We dodged a bulet with Simms

Remember thinking our business last summer looked good, and I based it on nout really. Don’t think I’ve ever been more wrong about us. It happens.

We got £35m for the two and spent £34m on 10 players including Simms and Wright.

Logon or register to see this image

(Ephron Mason-Clark was bought in January but immediately loaned back to Peterboro for the season)

Simms cost £3.5m initially. At that time, Everton only had the promise of more money. Simms would still have to come good to reach the targets and we would have to be promoted to earn them the full £8m. If that happened, he'd be worth the extra as promotion is worth £150m.
What happened to Wilson? I thought he looked for you last season but he's been binned off for Collins. Is Collins much better? I'd have thought GK wasn't a priority

Was a regular last season, but a few errors early on this season brought Collins in. Fans looking for an improvement on both next season, but would be happy to keep either as a no. 2

What happened to Wilson? I thought he looked for you last season but he's been binned off for Collins. Is Collins much better? I'd have thought GK wasn't a priority
Was a regular last season, but a few errors early on this season brought Collins in. Fans looking for an improvement on both next season, but would be happy to keep either as a no. 2

I tend to argue with Cov fans about Wilson. He was exemplary last season, kept us in a lot of games. But some of our fans are now downplaying his involvement, saying this was because of the defence, not the keeper. Defences don't save penalties though.

This season we started with an everchanging lineup and back 5 so Wilson, who can be nervous, didn't have a solid start. He made some errors and end of October, Robins made changes to the team and formation. Went to a back 4, kept a consistent defence and brought Collins in. Collins hasn't kept many clean sheets but the fans still support him over Wilson. Wilson was only brought in for cup games and any error was derided by the fans.

Collins still is first keeper, still has mistakes in him and Wilson is now backup.

As Sbarcher says, whether we keep one or both, it's likely Robins will be looking for a new keeper in the summer.

I liked Simms. We may have gone up if that knacker Lampard didn’t recall him.

I’d certainly have paid the money for him last summer. But Speakshitman knows best.

I liked Simms. We may have gone up if that knacker Lampard didn’t recall him.

I’d certainly have paid the money for him last summer. But Speakshitman knows best.
Nobody said the 8m was good business. He’s done great the last couple of months but he was anonymous before that. Not saying he wouldn’t have been a welcome addition as we don’t have a 9 but the price tag put everyone off.

Nobody said the 8m was good business. He’s done great the last couple of months but he was anonymous before that. Not saying he wouldn’t have been a welcome addition as we don’t have a 9 but the price tag put everyone off.
We were asking 10m for an injured centre forward with a similar level of experience at this level, albeit with more goals. Simms was always going to be worth 5 or 6 million at a minimum. The undervaluing of him on here was bonkers.

I think it’s only £8m if all clauses are met such as promotion. I wouldn’t have expected us to pay £8m up front for him. But a similar deal say £4m up front and another £4m if we’re promoted wouldn’t be so bad? Especially given the financial windfall of making it to the Prem.

Back