We DON’T want a Director of Football

The truth of it is, we have needed one for a couple of years now, most other clubs have them, and i think its time we moved with the times, and got one as well, and handed over the power to run the majority of footballing matter to this person, and then let head coach, deal with the team week in week out, and the DOF and Chief Scout, get on with the organisation of everything else.

Been reading quite a few articles and people suggesting recently this is a good idea for us because of the mess we are in. I personally don’t think it’s the answer. All they end up doing is treading on the managers toes and signing players the manager doesn’t want which is a recipe for disaster. What we need is to appoint a good manager, which good scouts in place and back him in the transfer market. Forget director of football. And no parkinson isn’t a good manager.

Completely agree with the op.

Director of football isn't needed at our level and is another role we would likely fuck up on the recruitment.

Di Fanti or Congerton anyone? Even that bloke from Ajax we got was no good.

We just need a manager who knows what he's doing, and then build a proper scouting network.

DoF in League One?

Sounds like a good way to throw money away. I cant see anyone with any great knowledge in that role or a big name in the game fancying that task in this league.

DoF in League One?

Sounds like a good way to throw money away. I can't see anyone with any great knowledge in that role or a big name in the game fancying that task in this league.

Southampton's change in fortunes was greatly due to Les Reed DoF in league one.

Steve Walsh had a lot to do with Leicesters revival when doing a similar job.

Neither were big names, both were incredibly important in where both clubs stand today.

Director of football isn't needed at our level and is another role we would likely fuck up on the recruitment.

We just need a manager who knows what he's doing, and then build a proper scouting network.

Bloke from Ajax was Academy director who spent little time here.

Di Fanti, had players like Benjamin Mendy agreeing to come for 3m pounds. Was given 6 months and a terrible remit before being laughed out of the club.

Congerton was forever fighting a losing battle with managers who wanted complete control and no one above mediating the issue.

Last edited:
Southampton's change in fortunes was greatly due to Les Reed DoF in league one.

Steve Walsh had a lot to do with Leicesters revival when doing a similar job.

Neither were big names, both were incredibly important in where both clubs stand today.

As both are in the premer league, and one of them is 2nd top, of that division, i think you kind of just proved the overall point of the debate for a DOF system.

As both are in the premer league, and one of them is 2nd top, of that division, i think you kind of just proved the overall point of the debate for a DOF system.

It's an absolute no brainer IMO but requires a club to have a long term standpoint.

Both clubs and also Dortmund at realised the manner in which they were doing things were absolutely flawed and if they didn't change they would continue to fall. We wasted our light bulb moment on a chap who thought we just needed fresh impetus and a bit of momentum.

Brentford decided to have a go at things but put together a clever strategy as opposed to chucking money away. If they continue in their current vein, I can see them being a premiership club soon.

A strategy is what can change a clubs fortunes, not half arsing it.

Congerton was forever fighting a losing battle with managers who wanted complete control and no one above mediating the issue.

Your point about Southampton and especially Leicester is true, particularly as Steve Walsh knew the club inside out.

But your comment about Congerton tells us all we need to know about why not to appoint a DOF. No one would be capable of mediating issues between a DOF and manager. You would end up with another scenario where the manager asks for one player and gets someone totally different to the player he asked for.

It's still not clear when Will Grigg was Ross's or Donald's choice, there would be a load more cases like that, especially if we signed more duffers.

Your point about Southampton and especially Leicester is true, particularly as Steve Walsh knew the club inside out.

But your comment about Congerton tells us all we need to know about why not to appoint a DOF. No one would be capable of mediating issues between a DOF and manager. You would end up with another scenario where the manager asks for one player and gets someone totally different to the player he asked for.

It's still not clear when Will Grigg was Ross's or Donald's choice, there would be a load more cases like that, especially if we signed more duffers.

That was a half-arsed DoF by a largely stay away Ellis Short, it isn't what the proper position is. It is an example of how not to implement one.

The "managers" should be employed and know the role they are to take on. Even the largest ego in management today knows his place at Tottenham.

Signings are the clubs, coaches are temporary.

Then when the manager that knows what he’s doing leaves and possibly takes some scouts with him?

In this day and age you need one. Managers don't stick around long enough. The important thing is to have a competent DOF in charge first then appoint a manager that knows his remit.
This is the problem. Knowing us, we'd sack our DoF every season too.

It's an absolute no brainer IMO but requires a club to have a long term standpoint.

Both clubs and also Dortmund at realised the manner in which they were doing things were absolutely flawed and if they didn't change they would continue to fall. We wasted our light bulb moment on a chap who thought we just needed fresh impetus and a bit of momentum.

Brentford decided to have a go at things but put together a clever strategy as opposed to chucking money away. If they continue in their current vein, I can see them being a premiership club soon.

A strategy is what can change a clubs fortunes, not half arsing it.

Agreed, you will get no disagreement from me, this is the moment right now to get it done, i know we have had to mistakes before, but that was in the premier league, which is basically the end of the process, we started at that point, now we have a chance to totally change every aspect of the football club, and build something for the long term, and then Rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

Why do people keep talking about a good DoF?
What makes you think we have the people with enough nous to appoint a good one?
And what makes you think a good one would be happy to take on a L1 job?

Back