We can affect change - suggestions for the club thread (off pitch matters)

The club clearly read this board, and monitor social media, as has been evidenced by them being shamed into extending the ticket office and shop hours a while back, announcing stadium repairs recently, and sorting that raggy arsed flag out.

Therefore, we as fans can affect certain changes by sensibly speaking up about things, rather than shouting at shops.

Announced stadium improvements good, and much needed, but it needs better cared for on an ongoing basis. £20m Can’t just be about WiFi, a new pitch, and rail seating. The whole place needs a thorough clean and improvements.

The stadium is a mid to late 90s stadium. It’ll never be a Tottenham Hotspur, nor do fans expect it; it is what it is. But we expect our home to be cared for so we can have pride in it.

Can’t just spend £20m then let it go thereafter; have to keep on top of stuff.

We can’t complete with up the road - and lots of other clubs - financially, but the aim should be for all areas of the club to be first class.

The club motto translates to In pursuit of excellence. It’s high time we tried living up to it. The ‘that’ll do’ culture that pervades needs to stop.

My initial suggestions are as follows:

I think we need to assemble an in house maintenance team. If we have one, give them a decent working budget to sort stuff out and add more staff if needed.

Provide an area on the website for fans to report issues they encounter on a matchday.

Acknowledge issues and report them when fixed, or when programmed if longer term work is needed that can’t be sorted immediately.

When there are good news stories, communicate them. Who knew all the hospitality got updated recently? Only Quinn’s was known about to me. Where are the photos, where are the attempt to make what the club is offering more attractive? Our hospitality section of the website is painfully outdated. Many clubs offer virtual tours when you can see what spaces are like inside. We look like amateur hour by comparison.

Employ much better service staff on a matchday or get them doing more training. Sometimes you ask for something and they stare blankly at you like they haven’t got a clue.

Enhance the regular concourses. Ideally they’d be made wider, but potentially tricky. They can undoubtedly be improved, however.

Make replica strips available more widely. Club needs a presence in sports shops across the region. New retail deal coming in may knacker this, but let’s see.

Ticket office staff need help/more numbers/more resources.

Potential to combine ticket office and retail in Black Cats House, as was planned many years ago.

Have small bins (weighted down inside) dotted around behind the advertising hoardings and instruct stewards and ball boys to grab and dispose of anything within easy reach. The litter yesterday was on and off the pitch and there were multiple opportunities for someone to grab it and dispose of it.

Last edited:

These jobs have been on for ages, or they keep putting them on

Wonder what they’re paying?!

Like everything on the website must be massively out of date as if you click the link to apply it says vacancy not found.

Aye, it’s poor like.

Stoke opened/renovated a black cats bar type offering recently and this is the relevant part of their website. You can do a virtual tour of the entire place.

The club clearly read this board, and monitor social media, as has been evidenced by them being shamed into extending the ticket office and shop hours a while back, announcing stadium repairs recently, and sorting that raggy arsed flag out.

Therefore, we as fans can affect certain changes by sensibly speaking up about things, rather than shouting at shops.

Announced stadium improvements good, and much needed, but it needs better cared for on an ongoing basis. £20m Can’t just be about WiFi, a new pitch, and rail seating. The whole place needs a thorough clean and improvements.

The stadium is a mid to late 90s stadium. It’ll never be a Tottenham Hotspur, nor do fans expect it; it is what it is. But we expect our home to be cared for so we can have pride in it.

Can’t just spend £20m then let it go thereafter; have to keep on top of stuff.

We can’t complete with up the road - and lots of other clubs - financially, but the aim should be for all areas of the club to be first class.

The club motto translates to In pursuit of excellence. It’s high time we tried living up to it. The ‘that’ll do’ culture that pervades needs to stop.

My initial suggestions are as follows:

I think we need to assemble an in house maintenance team. If we have one, give them a decent working budget to sort stuff out and add more staff if needed.

Provide an area on the website for fans to report issues they encounter on a matchday.

Acknowledge issues and report them when fixed, or when programmed if longer term work is needed that can’t be sorted immediately.

When there are good news stories, communicate them. Who knew all the hospitality got updated recently? Only Quinn’s was known about to me. Where are the photos, where are the attempt to make what the club is offering more attractive? Our hospitality section of the website is painfully outdated. Many clubs offer virtual tours when you can see what spaces are like inside. We look like amateur hour by comparison.

Employ much better service staff on a matchday or get them doing more training. Sometimes you ask for something and they stare blankly at you like they haven’t got a clue.

Enhance the regular concourses. Ideally they’d be made wider, but potentially tricky. They can undoubtedly be improved, however.

Make replica strips available more widely. Club needs a presence in sports shops across the region. New retail deal coming in may knacker this, but let’s see.

Ticket office staff need help/more numbers/more resources.

Potential to combine ticket office and retail in Black Cats House, as was planned many years ago.

Have small bins (weighted down inside) dotted around behind the advertising hoardings and instruct stewards and ball boys to grab and dispose of anything within easy reach. The litter yesterday was on and off the pitch and there were multiple opportunities for someone to grab it and dispose of it.
Any chance of them sacking Dodds & proctor if that’s the sake

I think affect is correct in this instance as it is used as a verb. You can affect change, then the result is the effect.
No, to carry out change is to effect it. To change something is to affect it. Effect is also a verb and not just a noun.

Last edited:
No, to carry out change is to effect it. To change something is to affect it. Effect is also a verb and not just a noun.
I stand corrected. I always thought it was used in this instance but apparently this is a common mistake. Everyday is a school day and I’m happy to admit when I am wrong!!

I think you've covered everything really & i wholeheartedly agree with it all.
The investment announcement is good news but there needs to be day to day maintenance. Broken, toilets, hand dryers, leaking concourses, should all be fixed as soon as the problem arises, I really don't see why that's such a hard thing to ask for. It's an entertainment venue & you wouldn't expect to go to the cinema & get leaked on or have toilets that don't work.
I'd also have more respect for the board if they said the whole BCB thing was to fleece them to pay for a refurb to the BCB but iirc BCB isn't even in the plans for this summers investment. Trying to make out they didn't do it for the money suggests they just wanted to roll out the red carpet for our biggest rivals & that's worse.

Last edited:
Probably need to reduce waste as much as possible
Reduce energy consumption and reduce operational costs. Make more off field ventures, conference and events based on strict return on investment
The club needs to identify where it’s losing money are look to ways to stop this. This is especially important with the profit and sustainability rules affecting the EFL

The wages they’ll be offering for that word salad maintenance job would only make it feasible for an experienced lad in his mid 60s whose kids have fled the nest and mortgage is paid and hated golf and was getting bored walking the dog……..and there’s not many of those will have the looked for computer skills.

Back