was by no means perfect, Burge is the same. I don't think it's fair to compare the two (or to write Burge off) after 1 game

He wasn't garbage iirc but had just had just been our player of the year and wasn't up to those standards. He had far more good games for us than bad and is a miss.

Burge and Matthews aren’t as good as McLaughlin but it sends the wrong message out if we look to bin the keeper after one error. Even McLaughlin made a few errors last season early on.

Like some have said, give him a run of games till mid October then re-assess.

It's simple though - McLaughlin , Burge or Matthews - who would you pick ?

Neither, I'd rather we tried Patterson (sp?). Not sure if he's gone out on loan or not but we should be trying him ahead of either the two useless twats we have ahead of him.
Better still @Summerbee would be if we stopped continually signing gash players in the first place.

He wasn't garbage iirc but had just had just been our play of the year and wasn't up to those standards. He had far more good games for us than bad and is a miss.
He was garbage mate. Ipswich away - soft goal at near post, Peterborough away - free kick down the centre of the goal, Lincoln away - easy cross into the box, let's the striker nip ahead of him. There will be other examples too. It may well be that he IS far better than Burge but we won't know that for certain until Burge has been afforded the same opportunities as McLaughlin to play behind a settled defence

Burge and Matthews aren’t as good as McLaughlin but it sends the wrong message out if we look to bin the keeper after one error. Even McLaughlin made a few errors last season early on.

Like some have said, give him a run of games till mid October then re-assess.

Agreed. All keepers at this level will make mistakes so hopefully Burge will show the same as he did when called upon last season, when he was decent.

Back