We are still the bookies favorites to win the league

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

Horseshit. Of course projected probability is a huge factor. How do you think a market is formed prior to any bets being made?

It’s formed based on where the bookies think the money will go. Which isn’t necessarily a function of probability. For instance man Utd and arsenal were at the start of the season much shorter than Leicester, although I’d have said Leicester were more likely to win it. Because of where the money will likely go

It’s formed based on where the bookies think the money will go. Which isn’t necessarily a function of probability. For instance man Utd and arsenal were at the start of the season much shorter than Leicester, although I’d have said Leicester were more likely to win it. Because of where the money will likely go

On balance, what a load of rubbish. If nobody had backed Liverpool, but plenty had backed West Brom, Liverpool would still be much shorter as they are a more likely winner.

On balance, what a load of rubbish. If nobody had backed Liverpool, but plenty had backed West Brom, Liverpool would still be much shorter as they are a more likely winner.

If Bill Gates went and threw every penny he could on West Brom winning the league then you wouldn’t be able to get odds on them winning as they’d diminish so much. That’s how it works. If no one at all bet on Liverpool, they’d offer really good odds on them, to spread the field and protect their potential losses against other outcomes.

“I’d have said”. Clearly, however most other people betting
If Bill Gates went and threw every penny he could on West Brom winning the league then you wouldn’t be able to get odds on them winning as they’d diminish so much. That’s how it works. If no one at all bet on Liverpool, they’d offer really good odds on them, to spread the field and protect their potential losses against other outcomes.
They wouldn’t have to offer more attractive prices on other teams. They would have no potential losses on Bill’s daft bet after about 2 months of the season once it’s obvious it’s a losing bet.

Whatsmore Bill will have wasted a lifetime of invention and philanthropy on one silly bet because he had a soft spot for Brendan, Lawrie and Cyrill in the 70’s.

You are plain wrong tbf. I'll guarantee you Brazil will be a shorter price than England in the next World Cup, and I'll guarantee you England will have immensely more money backed on them.

You are plain wrong tbf. I'll guarantee you Brazil will be a shorter price than England in the next World Cup, and I'll guarantee you England will have immensely more money backed on them.

Considering the bookies vary per country you’ll definitely be wrong. For the 2018 World Cup I believe we were second favourites with the English bookmakers. Doubt we were probabilisticly the second most likely team to win it.
“I’d have said”. Clearly, however most other people betting

They wouldn’t have to offer more attractive prices on other teams. They would have no potential losses on Bill’s daft bet after about 2 months of the season once it’s obvious it’s a losing bet.

Whatsmore Bill will have wasted a lifetime of invention and philanthropy on one silly bet because he had a soft spot for Brendan, Lawrie and Cyrill in the 70’s.

Clueless. And we aren’t on about 2 months into the season were on about what would happen today, if the bet was placed this morning, to the odds.

Back